Perfect Carry gun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Gail of Maine, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Ruger_Fan

Ruger_Fan Former Guest

Have you had the hammer and trigger springs changed on your 38? Many new guns come with springs that are to stiff. They use the heavy springs due to legal reasons. A new spring kit is a lot less expensive than a new gun.

My gunsmith put a new spring kit in a $200 gun he got stuck with. The darned thing shoots as good as a lot of $500 guns. It's a Rock Island knock off of the Colt Detective. Rock Island bought the patent for the detective. Just a few springs and it shoots as Colt intended it to shoot.
  2. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    What would those legal reasons be?
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Ruger's new polymer revolver, the LCR in 38 or .357. Under $500, reliable and very lightweight.

don't skimp on price too much, look for a quality used gun before downgrading to a lesser quality new gun is my .02

you get what you pay for (if you're lucky)
  4. Ruger_Fan

Ruger_Fan Former Guest

I am not a lawyer. If you want an explanation I would call a lawyer. All I know is to avoid safety lawsuits.
  5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I never herd of "legal reasons" for heavier springs from the factory they put in the springs that the gun was designed for.
    You can get spring kits to lighten the trigger pull but do not make them to light.
    Mike
  6. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    So you don't "know" it at all, you're guessing and assuming that is the case.
  7. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

You'll want a small single action semi-auto in .32acp or .380 - Generally, the .380's will have more kick to them. You'd barely feel a .32
  8. squaw man

squaw man New Member

My wife carries a Ruger LCP .380 with a Crimson Trace in a cell phone look alike case that she got from Sportsmans Guide also a Taurus K frame 7 shot
    .38 special in a concealed carry purse also from the Guide.
  9. BIGHOUSE

BIGHOUSE New Member

Seecamp .32 or .308 a little on the heavy side for the size, but it is a high quality stainless steal masterpiece.
  10. Airdale

Airdale Member

+2 on the Bersa

Took three tries til we got her the right choice for carry and it was the Bersa.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

+3 on the Bersa. Good feel, good price and a good shooter.
  12. johnny ringo

johnny ringo Member

Take a good look at a Sig Sauer P230 in 380 caliber. My wife has arthritis and she is not bothered by the recoil and finds it easy and accureate to shoot.
  13. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

My Wife has been Carrying for over 25 yrs and has accumilated several Little Revolvers and Semi Autos
    Her main preference is one of her S&W Airweights. 22, 22Mag and 38 Calibers

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  14. gunslinger69

gunslinger69 New Member

Take a look at a Glock 19 or 26 and you'll never look back. Great carry guns.
  15. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

Everyone is different, and you'll need to do a lot of searching and have a lot of patience to find your 'perfect carry gun'. If you're impatient, the closest firearm for what you're lookin' for in my mind is the Glock 26. Compact, reliable, plenty of accessories; plus if the grip is too short you can always buy the pearce's grip extension.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012