Phoenix Arms - HP22A

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Dutchboy, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Dutchboy

Dutchboy New Member

Grudgingly, I have to give some public praise to this inexpensive pistol, the Phoenix Arms - HP22A.

Yesterday, I took mine to the range for the first time in a while, and shot a 150 leftover rounds of Thunderbolts, Wildcats, Federals, and Golden Bullets. I was doing a little housecleaning, and having a little fun.

That cheap gun just works. No misfires, no problems. I only had one round fail to extract, and that was because the case split in the chamber (Remington!). I had to push it out with a dowel. That's not the gun's fault. The gun just kept working, and it's always been that way.

My Walther P-22 won't eat that variety of ammo and keep running.

And, it's pretty accurate. Out to 25 yards, it is just about as good as that P-22.

I probably have 1,000 rounds through that gun. There's signs of wear here and there, but not too bad.

At about $130, it's a good value.

I also play around with a Jimenez JA-22 once in a while, and that Jimenez is not made nearly as well as the Phoenix gun, IMHO. Also, I've found that the Jimenez is useful out to 10 yards, but no more. The PH22A is useful out to 25 yards.

The Phoenix HP22A does have some issues. The biggest issues for me are the double safeties and the magazine interlocks. That whole Rube Goldberg system must have been designed by a lawyer who never fired a gun.

I would never consider carrying the PH22A, but for a plinking gun, it provides a lot of value for the money.

It hurts a little to admit it, but that gun has earned some respect, at least from me.
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    my little brother has one and i laughed at it when he bought it.the gun has two different barrels and shoots very good for the price.shocked me.that was a few years ago and he has had no problems with it. old semperfi
  3. group17

group17 New Member

It's like the hi-point of 22's. Most people say it can't be any good for such a low price. Even comes with a life time warranty like the hi-point.

I got to shoot my brothers at the range and couldn't believe how much fun they are to shoot. His never gave him one problem shooting any bulk 22 ammo and has been very reliable. From what I read that can't be said for most
    more expensive 22's.

I liked it so much I bought a used range kit which has also given me no problems at all. I can even carry it in my pocket with the short barrel.
    IMO I would rather be able to put more money into my main guns than have to spend a lot on a 22 range and woods plinker.
    It only cost me $140 and I couldn't be happier.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i bought one of these things too and i didn't expect much but was and still am surprised by how well it works i don't like the goofy magazine safety but rumor has it it's easily disabled.
  5. group17

group17 New Member

Like in 5 mins. The gun is much nicer with out it.
  6. killbuck

killbuck New Member

Yeah, I have two of them. One blued short barrel and one nickel finish with both barrel lengths. Both are fun to shoot and have never had a problem with either one.

Someone on here had a thread that told how to fix that mag safety so I did that to the blued one this last summer. Works great! I keep that one in my truck. I'll be doing the same to other pistol this winter sometime. Twas good information and very easy to do.
  7. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

There may have been another one you were thinking of, but here is mine. http://thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=73114&highlight=hp22a+range+report
  8. rfwolfe

rfwolfe New Member

I bought one of these brand new in the box two days ago. I was terribly disappointed as soon as I started shooting it. It failed to extract the first round. I put 300 or so rounds through it and the most continuous number of successful rounds cycled through it was 5. I took it back to the gun store this morning and they're shipping it to phoenix arms for repair. I like the design of the gun and love the safeties for just throwing it in your pocket. I hope when I get it back I can be as happy with mine as most of you are with yours.
  9. Dutchboy

Dutchboy New Member

Thanks, rfwolfe. Perfect timing for a resurrection of this old post.

After a total of about 1,500 rounds, the frame cracked on my HP22A. It cracked by the safety, where the metal is very thin. If you search the internet for "phoenix arms" "cracked frames", you will find that this problem is not uncommon.

But, Phoenix Arms has a lifetime warranty; so what's the big deal? Right?

Well, this has been my experience with Phoenix Arms' "lifetime warranty": I wrote them a letter, describing the problem and asking about the warranty. I included a copy of my original receipt, and I reminded them that I had sent in my warranty card when I first purchased the gun. That was seven weeks ago, and still no reply. I've called them on the phone at least a dozen times over the past two weeks. All I've heard is an answering machine that won't let me leave a message. No human being ever picks up the phone.

So far, there's been no sign of life over at Phoenix Arms, and their lifetime warranty has been worthless to me.

I'll write a new post if anything changes.
  10. Dutchboy

Dutchboy New Member

I've called Phoenix Arms every day this week. No one is home. All I get is an answering machine telling me that "my call is very important to them." The answering machine won't even let me leave a message. Very frustrating.

Today, I tried an e-mail to the sales address on their website. We'll see what happens with that.

Maybe Phoenix Arms has simply gone out of business. Who knows?
  11. revmonday

revmonday New Member

i have one and the fireing pin came out of the back of the gun at me. it has been used alot. so i emailed Phoenix Arms over 6 months ago and have not gotten anything back from them.
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

NEVER a good sign:mad: