Personal weapons carried by U.S. Soldiers and marines

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by 17thfabn, Apr 20, 2010.

1. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

First Gulf War we could carry side arm as long as it was 9mm. Now you tell any Marine he can bring his own weapon and you won't believe what gets brought overseas. I took my Colt .357 4'' Lawman MKIII and handloaded rounds for my sniper rifle that were loaded with Green tip Nosler bullets.
  2. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

I served several tours in Vietnam in aviation units and I carried privately owned weapons that smuggled into country but did not bring them out of country when I DEROS'd. My last tour in 70-71 I carried a Ruger Blackhawk .30 cal in a cowboy holster and belt.
  3. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    It was said during WWII, that you could take any GI and shake him and all kinds of weapons would fall out. Lots of "Victory" revolvers, US Navy Property found their way into the hands of Marines. There's a war time film of a Marine popping a Jap as he runs from his bunker. Viet Nam, well you get away with carrying your own stuff if you wanted. It was kind of hard getting on the plane at Ton Son Nut with it, though.
    Today's Military, who knows. They are probably much stricter, but I bet some guys get something through. TJ
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  4. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Handloaded rounds for your sniper rifle, you say? Just how many rounds did you take, or were they hand loaded over there in Kuwait or Saudi? How did you get them through inspection? You must of had to take a lot of .357s of your own as well, being a non-issue round. Very Informative. TJ
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Teejay- We inspected ourselves-we did our own thing. Hell my platoon Sgt. had a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle he brought. I knew a kid from Miami that brought a full auto tec-9.We were STA platoon. Thats how we did it. Then again it was 1990/1991. We went over on the USS Raleigh (LPD-1) and only got inspected in Rota ,Spain when we desnailed coming home. I had 200 rounds of .357 and 100 Rounds of Nosler green tip. They were never used since we had plenty of 173 grn Lake City match.:D
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  6. Benajah

Benajah New Member

Among the rank and file, the rules aren't really well known. The gist of it when I was in Iraq was pretty by the book, was in the 82nd ABN which is pretty by the book and the order was that the Division CO wouldn't allow it. In Afghanistan, with the other units I was in (two different tours) the general understanding was that they were allowed (among the soldiers, never discussed officially) as long as ammo was FMJ. I only saw a couple of guys ever carrying non issue pistols, and they were always the type of guys who, while in a regular line unit, had jobs that meant nobody ever much said anything about what they carried.
    Keep in mind Iraq and Afghanistan are two pretty different animals, and the official army regulations are enforced to different degrees in different units. I was an airborne combat engineer, and we mostly existed as platoon sized units wherever we went, working with the infantry units we were attached to.
    I had a job in my last unit where I would be the only engineer in an infantry platoon, and I would have to go out several hundred meters by myself, alone, to deal with land mines, IEDs, and unexplored ordinance. Nobody cared what I carried, I could be wearing a Santa suit and carrying pearl handled peacemakers and nobody would say anything. Every other job I did, was pretty by the book.
    In the combat zones, much is left to the interpretaion of the highest ranking person around, and it usually isn't questioned too much.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011