Picking a holster for cpl

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by LyleLovett666, Jun 13, 2012.

1. LyleLovett666

LyleLovett666 Former Guest

What is a good method for deciding on a concealed carry holster?
  2. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Think it is going to depend on the type of firearm, your personal preference due to your body type etc. I asked a similar question a couple of months ago and got some real good input but bottom line was different holsters fit different needs. I have a "yaqui" style for my 1911 (outside the belt) and use a iwb for my snubbie. With the iwb I had to move it around until I found a position I was comfortable with....
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Lyle, sometimes you might have to buy 5-6 holsters until you find the right one. If you are new to carrying, you will feel as if everyone can see your gun at first and you will swear they are looking at it, but they arent. Get a good thick belt and dont skimp on the belt or your gun will flop around for sure. Also, nylon holsters will flop around ALOT more than leather. It will all depend on how you dress. If you wear your shirt out, you can get a leather belt holster and conceal real easy. If you tuck it in, you will need a inside the pants holster like the crossbreed or similar. No matter what you do, stick with it and dont take it off. Continue to carry until it becomes second nature to you. I put my gun on in the morning before I put on my socks and shoes and I have for more than 25 years. Its just like another piece of clothing and I dont even really know its there.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Lyle, most of us have at least a box full of holsters that we don't use, simply because they didn't work out well. If you buy one holster, and it the perfect holster for your needs, then you are indeed a fortunate man! Like I said, most of us have boxes full of holsters. DD is right in that the wide sturdy belt is where concealed holsters, or open carry holster, begins. Without a good foundation, no matter how good the holster, it just won't work! IWB is about as completly concealed as most permit holders want to go, but can become uncomfortable after a few hours. There are a lot of different holsters out there and some are made better than others. I can't stand any of the IWB holsters I have tried so far, but I haven't tried them all. I carry OWB, a Yaqui style holster, belt slide. But that might not be what's right for you. I also use the Smart Carry System holster a lot because I am usually dressed in Basketball shorts, T shirt, and sandles of some type. http://www.smartcarry.com/
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  5. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Body build also plays a part. I'm just over 5'8", 145-150lbs. The only place I have been able to carry w/some sense of feeling good about it, is on my right kidney, with a loose shirt.

As the rest, I have a 'box' of holsters. I think the main reason I have so many is because I really didn't allocate enough time to any of them, to see if I really liked them or not.

I'd really like to try out one of the T-Shirt w/holster types. They're a tad expensive to put on and wind up not using it. But I look at them about once a month anyway. :)
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

There are a lot of good holster designs. There are a lot of bad holster designs.

The worst design is the so called "ankle holster" and similar "Trick or Gimmick" designs. They will get you hurt or killed in an emergency, because you likely will not be able to get to your gun in a timely manner. All "cross draw" type holsters are to be avoided, also; but for the reason that an attacker has a better chance to "tie you up" when you try to draw. That being said, I often do carry in a cross draw shoulder holster; but I always keep its drawing deficiency in mind.

The best place to carry is "strong side". There are numerous good or at least "OK" strong side holsters and strong side places on your body to carry. If you carry a 1911 A1 geometry pistol (full size or "Commander") you really do not need a holster. Just stick it in your belted waistband, behind your pelvis, grip forward. I carried a LW Commander said way for almost 30 years, before changing to a G27. The only real downside to such holster-less carry is that your sweat is hard on the blued finish over time; but a pistol is a tool of self defense to me, not something to preserve as a collector item.

Hope that this may be useful to someone.
  7. Double D

BINGO. You didnt give them time. You must follow thru and give a holster time. Just about any holster is going to feel out of place and odd at first and will take time to adjust to it. Continue to wear it every day and dont take it off! If you cant get used to it after a reasonable amount of time, then change to another one and do the same with it until you find the best one. You may have 3-4 different ones for the different types of dress you wear. If you dont stick with it, you will never get used to it. Dont give up. I wear my shirt tails out and my favorite holster is a simple don hume leather belt holster. Nothing fancy at all. I have a local leather guy make my belts out of good, real thick leather and when I tighten my belt, I can holster a full size 1911 without it flopping around one bit. The belt makes all the difference in the world, I cant stress that enough.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  8. LyleLovett666

LyleLovett666 Former Guest

So I bought my self a cheapo Backhawk today and I gotta say that it actually feels very comfortable.I been wearing it around the house and it most definitely does not feel awkward or out of place and conceals nicely.
  9. jce07a

jce07a New Member

ive recently become a huge fan of raven concealment holsters.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

You stated "cheapo" holster. If it's nylon, does it have a retention strap? If not it might fall out of the holster if should go to the ground. I like leather, it is molded for the gun you want to carry, and like yetiman I also use a Yaqui style belt slide holster. I have fallen down many times while wearing it, and I have never had my .45 fall out of it.
  11. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Of my Box of holster, I have an Israeli shoulder holster that comes apart and can be worn in seven positions. I like it best...I think. Finally getting soft enough to enjoy.

I have one nylon. Don't feel right, Different strokes, though.
  12. jce07a

jce07a New Member

Raven concealment molds their holsters to the gun, they base the retention on the trigger guard. they make em with kydex. they also have a lifetime warranty on em.
  13. Double D

Dang Carver, you need to slack off the martinis a little if you are falling down so much. Maybe switch to something a little lighter. ;)
  14. carver

carver Moderator

I wish I could blame the falling down on something besides my tired, wore out, broke down old body! The truth is that with two bad legs, falling down has just become a matter of fact. I have learned to fall really well!:eek::D Drop, and roll!

By the way, I have a son that has relocated to Key Largo, so I might be headed down that way in the near future. Will drop you a line to get your location, I might just stop by for a visit if you have the time. Back to the OP's thread!
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  15. carver

carver Moderator

Kydex works well, I'm just old fashioned, and don't care for the Kydex holster all that much, not because they don't work, but because they are hard, and make too much noise, not like leather at all.
  16. Double D

Your welcome to stop by. Your going right by on I-10.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  17. langenc

langenc Member

Besides most shooters having a box of holsters, most gun shops do also.

Check em out. Most can be had for 5-10 bucks. If you dont like it take it back and swap for another 5 or so.

If you find a good one go to ebay and look for it. There are thousands on ebay-lefties have an especially good prices. Be patient. What you want will come along./
  18. Cajun Chooter

Cajun Chooter New Member

this is a little off topic on which holster to buy... but since reading the replys to his post...
    why don't the folks that have a "box" of holsters they don't use.. why not list them for sale ? it might help others and bring a little cash for other goodies...?
  19. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I just ordered that Galco concealable belt holster from MIdway (on the Galco page in Midway catalog), hope it works. I think it was $83, but I have other Galco holsters and have always been satisfied with them. I've gotten into the habit of when I order a holster from Midway, I usually order a belt too; bunch in their catalog. The Galco & HUme & DeSantis belts are 40-50-60 bucks, but they are heavy duty, never wear out. Gun belts are 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches wide; heck I wear them everyday in jeans gun or not.

It pains me spending money at Midway, I buy at my local gun shop as much as possible; that catalog with all the pictures, I can't resist.
  20. Double D

Those of us that carry on the outside of our belts dont have much problem with finding a holster. A good galco belt holster is all you need. I have used a don hume slide for a long time but if your barrel is protruding past your holster and you have leather furniture, you might want to get a holster that covers the barrel. I am using a galco now and I like it alot.