Personal Protection Ammo

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by DRB, Mar 27, 2012.

1. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

This is good advice. Whatever you plan to use as a carry ammo, buy extra boxes and take them to the range. The energy transferred to the target from a FTF is zero.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You don't need +p ammo. I wouldn't use much in a polymer gun anyway. I am not sure the high cost of the so call critical defense ammo is really worth it. I have never had to use it in a fire fight but I don't think the bad guy will be deader with +p critical defense or Winchester white box.
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

In Indiana you can use whatever ammo you want.There is now law governing uaage of ammo.Its simply not addressed.I would venture to say fmj,hollow point there both gonna get the job done.Although I do carry critical defense.
  4. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    IIRC, Hawaii and New Jersey prohibit non-LEOs from hollowpoint ammo, but it has been awhile since I checked on this.
  5. Woodrow

Woodrow New Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  6. okiefired

okiefired New Member

"Fragmenting" and "frangible" are two intirely different animals when speaking of bullets. Frangibles are made of desitigrateing material and thats what they turn into when they hit something remotely solid. Fragmenting's split into relitively large pieces of usually lead and copper. There may be some but I've never seen a frangible bullet that was constructed hollow point.

okie
  7. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

I am a wheel gun guy my self and have very little trouble with ammo. If it missfires I just pull the trigger again. That said I do carry a LCP backup loaded with Federal Premium Personal Defense low recoil. That said I have a friend that is a lawyer that recommends FMJ incase your assialiant or his family sue you. He also recommends a shotgun for home defense be the same one with the wooden stock that you hunt birds with. That way nobody can claim you were waiting for a chance to use your black gun to kill someone.
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I agree, I'm an old revolver guy...and have another gun within reach when I'm at home at all times. PLUS always have PEPPERSPRAY handy for people or animals.

Gun legal advice is important, and doesn't it vary somewhat state to state or even jurisdiction to jurisdiction?

Would be an interesting forum. ;)
  9. hotpursuit50

hotpursuit50 New Member

golden sabres in 9mm for the wife's g19, 40 s&w for my g23 and my s&w sd-40. perfect bang every time! 3-400 rounds each. trust it for the family no prob. but as the others said, make DAMN SURE that everything functions well. you don't want to find out otherwise when the chips are already falling!!
    Last edited: May 3, 2012