Philosophy final

Discussion in 'The Pump House Saloon' started by lead, Jul 23, 2004.

1. lead

lead Active Member

The professor at a prestigious university was handing out blue books for his philosophy students to write their essays for his final exam. "You will only have one question to answer for this exam," he said, "I hope you will use all that you have learned in this class in your answer."
    He stepped to the board and wrote one word, "Why?". After a few nervous glances around the room, all the students started writing complicated answers, expounding on all the theories and philosophies they had been studying. All but one student. He sat bored for awhile, then wrote something down quickly and turned his book in.
    The next day grades were posted on the professor's door and all were amazed to see this student had gotten the only A in the class. When they found him they all asked, "What did you write as your answer to the final exam?" He said, "Why not?"
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Sounds logical!

Attached Files:

3. pickenup

pickenup New Member

There was a time, when that kind of an answer, would have been considered a smart-a$$ answer. Guess it depends on the teacher. ;) :D
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I had a final exam in Law School on Contract Law, with a lot of negotiable instruments law included.

The fact situation about which we were to write covered every single facet of contract law and much of the law on negotiable instruments, both pre and post Commercial Code. This was at the time when you had to know both the old and the new law. The margins on the professor's question pages were about ΒΌ" and it was single spaced 8 point type. The fact situation/exam question covered both sides of 2 11x17 pages.

One student read through the question and wrote one sentence in the blue book and left. The rest of us wrote for five hours and the professor had to pry the several blue books we each had filled out of our hands.

The only "A" was the kid who wrote one sentence and left. However, most of us did get a B or A-. The clinker was, and the professor admitted afterwards that he just pulled dates out of a hat and never checked them. The question covered a period of over twenty years and happenings affected by the contract during that time.

The smart student just happened to know a particular date since it was his father's wedding anniversary and the day of the week that it occurred. His exam answer was - - -

"The contract was executed on a Sunday and is therefore void."

This correct statement of law, still in effect in Alabama, was absolutely correct, hence, the "A".

The professor later became my law partner and never forgot that one. I remember his checking the calendar whenever he tested again, or on the Bar exam, since he was also a bar commissioner, to make sure he didn't get caught be that one. I told him that he aught to slip it into a Bar question just once to see IF anyone would pick up on it. He never did, though.
  5. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

The correct answer is actually . . . because. Any 7 year old can get it, but an adult has a hard time.
    Why not is a question. Because is the answer
  6. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

You don't write like a student that came out of the public school system.

Where'd ya get yer edumacation?

ISB
  7. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

ISB - not sure if that is an insult or compliment, but i will admit my english sucks. Cant spell either.
    I was however educated in a public system in California. No degrees, but I have attended classes that interest me at several colleges, both public and private.

But I did have a teacher pop that test on us. She said it should take 7 pages to answer. Three people in the class got it. About 40 others wrote for a LONG time.

For those who don't know me - I am a wellful of useless information, and your best friend in a game of trivial persuit

--Beagle