The Firearms Forum banner

Pic's of your 1911's

Tags
354K views 1K replies 397 participants last post by  BigEd0511 
#1 ·
Would like to see some pics of members 19's. Thanx!

#827 ·
Well, after so many years of shooting reloads and never having a problem, I must say this came as a surprise. Like I said, I am glad I never shoot without my glasses because who knows what I would be facing today. As for the groupings, I wouldnt post them if I didnt shoot them. Its not uncommon to group like that at that distance. What was impressive is that it was done with a import 1911 that I paid less than 500 for right out of the box. The "cheap" gun will hang with many of my 1911s that cost double that. Heck, the rock island tactical I bought a while back has yet to fail me once. I have done all I know to make it not shoot and it refuses to malfunction. Limp wrist it, shoot it upside down, use any magazine you want, feed it reloads, flat nose, hollow points, whatever, it just doesnt matter.

#828 ·
Dan, I haven't looked at this thread in a few weeks, I hope your hand and face are getting better now. I have been shooting (only) reloads in my Citadel ever since I bought it from you. I have never had something like that happen with any reload (so far) and I have been shooting them for 30+ years.

I came to the thread today to post a picture of my newest 1911, I picked it up yesterday. It looks like any other 1911 except it is only 85% the size of a .45, this is the Browning 1911-22.

Attachments

#829 ·
Ahhh, so you finally found your browning after a 2 year search....I hope she is everything you hoped she would be and more.

#830 ·
Dan, several things. First off I am glad you are alright. Second, I am totally with JLA. That is why I do not collect 45acp for my reloads. I buy it new. I know that because the Glock does not have a supported chamber that when you fire that same brass in a 1911, or any other semi auto pistol that can happen. I have also heard that can happen by shooting once fired brass from a Glock into a Glock again. That is why I don't own a Glock and is why I went with my Springfield and the of course with my 1911 there after. If a person only shoots factory that is one thing. But for reloads I passed on the Glock. Then third, as much as you shoot I have no doubt that you actually had a group that tight at 40'. I would just like to see them closer next time. :D

I am glad your good to go.
It is my understanding that this problem with Glocks was concerning .40SW, a much higher pressure round. Also this was on older Glocks and the problem reportedly has been since rectified.

I have reloaded somewhere around 100k rounds of .45 ACP, all of it in at least once fired, and a bunch of many times fired cases. I have seen failures like this on three occasions. Two, including mine were from overcharged or doublecharged cases. The third was from a badly overthroated 1911.

If a case has been subjected to an overpressure situation, whether from excessive charging, or being un-supported, it will show obvious bulging on one side of the case head area.

This piece of brass looks exactly like the one I had, which I know from back checking what I did, was overcharged.

JMHO....

#831 ·
Got my frame back from Doug Turnbull yesterday and finished putting my birthday present from my wife together last night. It turned out so nice I had to share it with you. This is my first "Custom Build" and the final results are better than I could have dreamed. I am still a working stiff so it will be the weekend before I can post a range report. By the way, the grips are by our friend "Woodnut".
One of my favorites in this entire thread, Semper Fi ! :patriotic:

#832 ·
I got her in today and she is a thing of beauty. Colt Wiley Clapp Commander. Lightweight alloy frame and very nicely done checkering. I will put her thru the paces tomorrow and see if she is going to earn top spot or not....:)

Attachments

#833 ·
Took the new colt commander out today for a short test drive. Only ran about 50 rounds thru her but I mixed them up between hollow points and fmjs and just wanted to get a feel for the gun. It grouped extremely tight offhand and I was impressed for the little I shot it. I plan to do more tomorrow. So far, so good. Great weight, nice feel, nice checkering and grips and alloy frame and the guy I got it from included a wilson full length guide rod which I did install, jury still out on whether it helps or not...anyhow, didnt show any signs of a hicup. Feeds whatever nicely.

#838 ·
black mask, shades, black gloves, dark long-sleeve shirt...ya.

#840 ·
Any help on a Kimber 1911?

I have only 3 1911s now but about a dozen hand guns of other makes and models but i'm in the market for a conceal carry 1911 that is all stainless and a 3" barrel. I'm looking at a Kimber Eclipse Ultra ll. Can anyone give me any info on this gun? Can anyone tell me of another maybe better conceal carry gun that is a small all steel 1911?

#841 · (Edited)
Re: Any help on a Kimber 1911?

I have only 3 1911s now but about a dozen hand guns of other makes and models but i'm in the market for a conceal carry 1911 that is all stainless and a 3" barrel. I'm looking at a Kimber Eclipse Ultra ll. Can anyone give me any info on this gun? Can anyone tell me of another maybe better conceal carry gun that is a small all steel 1911?
I can tell you that I have a colt defender 3" barrel and it has a lightweight alloy frame and is very accurate. Great carry gun. I have several commanders that are great carry guns as well. One of my favorites is my S&W E-series commander with a scandium frame and a round butt. You see my wiley clapp commander pictures further up the page. These are lightweight guns too and make excellent carry guns. Commanders have 4.25 barrels.

Attachments

#844 ·
You wont have any problem with an aluminum frame. But, if you have doubts, dont buy one. I will tell you that the weight makes for a great carry gun and I highly doubt you will ever outshoot the frame.....

#846 ·
I sold my first SA 1911 (loaded) like an idiot because my unit armorer scared me into the 'alloy frame might crack' idea.

Had over 100k rounds through the gun then sold it to a buddy who still shoots and carries it to this day!

If it's going to primarily be a carry gun, there's nothing wrong with the alloy/lightweight frames. If you're Todd Jarret and shoot a million rounds a year then I would say steel only.

#847 ·
I sold my first SA 1911 (loaded) like an idiot because my unit armorer scared me into the 'alloy frame might crack' idea.

Had over 100k rounds through the gun then sold it to a buddy who still shoots and carries it to this day!

If it's going to primarily be a carry gun, there's nothing wrong with the alloy/lightweight frames. If you're Todd Jarret and shoot a million rounds a year then I would say steel only.
I shoot mine quite often and I have never had any issues. I doubt the average shooter would ever have any issues with an alloy frame. I wouldnt be afraid to run high volumes thru mine.

#848 ·
Have you guys seen this new s&w pro shop 1911? It has some nice features and is priced right in comparison to others....List price is 1539.00 and dealer cost is 1170.00. I like it.

Attachments

#849 · (Edited)
And then there is the version of my everyday carry e series they just did...Same price as the full size...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.