The Firearms Forum banner

Perfect Carry gun

9K views 51 replies 37 participants last post by  ejkoechling 
#1 ·
I am looking for a good ladies carry gun, want fairly lightweight but not so much kick that it bites. I have a Chic Lady 38 special that has a hard trigger pull (single action revolver) and it hurts my hand when I shoot. Would like reliable but lower price end. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#2 ·
My wife has a Sig P238 HD (stainless). She loves it. It is pretty soft shooting and has an excellent trigger. It is a "cocked and locked" gun so all trigger pulls are very light. Also, the slide is one of the easiest to rack that she or I ever encountered.

Good luck with your selection.

BTW, we also have Sig P238 Nitron that we bought at Academy Sports because it was very inexpensive ($479). It is an aluminum framed gun and is a little lighter than the P238 HD, but it is a pretty soft recoiling gun too.

#4 ·
I'd offer a suggestion, but advising someone on a new carry gun is a lot like telling them what underwear to buy. ;) No thanks. That said, you can often make a pistol more comfortable (recoil, etc.) just by putting custom grips on it that fit your hand better. Kinda like tailored undies. :D

#5 ·
Not in the lower price end, but a S&W M632
Shoot .32 H&Rmagnums with almost no recoil
and carry the .327 FedMag's for SD.
If you trust Taurus to be reliable, CDNN Investments
has the M327's for $229-$249 [I've had two for a year
with absolutely no issues, and great shooters]
Or a Ruger SP-101 .327FedMag

#9 ·
You might want to try some gun shops that have pistols for rent with an indoor range. That way you could try out different pistols before making up your mind. When you go to such a place, you will need to rent or bring hearing protection, ammo and protective glasses. You might also want to call ahead if you find an indoor range near you to see if they have any restrictions on firearms or ammunition. One pistol you may want to consider is a Bersa .380 semi-automatic pistol. Bersa pistols are very accurate, easy to shoot, easy on recoil and are comfortable to handle.

#11 ·
hate to say it, but this is like trying to recommend a scotch to someone. everybody's taste is different. but then, had a petite girl next to me on the range a few weeks back with a lc9, she handled it really well.

#13 ·
There (in my opinion) is no way how to tell someone what would make a good carry gun.
My fist suggestion, would be visit a few gun shops in your area and pick up and handle as many as possible and find one that will fit your hand.
One that "feels" right to you. I've owned and still do own, several handguns and when it came time to chose "that 'perfect' carry gun', I hit the gun shops!
I thought I knew what would make a good carry gun and after hitting the gun shops, I happen to find just what was right "for me".
That being said, I found the Glock 19 compact (9mm) that fit the bill for me. And as in the past and up to that point, I would have never thought I would have chosen a Glock of all guns, to carry. (hit the gun shops and get a real feel)

#16 ·
Have you had the hammer and trigger springs changed on your 38? Many new guns come with springs that are to stiff. They use the heavy springs due to legal reasons. A new spring kit is a lot less expensive than a new gun.

My gunsmith put a new spring kit in a $200 gun he got stuck with. The darned thing shoots as good as a lot of $500 guns. It's a Rock Island knock off of the Colt Detective. Rock Island bought the patent for the detective. Just a few springs and it shoots as Colt intended it to shoot.

#17 ·
Have you had the hammer and trigger springs changed on your 38? Many new guns come with springs that are to stiff. They use the heavy springs due to legal reasons. A new spring kit is a lot less expensive than a new gun.

My gunsmith put a new spring kit in a $200 gun he got stuck with. The darned thing shoots as good as a lot of $500 guns. It's a Rock Island knock off of the Colt Detective. Rock Island bought the patent for the detective. Just a few springs and it shoots as Colt intended it to shoot.
What would those legal reasons be?

#18 ·
Ruger's new polymer revolver, the LCR in 38 or .357. Under $500, reliable and very lightweight.

don't skimp on price too much, look for a quality used gun before downgrading to a lesser quality new gun is my .02

you get what you pay for (if you're lucky)

#22 ·
You'll want a small single action semi-auto in .32acp or .380 - Generally, the .380's will have more kick to them. You'd barely feel a .32

#23 ·
My wife carries a Ruger LCP .380 with a Crimson Trace in a cell phone look alike case that she got from Sportsmans Guide also a Taurus K frame 7 shot
.38 special in a concealed carry purse also from the Guide.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.