The Firearms Forum banner

Pictures of my latest Garand that arrived today

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  firefighter1635 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got my latest Garand from the CMP. HRA 5.5 mil.
Mixed emotions, it looks pretty much like a brand new rifle due to the awful "pumpkin birch" CMP stock and while it looks really sharp and clean, I think (getting advice that I might've scored original perfect park)it has black Greek re-parkerization. Still, it's a beauty and looks nice next to my others that are sporting GI, but well worn walnut. Can't wait for the IHCs to be released! Hopefully here's a few pics...

See less See more
#2 ·
Ive got a spare GI walnut stock that's in pretty good shape. Ill make you a sweet deal on it..

#3 ·
Ive got a spare GI walnut stock that's in pretty good shape. Ill make you a sweet deal on it..
we might have to talk :)....gotta wait tho until a field grade (ordered on the last day any FGs were offered for sale) shows up and see what that one has. BTW, what maker is it? Does it have a cartouche?

#5 ·
Came off a march '44 springfield. CircleP on the front of the pistol grip.

Ill snap a couple pics right quick. Its left over from the M1 I just had restored. it was too pretty to throw away so I kept it for a spare. just couldn't bring my self to toss it. Ill never use it..

#6 ·
hot off the digital. This stock actually came off the CMP M1 I bought off George Moody a couple years ago.

That rifle now sits all nice and restored in a new milspec walnut stock rebarreld to fire .308 Winchester.

Attachments

#7 ·
Man, that sure is purdy!!

I went over to the South store last month and their supply of Garands was pretty pitiful!
The Garands at the CMP are almost gone. The CEO "Orest" Posted a few days ago on the CMP forums that they have 87,000 left. That's a list of serial numbers. They open a crate full and see what they got. That serial number might refer to a lump of melted metal with a tag that says "serial XXXXX destroyed in a fire" or it might be a never issued M1 with foil on the front sight. So they figure there's about 60,000 max to be sold.
They sell 30,000 a year.
Get them while you can.

#8 ·
hot off the digital. This stock actually came off the CMP M1 I bought off George Moody a couple years ago.

That rifle now sits all nice and restored in a new milspec walnut stock rebarreld to fire .308 Winchester.
Thanks for the pics, it doesn't look like it in the pics, but maybe I just can't see, but there's no sign of any cartouche on the left side right below the heel is there?

#11 ·
That stock that Josh showed is off of one that I got from the South store a few years ago, when the racks were FULL and the prices were affordable. The cheapest functioning rifle I saw there last month was $1200. I can't afford another one at those prices.
I know its sad. Prices are skyrocketing. And they are doing it fast. Im getting ready to send my other M1 to DGR for full restoration as well. When prices blow the roof out and you just cant get them anymore I am going to have 2 of the nicest M1s in existence, and they'll both be stellar shooters.

#13 ·
Yes. I got the barrel, most of the stock hardware, gas block, sights and sight parts, gas plug, and springs. They kept the op rod for a rebuild core, and reused everything else.

#15 ·
Here is some points to ponder about M1 Garands:

They were last made over 50 years ago. They were designed in the 1930's. Many in the CMP stockpile were new or nearly so (I saw the one a friend got back in the 1990's and it was new). Even the untouched better grade guns were in excellent shape as we saw with two that we got from CMP about 5 years back. Even the heavily used ones can be made serviceable again as parts are readily available. CMP offers a restoration model (the Special which I bought about 5 years ago) that includes a new Criterion barrel and new stock that shoots great. Today the Obama administration takes their old AR's and destroys them to keep them from the public. There will be no ex-military AR's for us in the future. Besides that, the AR's when worn out might be difficult to restore to new specs as are the Garands. The Garand design was so robust that a slightly modified version (military version was the M14) is made new today as the Springfield M1A.

The Garand is a prime example of "they don't make 'em like that anymore"! The exception has to be Springfield Armory's M1A because it is basically the same design modernized.

With just about two year's stock left of M1 Garands, we may see the end of CMP (???). What a run! and we benefitted in spades.

LDBennett

#16 ·
Very nice rifle.

I've got an order number on my service grade but I'm guessing it will be a month at least before I get a shipment. While I'd love a classic stock I'm fine with a new one.

#17 ·
I've never owned a Garand but have shot a couple. To anyone that loves firearms, expecially military firearms the Garand has to top the list. IMHO it's the most beautiful old work horse battle rifle ever made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.