The Firearms Forum banner

Perfect Handgun

7K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  suryevor 
#1 ·
what comes closest in your humble opinion ?

#16 ·
Ruger Redhawk, 44 mag.

45 gov mod was the first hand gun I ever owned and if the question were limited to self defense I would go for it but the best ONE single handgun? I don't think so. Just M O.

First it's a pain in the arse to chase cases all over the range and most of these guns dent them unless you modify the ejection port. Then it throws them even farther. With the revolver ya just dump them all in your hand at once.

With the magnum revolver you have the option of shooting the full bore magnums for hunting, 44 specials for plinking or just light loads for plinking around. Heck even mix them all up in one cylinder and shoot up all the junk laying around at tin cans. All with no jam ups.

Best gun ever? I want to hunt with it, target shoot and pop a tin can when ever I feel like it. It's gonna have to meet these minimums just to get on my list for consideration as "best gun ever".

#21 ·
Originally posted by txdeerhunt
It's a trick question

No one caliber/model is perfect for all situations.

If you are referring to plinking or self defense I agree with the conscensus........The colt 1911.......but my ole' Ruger Security Six in .357 is aweful fun to shoot. I like the big boomer.
It really wasn't intended as a trick question...A Ruger Mark 2 pistol is an outstanding target sidearm but I wouldn't pick it first if I were going fishing in Grizzly country.. A pump 12 gauge is great for protecting the house but I won't carry one concealed...If I found myself in a gunfight I'd want a shotgun or rifle...

#22 ·
1911 a1

I had a beretta 96 could not get rid of it fast enough, the barrel floats around at the front of the gun, and its a bad float, reliable yes, rugged yes, shoots well sorta, the gun jumps weird, it also throws casings about 30 feet behind you out in the open, no joke. Lots of people really like them though and they are not horrible guns just not my pick. I had one and won't buy another beretta handgun.

the .45 acp has the most proven stopping power in defense situations. CorBon Pow'rBall ammo is some hot stuff, supersonic .45 and has mucho expansion. For hunting, I would use a Desert eagle or a revolver most likely a revolver though.

#24 ·
Welcome to TFF, Lenziggy, and thanks for posting! Make yourself at home; we have a fine bunch of folks here. :)

#26 ·
Xracer, a lady never tells! :p

I agree that there is no perfect handgun, and it depends on the situation.

My criteria is a little different than most of you guys in that I have very small hands. That makes it hard to find a big ol' 45, for example, that I can wrap my hand around comfortably. I'm actually in the market, even as we speak, for a new handgun to supplement my 38s snubby that fits so well in my purse. I'll let you know what I end up with!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.