Pics of my whitetail buck scores 186

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by OneFatCat, Apr 29, 2009.

1. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Thought I would share a few pictures of a buck I harvested in Alberta Canada ..only had an 11.5 inch inside spread but scored 185 1/8

ofc

Attached Files:

2. muddober

muddober Active Member

OneFatCat: Thanks for sharing. I am amazed at mass and height of the horns. A very cool looking non-typical specimen.

Ron
  3. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    It is a small spread but it is also an impressive rack congratulations on the kill.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That's beautiful! Wouldn't get shot here where I live, it's an illegal deer! In Harrison Co. a legal buck deer is defined as having:
    a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND;
    at least one unbranched antler; OR
    an inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater.
  5. 45nut

45nut Active Member

What a great deer. I do have a slight problem with the semantics. You harvest a crop, but you kill an animal. :eek: :D

I ain't picking a fight, I just don't like the PC words folks feel they have to use in public to avoid all the animal rights wackos. Use the word kill and let the PC folks be damned. :D

Was this with a Canadian outfitter? I am just a little jealous!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I think that is exaxtly what is wrong with hunting these days. Everyone looks at a game animal like it is a crop to be managed, and harvested. I hunt to put meat on the table, and if I wanted to I wouldn't even pay attention to the stupid rules these nuts have come up with!
  7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Nice buck! I'd have shot it in a heartbeat!
  8. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

You may hunt for meat but how about all those poachers out there that kill all kinds of big game for different parts of their organs to ship over to china and other asian country because they think there is something special about it. There is a need for management or else their would be no game left in certain species. I for one still want to be hunting for a long time to come.
  9. 45nut

45nut Active Member

The way things are going with this administration, you're going to need to know how to make a bow & arrows from scratch! :eek:

I'm all for game management but it was commercial hunting, not individual hunters that killed too many game animals like waterfowl & deer. If you look at game populations you will see they for the most part are more plentiful now than at any time in our nation's past.

Look at whitetail deer as an example. Their population has exploded to the extent that they are taking over forests and endangering other wildlife. Not to mention that they are the most dangerous animal in North America with 120 people killed every year in fatal crashes. Why? Because man is the major predator now with the wolves almost gone the cougar's range has shrunk and coyotes only kill fawns & yearlings.

We have a strict season and bag limit and some states, like Ohio, are over run with deer, but will not increase the season length or the bag limit past 3 I think. I went there to hunt with my in-laws after they increased the bag limit to 2, but not for non residents. :mad: WTH??? Look at how much it costs to hunt in the western states as a non resident and you will see why the deer population is growing. Look at how much it costs to find a lease in Texas and you will understand why some folks don't deer hunt anymore.

With the present economic I don't look for hunting costs to go down. It burns my hide at the cost and paperwork you have to fill out to be able to kill one of "THE PEOPLE'S" deer.

Article here

"Recent studies of whitetail deer in the eastern deciduous forest demonstrate that there can be too many deer, and that their feeding has major impacts on forest vegetation and wildlife. But the general public and deer hunters do not understand this impact. This lack of understanding greatly impedes support for the only viable solution to the problem of too many deer, which is to reduce deer populations to the point where they no longer endanger forest resources."

More from the article:

The whitetail deer, hunted to near extinction at the turn of the century, has made a remarkable recovery throughout its range. Populations have irrupted in response to protective game laws, freedom from natural predators (wolves and mountain lions were mostly eliminated by early settlers because they preyed on livestock), and an abundance of favorable habitat (landscapes of intermingled young forest and agricultural fields that produce a plethora of deer food). Resource managers, forest landowners, and the general public are faced with the consequences--reduced diversity of woody and herbaceous forest ground cover and songbirds, delayed and altered recovery of forests from disturbance, and difficulty in regenerating commercially valuable tree species.

And the deer's impact is not limited to the forest ecosystem: Crop-damage figures are astronomical, totaling over $80 million annually in Pennsylvania alone. In addition, deer-vehicle collisions exceed 40,000 every year in both Michigan and Pennsylvania. And finally, the whitetail's voracious appetite includes most garden and home landscaping plants.

Motorists are often subjected to the conflicting sensations of adventure and danger that accompany most nighttime drives in the rural Appalachians and lake states. There may be pleasure in viewing a doe and her fawns grazing along the shoulder, but there is definitely terror in finding a 150-pound buck in your headlights at 55 miles per hour.

Wildlife biologist Brad Nelson agrees: "An aggressive program to KILL antlerless deer is one of the most effective ways to lower the deer herd. Allowing hunters to take two or more antlerless deer has lowered the herd in some Pennsylvania counties."
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  10. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Well since it is my buck, my thread and my story, right, wrong or in different I prefer to use the word "harvest" ...and yes I did use an outfitter ..if you are from out of country you have to use an outfitter ...mine was Don Tyschuk from Alberta Whitetail Connection.

ofc