The Firearms Forum banner

Picked Up A Taurus PT840

17K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Taurus_9mm 
#1 ·
I went to one of the two gunshops near me this morning with the intention of purchasing a Mossberg or Remington HD shotgun. However, while glancing through the glass case, a PT840 caught my eye. I've never owned or even shot a .40 S&W but have been mulling over the idea of procuring one at some point in time. This was due to the fact that all my autoloaders are either 9mm or .45 ACP and I'd 1.) like something in a different chambering and 2.) because of availability of .40 S&W ammo.

I'd thought in the past if I picked up a .40 it would be a PT100/101 or a Springfield XD. However the PT840, after close inspection, turned out to be more than satisfactory. The ergos, given the contours of the grip, fit my hands very well. I picked up a couple hundred rounds of Speer Lawmen for just over $20 a box so hopefully soon I'll be able to have a little range time with it.

Here are some pics of it alone, and with my PT92 9mm in comparison.

:D:D:D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice looking gun. I have several 40 cal. Wen I got the first one I got it just to have one. A few weeks ago I was looking for a 1911 and seen the SA XDM40 in the case. It just felt right so I bought it. Correct ammo. is always available for it and so far it has ate everything I fed it. I have been buying Blazer Brass from wally world for 12.97 a box of 50. 3 days later I did get a 1911 so no loss in buying the XDM. Hope you like your new gun. JUNK

#6 ·
Today I finally had the opportunity to run 100 rounds through the PT840 so I'll be able to give you guys an informal range report. Firstly, the ammo I used was Speer Lawman 165 gr. load which I purchased at the same time I picked up the Taurus.

Secondly as is the case with some new magazines, I was unable to fill either of the two that came with the pistol to their full capacity. They're 15 round magazines and I could get 13 in with no problem and 14 with a bit of effort. With usage I expect the springs to give a little and I'll be able to fit in the 15th round.

This pistol points very naturally for me and has great ergonomics. The finger grooves in the grip are also spaced just right for me and so this is probably the best feeling pistol I've felt in the hand, period.

Informal plinking took place at roughly 30 feet with a spinner target and some heavy chunks of wood. The pistol was extremely accurate and I had no problems acquiring the targets and placing the rounds in the vicinity of where I wanted them to go. Additionally I also experienced no failures to feed, fire or eject. This pistol is definitely a winner and I'm leaning towards picking up a PT845 at some point as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.