Pet loads for .243 WIN.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by .270WIN., Sep 20, 2006.

1. .270WIN.

.270WIN. New Member

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I am new to the hobby of reloading. However, I have become bitten by the bug and would like to tweak my rifles now. I have a friend that reloads but lives about three hours from me. I was curious as to what (medicine) components you guys have found to be a successfull deer cartridge in this caliber. I am shooting a Savage Model 110. The shots will be from 100 to 300 yds. Thanks a million in advance and looking forward to visiting with you guys here on the forum.
  2. .270WIN.

.270WIN. New Member

Thanks popgunner for the input. I am thinking of going with a Nosler Partion in 100 grains. I definately want to use a bullet that won't fragment on me and think this would be a good choice. Someone else suggested the Trophy bonded bear claw. We have some big deer here on the lease.
  3. .270WIN.

.270WIN. New Member

Do any of you other folks have a particular "deer" load, that you are fond of in this caliber? I'm just trying to get various opinions and options here.
  4. stingrayzp

stingrayzp New Member

hi i use imr 4064 powder with 37.3 grs i use a cci primer and 85 gr bullet it has 3100fps/and the ftlbs is 1813 and i cut holes with this load the bukllets i use are sierra spitzer i have always had good luck with this load and bullet combo hope this helps mike
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

270WIN:

While it is fun to exchange reloading data, never use anyone else's load data unless you can find it in a reloading manual. Then use the manual recipe starting load and work up to and not beyond the listed maximum. Watch for signs of excessive pressure with every incremental change to the load or change in any component not listed as part of the manual's recipe.

Reloading is a safe and rewarding hobby IF you follow the manual's instructions. Do it wrong and your gun may suffer, or you may suffer or those at the range around you might suffer. Safety first.

LDBennett
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Just the plain old Hornady 100gr Interlock pushed by IMR4350 to 2800fps was my preferred deer load for many years out of the .243 or 6mmRem. Wasn't too many of the premium bullets back then besides the partition and ballistic tip Noslers and they were out of my budget.

The 100gr Nosler partition (or Barnes TSX if your rifle likes Barnes) would be a good bullet for whitetails.
  7. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    My Deer load of choice for my Remington 700 CDL is with the Barnes 85gr. TSX behind 44.0gr. of H414 using a Fed GM210M primer in a Winchester case. This is very near the max load data for this bullet but travels at 3300 fps with devastating terminal performance. Remember when checking load data from other bullet manufactures using their bullets of the same grain weight that you can add as high as 2.0gr of powder to that data when using the TSX bullet. This is due to the ring and groove configuraion of the TSX which has less drag traveling down the bore due to reduced surface metal contacting the bore which equals less pressure. This is from Barnes themselves and has been proven true to form in my loads for 3 different calibres using the TSX. Do note as well the TSX needs to have the bullets seated deeper tnan normal again as per Barnes for accuracy potential. The load I just gave you has a set back of .040 off of the lands and shoots just undr 1/2 in groups. 10 SPOT
  8. stingrayzp

stingrayzp New Member

the load i gave was straight out of sierras reloading book i do agree with bennett on the matter of safety always check manuals b4 u use someones load
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

stingrayzp:

And it is .270WIN's job, as a safe reloader, to find that load in a Sierra manual before using it. Verification of the load in a manual takes less time and money than a trip to the hospital or to the defense lawyer.

Many here offer good safe loads but some don't. How does a reloader tell them apart if he doesn't verify the loads himself? I'm sure you fall into the former catagory rather than the latter.

LDBennett
  10. guntech59

guntech59 New Member

LDBennett has the ticket right there. Pick a powder ( I use IMR 4064 for 243 myself) and a bullet. Work up the load yourself, for your rifle.

I don't mean to preach but, there are alot of idiots on internet forums. No, I'm not referring to anyone here.
  11. RodneyJ

RodneyJ New Member

Can't help you out with a load for the .243 but welcome aboard. as far as bullets I like Hornady interlock and barnes TSX and of those I like the price of hornady better.
  12. eka

eka New Member

My Ruger 77 .243 likes:

100 Gr. Sierra Game King
    34.0 Varget
    WLR primers
    OAL 2.695

Just what works in my rifle. Be careful using other folks loads without working up. My advise is to find your own best OAL and reduce any loads that are toward the top of the load chart by 10% and work back up. I hope this helps you.

Keith
  13. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

243 Win.
    Winchester Brass
    CCI Large Rifle Primer
    Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip Bullet
    35.5 gr. IMR 4895
    Lee factory crimp
    2950 FPS

Rifle: Savage 110
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  14. rim-shooting-01

rim-shooting-01 New Member

I US 42.5 GRANS OF H380 AND 70 GRAN NOSLER BALISTIC TIPS IN MY PRO HUNTER AND MY SONS H&R BOTH ARE 243:D
  15. rooster55

rooster55 New Member

Hey guys, I just traded for a real nice Ruger M77 .243 Compact 16 1/2 in bL with a 1 in 9 twist. I'm handloading my ammo and this gun loves 100 gr bullets. Does anybody else have this gun and have loaded any varmit bullets for it, if so how accurate can it get?

Thanks,
    rooster55