The Firearms Forum banner

Percussion rifle misfire remedy

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Buffalochip 
#1 ·
I've had misfires twice cost me nice bucks and more than once while emptying my rifle after a mornng in the woods I've had my gun misfire.

The remedy? The night before a hunt, I make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction, load the rifle, but NO primer, and then carefully remove the nipple. I make sure it is clean and then grind a pinch of blackpowder or Pyrodex in the fold of a thin piece of cardboard until it is a fine powder and then use the crease of the paper to pour it into the nipple hole Don't pack it in or fill it to the point that the nipple will compress it. I then gently tap the side of the rifle to settle it and carefully replace the nipple. If that gun doesn't go off now, you've either got a bad cap or the powder is wet.

#2 ·
Before I leave the house I fire a cap, then load a blank charge and fire it. Doing that has never failed me. I also inspect the cap I put on my hunting load to make sure it has priming compound in it. If I see a deer it wont be the guns fault if I don't get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.