The Firearms Forum banner

Perfect Sidearm for the outdoorsman?

7K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  troutwest66 
#1 ·
HI folks, My name is Hoss and I am from the southern end of Gods home state of Indiana. My question is:

I am an avid outdoorsman, Fishing, Deer Hunting, Bird Hunting. This year the laws in Ind. have changed and we can now not only apply for a lifetime Personal Protection Permit, we can also cary a Handgun for protection while we are hunting anything anytime anywhere.

After some thought, I have come up with these ideas.

If I have the need for defense, it will more than likley be against
Dopers,Wild Bores or Muggers.

.22 has no stopping power
I dont want too much weight on my hip
I like pistols but they are big and heavy

Now I am using a Mod. 60 Smith .357 5 shot.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.:D

G
#3 ·
Welcome to TFF, Hoss!

The revolver you currently carry--the Smith Mod 60--is an excellent choice considering the criteria you cited. It is hard to beat the .357 Mag as an all around man or critter stopper in a relatively small package. I would suggest carrying a couple of speed loaders with it as well. Hiking in the woods, I often carry a Smith Mod 29 six-inch in .44 Mag. That revolver is, of course, much heavier and bulkier than the Mod 60.

#4 ·
i own several pistols and revolvers but when i go to the woods my ruger GP-100 in six inch always goes on my hip,loaded with hydra-shoks and with two speedloaders that carry some rat shot,some 180 grain semi jacket soft points and some extra hydra-shoks.never feel underguned.

#6 ·
The .357 sounds like your best choice i'll agree. as to carrying while hunting. If you choose a 45ACP be sure your Game laws allow semi autos for hunting or you may find yourself in a catch 22. In Pa we can't hunt with semi rifles or pistols so any carry gun during hunting must meet the game laws.--JMJ-- (Ruger make some small bbl'd .357s as does Smith.)

#7 ·
You can't go wrong with the .357. I prefer autos, and would go with the .45 unless I was using it in the open country of the Rocky Mountain states, where a 10mm would be near perfect.

#9 ·
I always carry my early model 629 S&W 6" .44 Magnum, whenever I carry a long gun.

#13 ·
For a lightweight but powerful field sidearm, you might want to consider the Taurus Tracker Titanium in .41 Magnum. At 24oz it is not much heavier than your M60, and it is much more powerful. It is ported, which helps keep the muzzle down, but it is LOUD. It's a five shot, 4" bbl, approx. L-Frame size. Another possibility would be the titanium and alloy 44 Magnum on the large frame by the same company. It weighs in about 28oz in 6 shot slightly larger than N-Frame size. Smith also makes some ultra light 44 Magnums, but they are considerably more pricey.
Best regards, BIGBOOMER

#14 ·
I would suggest you read the fine print on these new laws and check for any restrictions on what you may carry in the field.

That would be the first place to look.

#16 ·
may i recommend the smith and wesson backpacker in .44mag, got kick, but also punch....i think its model 629 or something like that....sorry to post on such an old thread but i figure id give my .02

#17 ·
Has anyone had any experience with the Thunder Five?I,m thinking of getting one.TIA
Danny

#19 ·
I'm not a big Ruger fan but the Ruger Super Redhawk looks interesting, perticularly the .454 CASULL 7 1/2" model.

#25 ·
Stay with the mod. 60, you can't go wrong. I like longer barrels and carry a 6 inch most of the time. 357 is my #1 but I do carry a 44mag at times or my 625 45 ACP revolver at other times.
357 mag is one of the most all around handy calibers out there in my BOOK, but then I am from the south and that has to be considered :):eek:;)

#26 ·
My woods gun is my S&W 29-3 .44 mag. six inch. It doesn't matter if I'm camping, hunting, hiking or flyfishing I have my Smith on me. I carry two speed loaders and another 12 rounds in a belt pouch or the speed loaders on my shoulder holster when flyfishing. Here in Idaho we have critters with teeth and claws that Indiana probably doesn't have and the .44 mag might not be needed. I hunt with my Smith so for me .357 isn't enough. I feel pretty safe against dopers with the .44.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.