percussion back to flint ---help

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by marlas1too, Nov 3, 2010.

1. marlas1too

marlas1too New Member

I'm new here and want to know if there is a way to change my Kentucky 45 cal rifle back to flint --is there anyone out there that can direct me in the right direction
  2. Oldbull

Oldbull New Member

First of all, is your rifle made by CVA? If so then you can NOT convert the percussion to flint. If not CVA then you need to determine is if your percussion lock was originally a flintlock lock. If not then you need to find a flintlock lock that is the same size as your lock. The second thing to determine is what type of breech plug is fitted to the barrel. If the breech plug has the nipple screwed into it then you have another problem that I can not answer and you should contact you local gunsmith for advice. If the barrel is drilled from the side and has a "drum" (per Track of the Wolf's catalog page 412) then you can remove the drum and install a flash hole liner. The flash hole liner plus a new flintlock lock are all that is usually needed to convert from percussion to flint.
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    IF the BP gun is set up with a nipple drum that will remove then it is an easy job that will cost about $150. You have to buy a flint lock that is the same plate as the percussion lock. You will probably have to take a bit more wood out of the lock area for the flint lock but this will not hurt if you want to switch back to percussion. Then you have to order a touch hole liner the SAME threads as on the nipple drum and screw that into the barrel. When you switch back and forth you remove the touch hole liner and flint lock, install drum and percussion lock, and when ready to switch back you do the exact opposite. I have a 32 long rifle set up like that.
    www.dixiegunworks.com
    can help you with all you need and if you give them a call, tell them what gun you have if a company made one they will tell you the exact parts you need.

As to CVAs, some of them can be done as to switching BUT TCs cannot that I know of.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  4. rammed

rammed New Member

+1 on the answers you got above but a pic of your rifle will get you a more definitive answer.