The Firearms Forum banner

Pickled?

8K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  Old Grump 
#1 ·
So, does anyone pickle things other than the usual cucumbers? I was looking for recipes for pickled eggs and beets today, found a whole bunch of great and unusual things. Somebody pickled ring bologna, which they recommend 90 days in the jar before eating...That's a bit strange. Some relatives that own a restaurant are having a pickle contest, which got me thinking about things that can be pickled.

My favorites, in no particular order:

*Pickled green beans, lots of garlic

*Pickled carrots

*Pickled eggs, with or without beets

*Pickled beets

*Mustard pickles

*Dill pickles!

#52 ·
I prefer this to plain cooked octopus, it isn't tough or chewy at all.

Greek style pickled Octopus

Prep Time: 1 hours, 45 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1 dozen precooked baby octopi
* 6 bay leaves
* 1 dried or fresh hot chile pepper
* 1 dozen cracked black peppercorns
* 1 T. dried oregano
* 1 T. coriander seed
* 2 cups red wine vinegar
* Olive oil to top off the jar
* -------------
* 1 clean, quart-sized canning jar with lid

Preparation:

This is an easy dish to make, once you have cooked the octopus. Instructions for that are linked below. Once you have the cooked octopi -- and they need not be baby ones, although I like the baby ones best because they are more tender -- all you do is set them in a quart-sized canning jar to rest while you make the pickling brine.

In a dry saute pan, toast the coriander and the dried chile (do not do this with the fresh chile if you're going that route) and the black pepper over medium-high heat until everything is fragrant.

Shift all the spices, including the oregano, the bay leaves and the fresh chile if using, into a pot large enough to contain the vinegar. Pour the vinegar over the spices and bring to a boil.

Once the vinegar is at a boil, turn off the heat and cover. Let it steep until it's room temperature, about an hour or so. Then pour it over the octopi in the jar. Make sure it covers them all; use fresh red wine vinegar if you need more.

Top everything off with olive oil -- do not let any part of the octopus stick through the top of the oil, or it will rot.

Store in the fridge for up to 3 months.

Wait at least a week before you eat them. The week is a long time for me, I never had any stay around for 2 weeks let alone 3 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.