Phesant recipies...

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by flannelman, Oct 1, 2009.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Anyone have a good one?? My uncle gave me a couple he killed last winter and I need to know how to cook them. Help please!:confused:
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

flannelman:)

Here is one my Grandmother taughts us, and it works with any bird, but is recomended for an older one especially.;)

Debone the meat, (and de shot too!) cut into pieces how you like. Dredge in flour (I like to season the meat first, and the flour too)

Brown the meat in a heavy skillet, in real butter, about 3 min per side on med. heat.

Pour in enough milk to half submerge the pieces of meat. Cover and simmer on low heat for 45 min to an hour.

Prepare fresh biscuts while the pheasant is simmering.

The milk will have becaome a wonderfull gravy or sauce thickend by the flour on the meat. Serve both over split biscuts.

This is a wonderful breakfast before hunting pheasants by the way;):D

Best regards, Kirk
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Thanks that sounds great!
  4. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

First of all, defrost the birds well in the refrigerator for a day or so. Do not attempt to start cooking while frozen. Mix sweet paprika, salt and ground black pepper into the flour that you use for flouring the meat pieces before pan searing in butter. And then for a less healthy (in terms of fat content) yet richer tasting variation of 300 H&H's excellent recipe, use a cup of room temperature sour cream and a cup of light cream instead of the milk. If necessary during the cooking process, moisten the mixture back up with a bit of milk if it gets too dry for you. Bake uncovered in a preheated 275 degree oven for 3 hours. Some folks also add just a pinch or two of ground allspice to their flour mixture before applying it to the meat. Your call on that one. If the pheasants were old or if they have been frozen for some time, the low temperature and fairly slow oven braising technique offers the best opportunity for tender juicy meat and does not seem to muck about with the sour cream and light cream consistency. I have found that 300 H&H's technique for top of the stove braising in whole milk also works well for tenderizing the meat and producing nice gravy if you have a nice heavy lid that keeps the steam in. Personally, I use a cast iron frying pan with a matching cast iron lid and that seems to work well for this and similar game cooking applications.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  5. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Ill have to try that next time I get some. I ended up going with the old crockpot and a chicken broth/veggie bath for the birds to cook in. When they get tender I'll remove them and set them aside while a make a sauce or gravy out of the broth. I'm thinking of serving the birds and sauce over rice and have some nice vegi on the side.
  6. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

flanelman,

Tis the season...Phesant that is in 3 weeks. Here is another good one that I like alot.

Debone as before, keeping the pieces as large as possible. (important) Place the pieces one at a time on a strong cutting board between waxed paper. Pound them down to about 1/4" being carefull not to turn them to "mush".

One block of softened cream cheese mixed with minced halopeno pepper, garlic, and red onion. Or what ever variation you might choose. Place a teaspoon or so of this mix on each piece of prepared meat and roll up into a roll. Wrap each in a slice of bacon and secure with a tooth pick or two. At this point I like to pre heat/cook them a touch in the micro wave, and use a hot grill to cook over, but with a med fire in your grill cook until the bacon is done on all sides. Some of the filling will leak out, unfortunately.

This one is really good, I hope you get the chance to enjoy it, and it is worth the effort.;):D

regards, Kirk
  7. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Oldeyes,

I use My Grandmothers deep cast iron frying pan with a matching lid with dripp rails inside. It works well for so many things and is big enough for a family sized meal. What a treasure I was fortunate enough to have recieved. Some in the family think it is at least 100 years old. I can tell you it still works like new!

Regards,
    Kirk
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Well here is what I did with the phesant...

Two whole phesants in the crockpot.
    1/2 onion
    1/2 anehiem peper
    1 large clove garlic
    2 bay leaves
    1 rib celery
    6-10 mini carrots or 1 regular size
    2 cups chicken broth
    black pepper to taste

Cook in crockpot till the birds are very tender. Remove birds and allow to cool a bit. Strain the broth from the pot. Make a rue with olive oil or butter and flour. You want a light brown rue for this dish. Add the strained broth to the rue and stir vigorously to prevent lumps. While the gravy is coming to a boil shread the birds. Serve the shredded birds over rice and cover with gravy.

[​IMG]
  9. williamd

williamd New Member

Are you wanting 'Pheasant' or 'Peasant' recipes??? Sorry, could not resist. :rolleyes: