Pics of the new snow camo Savage

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/25/02 9:52:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Pics of the new snow camo Savage
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I got some pics from sixtgunr of the snow camo paint job he is doing on my Savage Tactical .308. These are with just the base coat.

We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

Edited by: warpig883 at: 2/25/02 9:54:05 pm

SixTGunr
    (2/25/02 11:17:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Pics of the new snow camo Savage
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got her all ready to go ..... Now it's time to get down to the "nitty gritty" . No doubt she'll look fine when we get done dressin' 'er up in her snowsuit. Ya'll have a good one! Six

SixTGunr
    (2/25/02 11:25:00 pm)
    "E Pluribus Unum"

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 12:34:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Pics of the new snow camo Savage
    warpig - that's going to look so cool! SixTGunr - have no doubt you'll do a damn fine job!

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 6:44:13 am)
    What kind of prep-work is done to the the different materials?What kind of paint/solvents are used?
    I'm anxious to see it completed.

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/26/02 4:44:48 pm)
    Warpig, that rifle is just gonna hide from you if you ever set it down; I am impressed with his rifle displayed. BTW passed out one of your tootpicks to my Bro-in-Law after the wake, but he was too embarrased to use it after dinner. Lol! Saw him show it around to some of the country boys so now he has his own Texas credit card!
    cointoss2

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/26/02 6:35:42 pm)
    TLynn I agree this thing is going to be the cats ass of coyote killers. I needed the snow camo for winter coyote hunting.

Ziggy I do not know the particulars on the prep work and stuff other than I know he sanded it down. Shoot him an e-mail or you can find him on VMBB.

Cointos I am glad you gave one to your brother-outlaw
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

Hangfire
    (2/26/02 7:27:27 pm)
    That' going to be a nice piece when it's finished, Warpig. I'm thinking about getting one in .223. I need another prairie dog shooter. I hate waiting around for the barrels of my 22-250 and .243 to cool down when the dog shootins goin hot and heavy.
    Best regards

SixTGunr
    (2/26/02 9:27:05 pm)
    Zig ... I will check with my partner on the prep work for you. He does all the prepping and I do most of the art work. Is that teamwork or what? The majority of our work is done by hand. Gonna try to add a link to our website (which is still undergoing construction here and there) below. Ya'll have a great day! Six

www.angelfire.com/mo3/camo/index.html

skratch
    (2/26/02 11:28:53 pm)
    Hi Zig, skratch here, I'm the other half of Whamo-Camo. In answer to your questions on the prep work on the stocks basically what I do is first clean with denatured alcohol, then do any glass work for repair if needed, shape and sand as required, then clean with high pressure air and reclean with denatured alcohol. Next is masking off any areas as needed such as bedded surfaces, then apply 2 applications of primer and minimum of 3 applications of the base color. Then it's SixT's turn for the detail work. After he's done I finish it up with 3 coats of a clear satin acrilic sealer. Sufficent time is allowed between phases to let the applications cure, that's the most time consuming part.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 11:37:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    skratch - welcome to the boards. Can't wait to see what you two do to my SKS stock I sent in.

Thank you for telling us the process - very interesting.

skratch
    (2/27/02 12:18:53 am)
    TLynn, thanks for the welcome aboard! SixT was telling me tonight that you were sending an SKS stock, we'll do our best,,thanks again.......

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/27/02 12:27:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Sweet! You two do some awesome work!

SixTGunr
    (2/27/02 12:28:11 am)
    I believe we can fix the "T" up with something here partner. Welcome aboard and thanks for chime'n in here.

Edited by: SixTGunr at: 2/27/02 12:29:06 am

SixTGunr
    (2/27/02 12:37:12 am)
    We appreciate all the kind words folks and one thing we like about our work is that the vast majority of it is all done by "hand" (and brush of course) which tends to add a bit of originality. Though many of our camo paint jobs look "extremely similiar" there will never be any two that are "exactly alike". Our hands and eyes ain't that good but we give it our best shot. You don't really want to be like everyone else anyway ... right? Kinda stand out in the crowd so ta speak. You all have a great nite ... I best get back to my paint brush . Six

Edited by: SixTGunr at: 2/27/02 12:38:39 am

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/27/02 12:40:29 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Goodnight SixTGunr. Just wait till I ask you to desert camo one of my Enfields.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/27/02 7:18:42 am)
    Ya'll do nice looking work. It must take quite a lot of time for a completed job. I'm fimilure with the process, and knowing the prep-work and drying is time consuming, I can't imagine the detailed art-work.
    I can't wait to see Warpigs & TLynns finished pieces of Art-work!

velvetnsteel
    (2/27/02 8:33:36 am)
    Nice looking so far. And we are going to see the finished products, aren't we??
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

SixTGunr
    (2/27/02 9:01:05 am)
    Well V-N-Steel I sure hope so but that might depend on whether warpig has a digital. I will most assuredly take a few pics similiar to what you have already observed when it is done but the best way to get the full affect is to see it when its all put back together and the barreled action is up north. Have a great day ..... Six

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/27/02 9:15:26 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    velvetnsteel - when I get my SKS back and put together I'll post pictures.

SixTGunr
    (2/27/02 9:39:43 am)
    V-N-Steel ... Noticed your signature regarding the Swede. Definately nice shooters. This one belongs to skratch. Have a great day!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/27/02 10:23:18 am)
    I do not have a digital so you guys will have to wait until i get film developed. But I WILL post pics.

This rifle is a real accurate gun for me. I do my scope sighting in with a suspended steel target that is 2 inches in diameter. I can knock it in circles all day long at 200 yards. I should put it on paper one day to see how tight a group I can get. The heavy barrel is very nice for extended shooting periods.

I thought about having the barrel and action painted but chickened out on that one.

By the way this is the first scope and bipod Sixtgunr and Skratch have done so I am the guinea pig

Welcome Skratch

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/27/02 11:08:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Welcome Aboard Folks!

Nice work fella's!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator