peperstick recipe

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by catfish83861, Jan 25, 2007.

1. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Just wondering if anyone had a pepperstick recipe they would share.? Thanks in advance. catfish :)
  2. This is one my family likes, catfish:

PEPPER STEAK

1 1/4 lb. beef top round or sirloin steaks, about 1" thick
    1/4 c. vegetable oil
    1 c. water
    1 med. onion, cut into 1/4" slices
    1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    2 med. green peppers, cut into strips (3/4" wide)
    Uncooked instant rice
    1 tbsp. cornstarch
    2-3 tsp. sugar (optional)
    2 tbsp. soy sauce
    2 med. tomatoes

Trim fat from beef; cut beef into strips, 2 x 1 x 1/4 inch. heat oil in large skillet. Add beef; cook, turning frequently, until brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in water, onion, garlic salt and ginger. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 12-15 minutes for round steak, 5-8 minutes for sirloin. Add green pepper strips during last 5 minutes of simmering.

Rice goes well with this, by the way. Also, I often grind up some black pepper corns and pound them into the steak before it is cooked. Makes it hotter and spicier. :D
  3. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

Peperstick is just about the same as my sausage recipie, except that you do not put very much pork into it and you have to have access to someone that has a smoke house.

You have to stuff the hog casings to about the thickness of a slim jim and then you have to hang it in a smoke house for about a day until it dries out.
    Making sure not to over cook the meat. It should be smoked and not fried or baked.

The grease wil drain out the ends of the hog casings and only the meat and spices will remain.
  4. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

I normally use sheep casings, is the reason you use the hog casings so that they will drain better? Would you mind sharing your sausage recipe?? I will understand if you prefer not to. Thanks for your reply, :) catfish
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Bob

Most meat lockers will carry a heck of a good tasting blend for making sausage that they will sell you by the Lb...You can add to it/heat it up with your own stuff. I need to get a garden going this year because I'm almost out, but I like drying habaneros and jalapenos and grinding or crushing them into a powder, add that to your meat before you send it through the grinder/stuffer.

I know this isant your first rodeo but, your local locker will also, often times, carry a casing that is thicker than the sheep casings, made of some sort of edible "plastic type substance" (wish I could recall what it's called) this is especially valuable for the first timer who is making links as it is so much more durable.

I hang them dudes from hooks in the offset smoker at about 300 for about four hours (or untill they swell up to about twice their size) then allow them to cool, then eat like a gluttonious barbarian. :D

Do you smoke yours too?

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

6. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Hey Donny, I think you are referring to collagen casings. Might be incorrect but I think that's the one your talking about.We use them a lot but I prefer the natural (hog) casings. Collagen casings are stronger and more uniform I believe. Gotta go and make some breakfast links. :cool: Later catfish
  7. Cat, here's a pretty darn good recipe for pepperstick (instead of pepper steak this time :eek: ). Nice and hot.

20 lbs. ground deer burger
    20 lbs. ground pork
    2 lg. heads garlic
    3 pints of water
    16 tsp. red pepper
    29 tsp. black pepper
    16 tsp. dry mustard
    3/4 cup tenderquick seasoning
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup pickling salt

Mix the deer burger and pork together. Place the water and peeled garlic heads in a blender and mix well. Add to the burger and mix. Mix the remaining ingredients together and combine with the meat. Mix very well. You may need to add additional water. Stuff the meat into casings and smoke.