People's Republic of Illinois

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Old Guy, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'm confused by many statements in that article. I don't know if this is stupidity on the reporter's part, or if he/she has an agenda.

The reporter wanted for the names of cardholders as well as information about the weapons each permit holder is authorized to carry.

It goes on to say that if you publish a list of gun owners, you are also publishing a list of everyone who doesn't" carry a firearm.

Then they say something about, as an example, of an individual who may have become ineligible to carry.

This is Illinois. There are two states in this country where there is absolutely no provision for "carrying" a gun. That it is totally impossible for a regular citizen to legally carry a gun. One of them is Illinois.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Obviously there are those in Il that do have carry permits, and just as obviously they have to register the gun that they carry. Probably aren't many of these folks.
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I just can't rationalize why Madigan is saying the information "must be released". It's just stupid.
  5. Juker

Juker New Member

It's a mystery, alright. There is no provision for concealed carry in Illinois. Zero, zip, nada. The people who worded this Freedom of Information request obviously don't understand that.

Part of the issue seems to be finding those with gun owners whose FOID cards have expired - even that isn't a matter of public concern. If a gun owner is caught with a gun and no FOID, or an expired FOID, it's automatic jail time. So if a criminal who never had a FOID uses a gun, same thing - jail time.

This is a move by anti-gun lobbies, pure and simple. The public has no need for a list of FOID holders. In free states where the pols don't have their heads quite so far up their sphincters, law-abiding citizens have a Constitutional right to own guns without everyone knowing about it.

The IL State Police do a fine job of catching FOID applicants who aren't qualified. And when a FOID holder purchases a firearm, the dealer confirms their FOID status with the state police. So the system works.
  6. garydude

garydude Member

Carver, my understanding of the law is that all owners of firearms have to be issued a FOID (firearms owner ID card). If you had a shotgun to go bird hunting with, you needed a FOID. There's the rub; if you did have a gun in the house legally, then that would become public knowledge.

Not having a FOID in Illinois means you cannot go to any shooting facility and shoot your firearm (they ask for it before you are allowed to shoot). You can rent a gun from the facility, as you are not the "owner". You could not legally own a gun in Il. without one.

If I was a gun owner in Illinois I would be burning up the phones to my representatives. Kudos to the police and NRA for fighting this invasion of privacy.

I would like to hear from some of our Il. members more about the FOID, because my knowledge of it is spotty at best.
  7. Artemus

Artemus New Member

Here is another example of a State treating lawful gun owners as criminals.In Massachusetts,all of the info on lawful gun owners and their firearms are kept on record by the Criminal History Board.Ya just have to shake your heads.
  8. Juker

Juker New Member

There are several TFF members in IL, and we've posted a lot of info on the beloved FOID recently.

To buy a gun or ammo in IL, you must have a FOID. It's been that way since 1969. FOID is issued by the IL State Police after an extensive background check. If you're clean, no record, you're supposed to get your FOID within 30 days. They are currently backlogged because of the situation in Chicago, and there are many thousands of new applicants.

Not all FOID holders own guns; lots of folks like to go to the ranges here and rent whatever strikes their fancy for a day's shooting.

It's a pain. I'm certain the application process has stopped a lot of felons from being able to own a gun legally, but the background check/waiting period accomplishes the same thing.

A FOID costs $10 for ten years.
  9. garydude

garydude Member

Thanks Juker for the information. I will review the previous posts and learn more about this.
  10. Juker

Juker New Member

No worries. Here's the state police website with more info:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

One good thing about a FOID - once you have it, you can carry a firearm in your vehicle or on your person as long as it's encased and unloaded, and the ammunition can be in the same case. There's a whole fanny pack science here. Courts have ruled that a console in a vehicle is sufficient. So even without concealed carry, law-abiding citizens aren't completely impotent.
  11. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

There is no good thing about a FOID card!! Why do you have to register any of your firearms and keep a card that identifies what you own? Why do you have to have a card to purchase ammo? I know that is what you guys have to live with but it is totally wrong!! You should be able to purchase ammo as long as you are 18 or 21 without any special card. None of us should have to have any kind of purchase permits, but we do. However, what I purchase is my business not the states or the Feds. If we allow this to be the norm and don't fight it we will eventually fall in line with the UK and Australia and be forced to give up our guns. As to having a gun in a case with the ammo removed, that is a terrible scenario if you get attacked. It is bad enough to deal with the adrenaline when you have a loaded gun on your body let alone having to fumble through things to get at it. We are with you guys but massive reform must take place and the residents of Illinois have to enable this.
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

*carrying concealed

In my state, it is currently legal for anybody to carry an openly displayed firearm.

The only people who are allowed to carry concealed in the state of Wisconsin are serving LEOs and LEOs who have retired in good standing with the department can get a concealed carry permit.

That's kind of why I hope Walker gets over this union stuff and gets to passing either a Shall Issue permit system or a Constitutional Carry system where you don't need a permit.

I think it's silly that they allow people to carry openly with no permit -- not that there's something wrong with that -- yet as soon as you conceal it, it's considered breaking the law. Outrageous.

And it's all because of ignorant people who have never been around guns their entire lives.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  13. Juker

Juker New Member

Yeah, I know (heavy sigh). The FOID is an affront to the Constitution. My point was, without concealed carry, having a FOID lets us walk on the right side of the law. We're outta here in a year or so, escaping to one of the free states.
  14. Juker

Juker New Member

QUOTE: There is no good thing about a FOID card!!

Yeah, I know (heavy sigh). The FOID is an affront to the Constitution. My point was, without concealed carry, having a FOID lets us walk on the right side of the law. We're outta here in a year or so, escaping to one of the free states.
  15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Well I feel the same way about the FOID card as I do about 'permits' or the entire permit system.

The Second Amendment does not say you need to go get special permission -- nor does any Constitutionally-protected right say you need permission.

In my opinion, the FOID card, as well as any other type of 'permit' system or registration is an infringement to the Second Amendment.

I view them in the same way as poll taxes. An impediment to a Constitutional right. Therefore a violation of Due Process of Law.

And I'll bet if someone really had the time, money and effort to fight permit systems/registration as a violation of civil rights, they would win.