PepperSpray

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by lohki13, Jul 29, 2007.

1. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Okay well i'm going to start runnning in a month (weightloss goal plan) . And there are a lot of stray dogs and dogs people don't watch. I'm afraid of big dogs and was told to get some pepper spray so one come at me i mace it. What does it cost most of the time and whats a good brand . For the human element i'm bringing my tanto neck knife (wish i could jsut bring my brass knuckles be so much easier). Any input would be helpful.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

What's wrong with wearing a gun ?
  3. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

You're going to run in Floriday? in August? :eek:

Well, good luck.

I had to lose about forty pounds myself. Began in February. I've lost 33 pounds. Did it with Atkins plan and walking. Lot's of brisk walking. :D

I either carry a good sized lock back knife, or my Kel-tec P32. The P3AT would be a good choice too. Both are very light weight, easily secured.

Don't know if pepper spray is a good dog repellent. Is that what the mail carriers carry?
  4. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Guys...he's 17 :), I would say crap on the pepper spray and carry a nice menacing knife :)
  5. rondba

rondba New Member

I don't think pepperspray is your best choice and there are several reasons why.
    1. To be effective you have to make contact with the skin of the animal. This could be hard to do on a long haired or slick haired animal.
    2. Peperspray effectivness relies on whatever you are spraying to have an alergic reaction to the O/C in the spray. A lot of animals are not alergic to it and there is about 3-5 percent of humans that it will not effect.
    3. There is a 10-15 second delay for the pepperspray to take effect. If you get enough on a dog to be effective you still have to fight this dog until thr spray takes effect. Now you have the spray on the dog and yourself and it is going to effect you worse that the dog.
    4. Blowback. If the wind is blowing you have to be careful about the use of O/C spray. You don't want it to blow back on you. Now you are blinded , in extreme pain, you will not be able to run and you have a dog trying to tear your throat open. Not a good day.

I think you would be better off with a firearm or a knife.
  6. patrol

patrol New Member

I dont think you can have OC spray unless you are 18 but if you can get the ASP brand with the keychain canister delivery system. That is the best system ive seen, it is a cartridge canister inside an alluminum small cylinder with a thumb safety and a button naturally located on the top where your thumb rest naturally and the gas comes from the bottom at high pressure. Ive used OC at work in the line of duty on dogs and it does effect them regardless of what you hear although im not so sure it wasnt the sound of the hiss"" of the spray as it was the actual spray itself. First check to see if it's legal for you to carry. As for a knife, unless you are hard core and can commit to stabbing a dog to death dont waste your time carrying one, instead carry a stick or lightweight bat. I know when I go on exercise walks I carry either a J frame or my asp baton but im trained and both and allowed to do so, dont break the law.
  7. swabjocky

swabjocky New Member

Yup, Patrol got it right. Check your local laws about using OC. It is very effective against dog's. As a matter of fact it was developed by the Postal Department for their carriers to use against dog attacks.

I've used it very effectively against 2 legged critters with great success. There is nothing more scary than being in a bad area alone (or even with a partner) W.O.G. (With Out Gas). ;oD
  8. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Thanks for the reply i wish i could just carry a gun lol.
  9. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Freeze +P is a good pepper spray. It's a stream rather than a spray.
  10. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Lohki, Let me ask you a serious question.
    Would you rather be unharmed and in trouble for carrying a gun or would you rather be in the hospital for a vicious dog attack and not in trouble ?
  11. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

i would carry my gun not afraid of getting in trouble it's just my dad doesn't want me to get in trouble and ruin my chances of going in the military witch i understand completely. I'm always making sure when I'm with my friends that I'm not the one doing the stupidest illegal thing.
  12. Choctaw

Choctaw New Member

And that's a very long time. I have been relatively unimpressed with the results of using OC throughout the years.
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Ahh hell, have any of you nay sayers even tried to spray a dog?

Lohki, I run at night and have been confronted by many dogs (four last year)...Get your self a can of MKIII here... and watch them turn into spineless puppies.

The link I posted was the first result I found and was to show you what brand I purchase...It is a widely used mail order for LEO...A LEO friend of mine turned me on to the stuff, but if there are credentials required, you can find it other places as well...I'm not LEO and have two rather large cans of the stuff...PM me if you have any problem finding it.

Crpdeth
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

PM Recieved and returned Lohki...If you have problems with that particular site try this one here.

I wouldn't bother with the little keychain toys...The 1.47 OZ is the smallest I've ever bought, and I really like the 3.0 OZ [​IMG]

I've re-read what some of the folks here have said just because I really dont understand why someone would say something didn't work when it has saved my butt countless times and would comment that although it has never taken more then half a second to turn an aggressive dog into a whinning pup (in all my cases) I do see Ron's point in saying that a long haired dog has some sort of protection from the spray...Just let me say, when a dog means business, he is literally two feet from you, barking and showing his teeth...It is no trick to fill his face with a powerfull jet of this stuff.

Crpdeth
  15. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Thanks again for the links now i remember why i love this site so helpful.
  16. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Just speaking from my experience....

I used OC spray on a dog charging to attack a few years ago. (I saw the dog preparing to charge and pulled the canister from my exwifes waistband where she had her keys clipped to her shorts.) Big chow mix. He instantly stopped and bowed his head gagging in mucus. The wind blew a taste onto my exwife and I, but we waived at the owner and kept on walking and laughed. If I'd of used the revolver in my pocket I'd of been waiting around for the cops to sort it all out!

In Personnel Security Team school (bodyguard) they sprayed us with OC a few occasions and made us fight through 9 stations of people flogging us with hard rubber weapons. You had to defend yourself differently at each station from simulated blunt weapon attacks. It was HARD! And it HURT! The OC spray burned instantly on the skin and every second it scorched worse! (10-15 seconds...yeah! By then it felt like wasps were crapping napalm on my entire forehead and my eyelids were swelled nearly over my eyeballs!) I can tell you a man would have to have a good reason to keep on coming at you with that in his eyes.

Will it replace a gun? No. It gives you the option of not shooting though!!!!!

Is it always going to work on men? No. A drunk or stoned guy may ignore it awhile and it takes a lot more to slow him down.

On dogs? I wouldn't try it on a rabid dog or a berserk animal, but the average dog will forget you when his face and throat/lungs burst into pulsing hot sharp flames.

If you carry a knife/baton, a blinded foe is safer to charge/parry and strike at. I learned the application/counter-application of that. Think of it as a "force-multiplier" for increased survivability. Defensively, once applied, it would be easier for you to maintain distance and select strike points with your blunt/edged weapon until the attack ceased.
  17. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Pepper spray in the face will probably stop any attack. I suggest (on two-legged attackers) a good spray to the face, and if this stops him, then a good long burst to the crotch. In a short while, pants WILL come off and the screaming will begin. Just tell the cops to look for the crying, half naked guy.
    Bill
  18. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

I am so buying some now. I'm ordering some from the first site Crpdeth gave .:D