Pietta 1858 Remington 44 caliber pistol

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by berrde, Apr 9, 2010.

1. berrde

berrde New Member

Hi,
    I have a Pietta 1858 Remington 44 caliber pistol, I am using Pyrodex P powder, the manual I got with the gun says I can use 28 grains of Pyrodex P, I have 2 powder measures, 1 set at 30 grains by volume weighs 21.5 grains, 1 set at 30 grains by volume weighs 18.5 grains, what do I use, I am shooting a .454 lead ball.
  2. stewswanson

stewswanson New Member

Try someone else's measure to determine which one is off. Forget about the weight, it is
    not aplicable in BP shooting (all measures are by volume). BTW, 28 gr. of Pyrodex is what I use with a wonder wad over the powder and under the ball (.454). Enjoy your
    Pietta. Stew
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Ignore the scale weight of black powder and substitutes. They are meaningless and should not be brought into the equation.

Black powder loads don't really notice slight variations in volume. Over 30 gr (VOLUME) loads, most guns will display very similar ballistics with a 5 gr spread (+2.5 / -2.5) Pistol loads won't see a significant difference in accuracy, penetration or ballistics at a 3 or 4 grain spread.

Don't go by weight. It will confuse you at best and destroy your gun and you at worst.

Pick one and use it.

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2010
  4. Pustic

Pustic Member

I own five .44 cal. 1858 Remingtons and three of them are Piettas, the other two are also Italian made. But that doesn't matter, they all shoot the same thing anyway. I use anywhere from 22 grains to 30 grains, depending on what I'm shooting at. If it's just a paper target or a can or bottle I'll use a lighter load and save some powder for another shot. If I'm shooting a long shot or hunting with one then I'll heavy up the load, but not past max. I find that around 27 grains is a comfortable charge with good hitting power and good penetration.
    Yes, I did say hunting. The Remington is a very nice handgun for brush hunting, it will bring down a deer with no problem. One of my Remingtons is the Bison, and with the longer barrel it's almost like shooting a handheld carbine. The 1858 might be a nice gun to shoot targets with, but remember that it is a very deadly weapon.
    Enjoy your Remington and keep your powder dry.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  5. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Was wondering how you loaded your blackpowder cartridges?
  6. Oldbull

Oldbull New Member

Only real black powder can be weighed accurately on a scale. ALL other black powder substitutes must be measured using volume. :eek:
  7. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

True on both counts Oldbull. ;)