Pics and help needed! Shotguns

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by H-D, May 16, 2012.

1. H-D

H-D Active Member

I have a used 870 express on lay-a-way at a local shop , it has a 28 or 30 inch barrel on it, does anyone know which brands of add-on mag tube extensions work the best and look the best? I would like to get a total of 8-10 round capacity. any input or pics would be great!
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    If you have the long barrel it's 28" and you can put an extension on that will get you up to 5 more rounds. http://damageusa.com/product/remington-870-5-magazine-extension-12-gauge-parkerized

If you want to use it for an inhouse self defense gun you can buy an 18" barrel for it and their 2 round extension that you should be able to get from the factory . It only takes a minute to switch barrels and put a wood dowel in to make you legal for hunting.

For around 250 to 300 dollars you can put a 18 1/2" slug barrel with a 2.5X or a 4X fixed power scope and shoot sabot rounds. That gives you a 150 yard deer gun. I just use rifle sights on my Mossberg slug gun and it shoots nearly as tight as my scoped smooth bore shotguns at 100 yards. You have a lot of options
  3. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

For home defense you are going to want an 18 1/2 inch barrel not a long goose barrel for your shotgun.

Some brands like Mossberg and Remington allow interchangeable barrels.

Here is a photo of my Mossberg model 590, which is strictly for home defense for me, but I could interchange the barrels with any of several others if I wanted.

That's the nice thing about Mossberg and also about Remington shotguns.

Attached Files:

4. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Well I tricked mine out mainly for the Nephews, the only part original is the receiver.

Went to an 18' Police Barrel, a 2 round extender & Ar style Butt - forend from Kicklite.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

I already have a home defense shotgun its a mossberg 500 , this one is just for fun
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I had an extension on my 870 years ago that gave it 10 rounds +1 in the chamber that I got from Choate Machine and Tool Co. I think I paid like $35 for it but that was 1993.
  7. JLA

JLA Moderator

Mines a +2 extension. Barrel is 19" cut down from 28".

Did all the work myself except the Re-installing the rem chokes. I sent the barrel to HelixFR for that. Hes already tooled up.

Attached Files:

8. H-D

H-D Active Member

which brand of mag tubes are good? they range from 20 bucks to over a hundred dollars! some are plastic, I dont want plastic, but are all the steel or aluminum ones ok? JLA I like that shotgun but I want mine a little longer, how much does HelixFR charge for re installing the choke tubes? I think 20-22 inches will be a good length with an 8 shot tube
  9. JLA

JLA Moderator

The one on my 870 is steel. I cant remember the brand but it was like 35 bucks or so and came with a new spring. Im not quite sure what Helix charges for re-installing chokes. I know hes tooled to do all of the different styles. He and I exchange services on a regular basis. Floppin freebies back and forth sorta thing, sort of favors between smiths.

Shoot him a PM, im sure he would be happy to fix you up.
  10. lexjes

lexjes New Member

ka64: Nice trick. I always liked shotgun for home defense. Plus the sound of that pump action is a universal language. In states like NY you do not need to go thru the hassle of pistol permits and something like this will work just fine. Nice setup!

lexjes