PET PEEVE - Asking prices

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williamd, Nov 24, 2007.

1. williamd

williamd New Member

Why do so many folks ask someone else to research their guns and give them values!? It is as easy using the Blue Book or searching the net on several websites. Spell LAZY!
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I dunno, a lot of people inherit them, or really don't know anything about them, but either way, I think it's kind of neat, we get to see a WHOLE BUNCH of guns we may not ever have reason to see, and a lot of experts that concentrate on niche guns that answer them that we also may not have ever met or have reason to, plus we get to talk to a bunch of nice gun people in the process?

I don't mind...
  3. claytonovic

claytonovic New Member

I'm wondering if this Pet peeve was directed at myself? It is great that you could tell me about the blue book and all the other sites on the internet.(which I have Checked out and came across this forum.) I have done some extensive research into the make of the rifle and the history of the producer. Instead of being so negative towards the short comings of others, maybe you should take the stance of people who find it interesting to come across and learn about new and old guns. With the help of our brothers do we learn. As I can see this, you would have none of this. If I could pinpoint the model, then I could find a value myself. But as it is something I have inherited from my Great Uncle,there really is no monetary value to compare with the stories told and to be told, by this rifle, in my family!! Happy Hunting
  4. No, spell it "Lack of knowledge and honestly looking for help," William. Many of us here truly enjoy helping novices and others learn about firearms. That is part of what TFF is all about. No one here is required to assist, but many of us are glad to do so.
  5. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

I for one am glad we have so many knowledgeable people. I have asked for information and value sometimes, not so much because I didn't know how to find the information but to affirm my opinion on a particular weapon. Sometimes its just to say "Hey look what I got, what do you guys think its worth. The people on this forum are always ready and willing to give their honest evaluation of a firearm. I don't pretend to be an expert on all kinds of guns and when you run across one your not sure of, it's nice to post here because I know there is someone here that will have the right information.

I for one am glad I found this forum and thank everyone for their input.
  6. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I haven't found a complete and concise blue book online and I don't own one, BUT I do have experience with certain types of firearms I collect, and sometimes NO knowledge about what I have in my collection....:p
  7. Jay

Jay Active Member

Not everyone that asks for values is necessarily computer literate. I'm reasonably able to find my way around a keyboard, but I've searched for posts that I've made on this forum and couldn't find 'em. (that's not a complaint, just an observation).

I have a shooting buddy that takes the Blue Book to every gun show. Only a couple of times have the gun show prices EVER been close to being as low as the Blue Book. I don't put all that much faith in the Blue Book.
  8. Quite true on both counts, Jay. Using proper search parameters to find info on the Internet (Google, etc.) is a skill that not all possess. And you're right on the Bluebook. It's intended only as a rough guide, but like any other item put up for sale, a firearm is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
  9. cec

cec New Member

I have to agree with the overall theme of this thread. It is not laziness that drives people to ask, it is looking to the experts.

When I want to know the value of something or have it fixed, I go to the people who know. This works in real life as well. When my dad needs help with a computer related issue, he asks me. When I have questions about household repairs, I go to him.

I have many manuals on how to repair things around the house, but they are no match for having done it. Many times he has said, "That will work, take you twice as long, but will work. Here is the easy way"

The books and websites are good guides, but do not take into account the real life events. I have firearms I have asked the price on that while are low, the stories behind them mean more. The books do not always give you the "It is only worth $100, but that was the first gun I ever owned, let me tell you about it".

Plus if people were really upset about us asking for prices, that part of the forum would disappear :)
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Maybe...just maybe...its to start a conversation on a slow day? You know...get some conversation going? Kinda the whole purpose of the forum in the first place. :D:D:D:D Then again i could just post a thread about bellybutton fungusses instead....? :D:D:D:D Or Ron could talk about his gas problems, which by the way..I ALWAYS GET A KICK OUT OF. :D;)

mike
    gn
  11. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

C'mon guys, William is coming down off that weekend binge @ the Turkey table. He'll be OK after another turkey sandwich & cup o' turkey noodle soup. Wontcha Will? :D
  12. glocknut

glocknut New Member

:D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  13. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I always liked how nice the people on TFF were and how helpfull they were. It was also very nice to find a site with manners. Kudos to TFF.
  14. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

I'm guilty as charged. Dad died, inherited a bunch of collectable-looking guns. I'm a shooter but not a collector.

Googled "firearm value" or something like that, and guess what, this forum came up! There's a forum titled "Ask the Pros and What's it Worth" or something like that. Seemed like a logical place to ask...

Sorry if some perceive my inquiry as lazy or exploiting the generosity of those with more knowledge.

Happy holidays, and safe shooting!

FranklyTodd
  15. claytonovic

claytonovic New Member

Sorry,FranklyTodd. We just had this one guy who was having a bad day. If you post pics and all the info you can, someone will help you out. I was the one who asked the same question as you and got the uneducated reply. I also was started down the right path to IDing my gun, by other members, and was able to find the make and price.If you google the type of guns and click on images,it will show you pics and the sites of auctions and sellers that list prices.Good luck