Perfect Carry gun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Gail of Maine, Oct 27, 2012.

1. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    So you don't "know" it at all, you're guessing and assuming that is the case.
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

You'll want a small single action semi-auto in .32acp or .380 - Generally, the .380's will have more kick to them. You'd barely feel a .32
  3. squaw man

squaw man New Member

My wife carries a Ruger LCP .380 with a Crimson Trace in a cell phone look alike case that she got from Sportsmans Guide also a Taurus K frame 7 shot
    .38 special in a concealed carry purse also from the Guide.
  4. BIGHOUSE

BIGHOUSE New Member

Seecamp .32 or .308 a little on the heavy side for the size, but it is a high quality stainless steal masterpiece.
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

+2 on the Bersa

Took three tries til we got her the right choice for carry and it was the Bersa.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

+3 on the Bersa. Good feel, good price and a good shooter.
  7. johnny ringo

johnny ringo Member

Take a good look at a Sig Sauer P230 in 380 caliber. My wife has arthritis and she is not bothered by the recoil and finds it easy and accureate to shoot.
  8. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

My Wife has been Carrying for over 25 yrs and has accumilated several Little Revolvers and Semi Autos
    Her main preference is one of her S&W Airweights. 22, 22Mag and 38 Calibers

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  9. gunslinger69

gunslinger69 New Member

Take a look at a Glock 19 or 26 and you'll never look back. Great carry guns.
  10. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

Everyone is different, and you'll need to do a lot of searching and have a lot of patience to find your 'perfect carry gun'. If you're impatient, the closest firearm for what you're lookin' for in my mind is the Glock 26. Compact, reliable, plenty of accessories; plus if the grip is too short you can always buy the pearce's grip extension.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i love my p230 as well.. however.. try a p238

I love it even more!!
  12. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

+1

Another great option is to go to a range with a shop {or a LGS with a range} and try out some of theirs. Usually involves a low $ fee and ammo. This will put dozens of different pistols or revolvers of varying calibers in your hands to see what you like. If you go this route, buy from them rather than try to save $10 - It's the right thing to do for their service.
  13. soundguy

never hurts to shhot as many examples as possible before spending $$!!
  14. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

Legal reasons for various trigger pull strengths came out of east coast courts. Some ambulance chaser tried to blame a light trigger for a police officer "accidentally" shooting a suspect. I believe that the attorney tried to portray a 6 pound trigger pull as being "too light." Later on that was when things like "The New Jersey Trigger" and "The New York Triggers" came out with a 13 pound trigger pull on them. Never mind that the police officer in the case admitted to deliberately shooting the dirtbag because the dirtbag was armed and trying to kill the officer. But the scumbag's attorney kept trying to muddy up the waters and claiming the shooting was an accident. So somebody decided somewhere that police pistols needed to have heavy triggers of the 13 pound variety...
  15. DesertRose

DesertRose New Member

As a woman, I have carried various revolvers and semi auto pistols (depending on what I had at the time). Being acquainted with, and liking, large calibers, this has been my preferred choice. Size dictates what is carried most of the time. Usually a Charter Arms 44 spl. I've had for 30 years. But have carried a Colt .45 70 series (which like a fool traded off 25 years ago). Once in a while it is a 380 Makarov.

The Charter Arms has a very nice, crisp trigger pull in single action. Double action is decent. Nothing was done to it since it was bought. It is small enough to be carried concealed if needed. But not too heavy. Very controllable with the Packmeyer grips I put on soon after I got it (the wooden grips were too small and fat for my liking).

The only problem I have is with holsters. The majority are made for men who have longer waists than women. Men also don't have the "hip" problem most women have. So your weapon of choice tends to poke you uncomfortably in unexpected places.
  16. LRChops

LRChops Former Guest

I have spent many years on the quest for the perfect conceale carry gun. .380 is mostly a useless round and .45 the most effective. I have tried Ruger LCP, Kel Tec .380, compact glock, Kahr PM45, S&W lightweight 5 shots, and so on. No matter what I try, I always revert back to my S&W titanium .38 snub nose 5 shot. It is light, small, comfortable, and has a powerful round! Next in line is the Kahr PM45!
  17. soundguy

.380 useless?

how many bad guys have you shot, and it was ineffective?

how was your shot placement?

# of shots fired?

type of ammo?
  18. GilaDan

GilaDan Member

Gail, lots of good advice here. Shooting various options at a range, if possible, is high priority. If not, do you have some friends who have some of these gun options to try out?

I too would recommend trying a Bersa Thunder 380 - they make one with a CC on it which stands for Conceal Carry. It is the one I have. It does kick a little but not as much as factory 38 spl loads. I have been very impressed with the Bersa Thunder 380. It is not a real expensive gun ($300 range) but is surprisingly well made and functions very well.

I hesitate to mention this but there is one possibility for you to keep your revolver and be able to practice using it with less recoil. If you know of someone who reloads ammo talk to them. 38 spl loads can be loaded down to very little kick that make practice fun. HOWEVER, I do not recommend shooting reloads that you haven't participated in their loading. I would never shoot reloads by other people other than my family who I know how careful they are. So you would need to be present at time of reloading to mainly double check the powder charge. So, this may or may not be an option to you. As far as the kick goes on critical defense loads you might carry in your gun, if you use the firearm in self-defense, you will not be worrying about the kick.

I reload 38 spl loads for my wife to shoot in her Ruger 357. She loves it and keeps me darn busy reloading. They are lighter loads than she keeps in the gun for self-defense. Good luck to you...
  19. Conman

Conman Member

The OP, GAIL IN MAINE, bought her choice back in NOVEMBER. She hasn't been back on the forum since late November.

" ordered the Charter Arms 9 mm and its back ordered for several weeks but I'll wait. Thanks for the advice, I will report back about it, they have a 40 mm & 45 mm just like it. "

SHE NO LONGER REQUIRES INPUTS ON WHICH FIREARM TO BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. WTHines

WTHines Member

Bersa 380 is mighty fine but IMHO its little brother the Bersa Thunder is also just as good and contrary to many beliefs, is an adequate weapon for protection. Equipted with CrimsonTrace grips is truely a magnificent little weapon. Loaded with GOOD ammo, it will drop any intruder instantly and in times of stress, the little red dot that simply stated eliminates the need for short sight length does fit the bill wonderfully. I know many that think they cannot get by on anything less than 44 mag or similar but I have found through my 65 years, accurately placed 40 grains of lead will drop "most" big game anilmals of the lower 48. Intruders into the home and concealed carry, the little thunder will allow anyone, with practice to place a double tap exactly where needed instantly! Now, that said, I expect to be told like many men feel, bigger is better. My personal carry weapon of choice is 9mm Browning High Standard also equipted with CrimsonTrace grips. As Mister T said, pitty the fool that gets in thee way of either of those weapons.