Pics! Colt 1860, D.Moore Pat....Unique Model ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Seal, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Jeff Seal

Jeff Seal New Member

Finally got pics done....

Colt 1860 ser.no 1221xx...all no.s match..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

D.Moore Pat Revolver ser. no 30xx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one I think is a model C
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although I'm not really looking for values, i would like to make sure I have the right designations.... (thus why I'm not in the "what it's worth" room, or maybe I should be?)

Anyway this is three out of the seven I inherited.. :)

Jeff Seal
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Some info on your D Moore

The revolver was manufactured by Moore Patent Firearms Company of Brooklyn, MY The firm made several thousand such revolvers between 1861 and 1863. Examples with 4", 5" or 6" barrels may be encountered. The Moore revolver was fairly popular for a brief period, but production was stopped because of a patent-infringement suit brought by Smith &Wesson.
    Should be a 7 hole cyl and approx .36 cal

Many of these revolvers were privately purchased by Union officers and enlisted men during the Civil War, but the arm was not adopted by the U.S. military.

The Unique model is the Military & Police
    Field stripping it

Value? You need a apprisal :)
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  4. Jeff Seal

Jeff Seal New Member

I really appreciate it, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I really could care less how much they're worth, but rather the history. This one and the 1860 are going into display cases along with my forefather's sword, discharge papers from the war and even the powder and shot "flask..?" along with some other really neat stuff. Luckily (and not) my family seems to have kept everything (literally) and until my dad got sick, I never knew all this stuff was still around. I even have the powder horn from the Revolutionary War and my great etc. grandfathers diary...he rode with Washington across the Delaware... :eek:

JS
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Your bottom pistol, labled "model C" is a typical Ruby-type pistol. These were made during the WWI era by a large number of small manufacturers in the Basque (Eibar) Region of Spain. The largest of these makers was Gabilondos Y Urresti-Elgoibar.....but there were many, many others. Gunmaking was a cottage industry in the Eibar Region from about 1900 to the early 1930's, and there were many dozens (perhaps hundreds) of small manufacturers.

Rubys were usually made in caliber 7.65mm (.32 Auto), but some were also made in 6.35mm (.25 Auto)....and a large number were made under a WWI contract for the French Army, but many thousands were also made for civilian sale.

Yours would appear to be in the "Fair-to-Poor" condition category....not quite "paperweight status" but only worth maybe $50-$75.

BTW Jeff.....the serial # on your Colt Army Model 1860 indicates it was made in 1863.