picked up a walther p38 from 1962 in excellent condition today

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by The Count, Jul 7, 2010.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

hi all, not really a C&R gun but almost old enough to be....

a real live walther P38 in excellent condition with matching numbers, 2 mags and the holster is in like new condition, all for only $350.00

how good a deal did i make here? and no issues shooting this with modern 9mm luger ammo?
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I would guess that it's not a P-38, but rather a P1 alloy frame??
    It should be just fine with current ammo.
    Don't know about +P or +P+ though.

If it was made in 1962 it isn't quite a C&R yet. Another couple of years.......
  3. The Count

The Count New Member

here is a picture. i looked at several P38 sites and could not find one just like it....?

on the other side is stamped 4/62

[​IMG]
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In postwar production, Walther marked their (West) German army contract pistols "P1" per army nomenclature. The civilian production was marked P38. Wartime pistols were marked P.38, with the period. A good pistol, and the price seems reasonable. I would avoid super hot ammo, though.

Jim
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Jim,
    Did the civilian post war P38's aluminum frames??

Years ago I has a Manurin post-war "P38" that still had waffenamts on the slide. I assumed these were left over captured parts that the French were just using up.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Walther did make 2000 steel frames post-war, but they were not used for the P1. 500 were used in the Walther 100th Anniversary model, which was engraved; the rest went into civilian P38 production, offered as an option, and into special pistols for collectors, such as gold or silver plated. So a steel frame post-war P38 would be a rare gun, but not unknown.

The alloy frames developed wear and battering on the angled surface of the frame where the locking block is cammed up to close as the slide goes into battery. That is the area where the steel insert is installed.

I have never seen a Manurhin marked pistol with Nazi marks, but the Mauser factory was in the French zone, and they continued limited P.38 production/assembly after the war for the Foreign Legion. (The "French" Foreign Legion was 99% ex-Wehrmacht anyway, so giving them P.38's and K.98k's made sense.) These are the "svw" pistols with the French star on the slide.

Jim
  7. The Count

The Count New Member

@Jim K
    i saw an offer for the following. price would be close to $500. would it be worth it?

"hese are WWII, all steel, Nazi marked P38 pistols that were captured by the Russians. At some point over the years, they have been refinished and mismatched and rematched by a Russian arsenal. Mechanically they are excellent, metal finish is excellent, Nazi codes and proofs are all there. The markings are crisp and clear, it’s just that one of the numbers on the barrel, frame or side has been renumbered to match the other two."

the count
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Depends on what you want. Like any mismatched gun, the collector value is about nil. But if you just want a P.38 to shoot and play with, $500 might be OK, though IMHO a bit high. If you are lucky and all the parts are Walther, there should be no problem with fitting.

Jim
  9. The Count

The Count New Member

thanks for your input. think i will pass on this gun as i would have to buy it sight unseen.
  10. zb338

zb338 New Member

I always disliked P38 because of their crummy triggers. There is a
    guy at our gun club that shoots one in IDPA combat shooting events.
    Someone must have done his trigger because it is half decent and
    he shoots very well with it.

Zeke
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

P.38's and variations generally have SA trigger pulls best described as mushy. I know they can be improved, but I have never tried doing it.

I know they can be better because I fired one a fellow had that was as far as I could tell an average bringback, though an early gun (ac40). That gun not only had a very nice trigger, but shot into one ragged hole at 21 feet. I have no idea what might have been done to it (the current owner had done nothing) but it was as nice a P.38 as I have ever fired and one of the most accurate handguns I have fired. I know my ac40 doesn't shoot that well and the trigger is average, so I suspect the original owner had it worked over by someone who knew what he was doing.

Jim
  12. The Count

The Count New Member

took the pistol to the range yesterday. i was impressed. handled great and very good accuracy at 25 yards.no misfeeds or anything with federal FMJ ammo from wally world.