The Firearms Forum banner

Pickled?

8K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  Old Grump 
#1 ·
So, does anyone pickle things other than the usual cucumbers? I was looking for recipes for pickled eggs and beets today, found a whole bunch of great and unusual things. Somebody pickled ring bologna, which they recommend 90 days in the jar before eating...That's a bit strange. Some relatives that own a restaurant are having a pickle contest, which got me thinking about things that can be pickled.

My favorites, in no particular order:

*Pickled green beans, lots of garlic

*Pickled carrots

*Pickled eggs, with or without beets

*Pickled beets

*Mustard pickles

*Dill pickles!

#28 ·
It was a joke, but, I'll change the drift.:D:eek:;)

I had cheesecake last night. Yumm! :cool:
It's too early in the morning for that kind of joke :eek:

Cheesecake. Can't pickle that. Or can you? LOL! I had cheesecake last Christmas, I sort of forgot it existed until just now. :D

#29 ·
It's too early in the morning for that kind of joke :eek:

Cheesecake. Can't pickle that. Or can you? LOL! I had cheesecake last Christmas, I sort of forgot it existed until just now. :D
I don't know much bout' pick-el-ing,
don't know much about Biology,
didn't like de taste of pickled pigs feet,
eggs and pickles can't be beat,
but I do know cause I like you,
I'll be good for you and Lori too,
But Diana can just kiss my feet! :D

#31 · (Edited)
Blechhh. I knew I should fear what might show up on this thread....LOL!
Aw guys... ya make me feel bad.... :( ...... not really... :rolleyes:... just kidden.. :D

I've told this story before, but since you 2 guys are fairly new to the forum,

I'll tell it again.... :rolleyes:

Many years ago, in a land far far away (Vietnam).

We were pulling bridge guard on the Perfume River, that bridge led to the old city of Hue.

Some ARVN soldiers invited us to eat with them.

Being sick to death of C-Rations, myself and a buddy agreed.

Their guard position was down on the river.

They fixed us each a bowl of rice with veggies and meat on it.

I was eating and enjoying the hell out if it

when my buddy held up a piece of meat and asked "oink oink" ?

The Vietnamese soldiers broke out in uncontrollable laughter and replied...

"No oink oink GI.... Bow Wow"... :eek:... my buddy put down his bow and quickly left.

I calmly finished my bowl and ask for another.

Take my word for it. DOG is the other, other white meat.....

Next time yer at an Oriental joint eating yer chicken what ever.

Pick up a piece of the meat and ask yerself..... :confused:

just where on the chicken could this piece have come from ??? :D

#33 ·
It is sometimes true.

My Dad was brought up in Tampa. His Dad died when he was very young. Had to quit school and work to support the family. Many times supper was whatever he culd shoot or find.

I have eaten snake, rabbit, squirrel, turtle (many kinds), fish (many kinds), and other things I won't mention. Meat is meat.

#34 ·
I pickle fruit in Home made corn whiskey. Cherries, orange slices, apple slices, Grapefruit, pears, peaches, mullberries, alderberries, black berries, Etc.
Will you send me some??? I'll pay for it!!!!! :D :D :D :D

#35 ·
just where on the chicken could this piece have come from ??? :D
If you folks will pay attention you will notice there aren't many or any stray animals around an oriental restaurant. :D

I have pickled some natural casing wieners with jalapenos. Yummy stuff. I like pickled Okra, Asparagus, eggs, sausages, wieners, home made bread & butters, and bread & butter pickles and jalapenos together.

Reminds me of a missionary story from my youth. A new missionary was being introduced to tribal leaders and they had prepared a feast to welcome him. He had been warned to not ask what dinner was, but to just eat it.

The chief was very proud the feast was in his home and prepared a delicacy. He told the new missionary to "Dig deep, puppy on bottom"

G
#36 ·
I've never eaten a pickled egg, but after reading this thread I thought what the heck. I've always collect my dill pickle juice and had 5 jars in the fridge.
Next day shopping, I picked up a gallon wide mouth jar. I boiled some eggs and added them to the jar with celery, carrots, sweet onions, and jalapeno peppers.

A couple days later my son asks, "are those eggs in the jar"?:eek:
I said yes, and he's:rolleyes:

Well I couldn't wait any longer, so last night I dug one out. It's only been about 10 days, but I must admit that pickled eggs are pretty darn good. I'd bet they make a mean egg salad.:D

#37 ·
I've never eaten a pickled egg, but after reading this thread I thought what the heck. I've always collect my dill pickle juice and had 5 jars in the fridge.
Next day shopping, I picked up a gallon wide mouth jar. I boiled some eggs and added them to the jar with celery, carrots, sweet onions, and jalapeno peppers.

A couple days later my son asks, "are those eggs in the jar"?:eek:
I said yes, and he's:rolleyes:

Well I couldn't wait any longer, so last night I dug one out. It's only been about 10 days, but I must admit that pickled eggs are pretty darn good. I'd bet they make a mean egg salad.:D
You know, that would give you something to do with the pickle juice!

#41 ·
#42 ·
I am surprised that no one else has mentioned pickled garlic. It is a great stand alone snack that is really tasty and chocked quite full of beneficial antioxidants. Prepare your pickling sauce as if you were going to do mildly hot sweet pickles, then pack the garlic cloves up in the jar, pour the sauce over 'em up and go for it. Great stuff.

#47 ·
RED HOT PICKLED POLISH SAUSAGE

Ingredients
• 2 lbs pre-cooked kielbasa
(or hot links if you are feeling sassy)
• 1 small onion, sliced
• 1 cup water
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• 3 cups white vinegar
• 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 10 drops red food coloring
• 1 tablespoon pickling spices
Directions
1. Cut up precooked sausage (do not reheat them) into 3 inch links and put into jars with a few slices of onion.
2. Bring the rest of the ingredients to a boil and simmer five minutes.
3. Pour hot mixture into jars (preferably Mason or canning jars, other types may explode) over onions and sausages.
4. Put lid on jars and carefully hide in the refrigerator at least a day - two days is better.
:cool:

#49 ·
I like mixed veggies pickled.

cauliflower
carrots
garlic
pearl onions
hot peppers

All stuffed into a jar and covered with a brine. Let set for a few weeks and enjoy.

#51 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.