Pics for Bindernut

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JLA, May 20, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres a couple pics of the 6.5-284 I put together. The rifles enormous. Weighing in at 15 pounds and more than 4 feet long. Its a tuned stevens 200 long action i picked up on the cheap with a shilen select match barrel mated to it. with a match recoil lug and epoxy bedded to a Hogue pillar stock in Ghillie tan. Scoped with a Nikon 6-18X40 with target turrets and nestled tight in a DNZ gamereaper. Barrel is 28" 8 twist and by my figuring I should get about 3200 fps with 140 gr Amaxes.

Anyhoo, heres the pics, and of course my helper thru the whole project, My youngest boy Wes. ;)

Attached Files:

2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That boy of yours will be figuring out how to shoulder that big cannon just like his big pop does. That's a nice rig.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Hes a crack shot for a 4 year old and he cant wait til hes big enough to do it without my help.
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Those poses are awesome!! Nice rifle too.
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Josh, nice rifle, muscle man posing = Priceless!:D
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Nice rig!
    Still running the stock trigger with a little tuning or did ya go aftermarket?
    For having a bunch of stamped sheetmetal parts, you can tune those old Savage/Stevens triggers up pretty decent.

Looks like you're gonna be putting together a shorty stock pretty soon so it fits the little guy too!
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah i retained the stock trigger. I just stoned it to perfection and polished the engagements. Its a silky smooth 2 pounder now that breaks like lead crystal. The original savage triggers are not bad triggers at all. They are wonderfully adjustable and well made.

Yeah little man got to shoot it today. I started the laborious break in on it today. Cool thing tho, after boresighting on the 30" square paper at 200 yds, the first 5 shots made a cool little cluster just over an inch big at 6 o'clock. So i adjusted the scope and let wee man shoot it at the metal plate at 50 yards. Me thinks its gonna be a fair decent shooter with a good handload.