Personal/home defense ammo question!

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by confederedneck, Feb 23, 2009.

1. confederedneck

confederedneck New Member

I recently bought a .45 Glock 21 and have shot a box of Reminton UMC fmj's at the range but would like to know opinions on some good realiable defense ammo. Thanks for your input, Stu
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Winchester SXT ammo is all I carry. Or their silvertip hollowpoints are good too.

But, there's a lot of good stuff out there. Just make sure you run a couple boxes of it through the gun to make sure it will function properly.
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

TAP

Fed Hydra-shok

Rem Golden Sabre

Corbon DPX

Hornady XTP

Win SXT

All good to go. I carry XTP, Hydra-shok, Silvertips, depending on caliber.

You're G21 can effectively shoot every .45 ACP weight from 160 to 230 grain, so plenty options.
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

For the .45, I had carried 185 Gr. Hydrashoks but have recently purchased some 230 Gr. +P Gold Dot HPs that seem very promising. The Hornady TAP stuff is AWESOME in .40 but at $46.00 per 50 for the 230 Gr. +P GDHPs I couldn't resist for the .45 from http://georgia-arms.com.... I also bought some GDHP .40s in 155 Gr. +P for the small .40 I have.
  5. confederedneck

confederedneck New Member

Thanks for the input yall! I tell ya trying to find .45 ammo around here is about like trying to find hens teeth! Everyones buying it up as soon as it hits the shelves!!! I went with a box of the Hornady XTP's because they were available!
  6. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Delta hit the nail on the head! It's hard to wrong with any of his suggestions.