Pepper recipes . . .

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Pistolenschutze, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Does anyone have some good pepper recipes out there that they would like to share? I'm talking about ways to use fresh peppers in things like salsa or other dishes. I currently have 12 different varieties of pepper plants in the ground, in some cases several of each, ranging from sweet bells to hotter-than-the-hinges-of-hell cowhorns, ceyennes, and hot bananas. If they come off like I hope, I suspect I will have enough peppers to feed an army of Texans! :D

Also, what is the best way to go about freezing or canning peppers? In the past, I've only planted a few, just enough to keep us supplied during the summer. This year I went a little bonkers. :eek:;)
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Rich, I don't know if you remember this thread, or if you planted Anaheim, but this stuff is delicious! I could sit and eat it until I explode...

An Army of Texans, huh? Well, just call me an Army Of One and start sending 'em to me! LOL

I know you'll come up with several recipes before it's over and fully expect you to post up the results here! :)

As far as preserving goes, man I've done it all, but my favorite (and most time consuming) has been to dehydrate and grind into a chili powder... This stuff lasts forever in a Ziploc bag tossed into the pantry.

Here is a PDF that you may find useful here...

Good luck and give us a sitrep as often as possible. :D

Crpdeth
  3. I did indeed plant Anaheims, Donny, five of them to be precise. That is a pepper we use quite often since it fits so well into many recipes. Let's see . . . I have hot bananas, sweet bananas, Cayennes, Bells (four or five varieties), Big Jims, Sandias, Poblanos, and Cowhorns. I may have missed a couple. Anyway, at last count there were 22 plants split among 14 different varieties. ;)

I definitely plan to dehydrate some and make pepper, especially with the Cayennes. Making Cayenne pepper is the main reason I planted those. I may do the same with some of the Poblanos so I can make Ancho. I also hope to freeze quite a few for use during the cold months. I often add peppers to many dishes just as you do. A pepper or two chopped into a meatloaf, for example, makes a rather bland dish really worth eating! I was going to plant at least one Habernero, but the local plant dealer didn't seem to have any this year. Could be they didn't have a license for deadly peppers. :D
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Don't forget to cut the water off after you have some mature chili's, Rich... Bring out that heat! Rick taught me that one and boy does it work, as you know. Sure wish you could have found a habanero plant... I'm going absolutely nuts living in this apartment, if I don't find a place soon where I can plant a garden, fire up the smokers, etc I swear I'm gonna be sent off to Terrell.

My brother has a garden though, I think I may just stick a few Anaheim plants out there so I'll be set for salsa this winter... I've waited a bit late for that, but since they've pulled most of the onions, there will be more than enough room now, where it may have crowded them out several weeks ago.

Cowhorns... Man, I haven't had those in years, I may have to plant a couple of those too. :D

Crpdeth
  5. Of all the available pepper varieties, I think the Anaheims are perhaps the most versatile, with maybe the Big Jim peppers a close second. Both are just hot enough to add flavor, but not so hot your teeth melt. :D I will keep looking for a Habernero plant; if I find one and it produces well, I'll send you a few. I may buy one more plant today. I don't have any Fresno or Serrano chilies down yet, and I definitely want some more hot ones in the mix. :D
  6. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have several peppers planted too. Pimentos, bananas, bell, cayanne, serrano, ancho, habenero, cherry red, anaheim, and maybe something else but I don't remember now. I just rinse the peppers off then dry them and in the freezer they go in a ziplock. They work great for cooking that way.
  7. Thanks, flannelman. That's pretty much what I thought on the freezing idea. We froze some chopped peppers last year and they seemed fine for cooking and salsa making. I think this year I will do as you suggest and freeze some whole ones. They may lose some crispness, but for cooking that really doesn't matter much.