Pinfire revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kjlkkba, May 2, 2007.

1. kjlkkba

kjlkkba New Member

Am looking for information on a Lafaucheue 44 cal, made in Paris, France,( PARIS engraved on top of barrel, begining infront of the cylinder ), in original handmade box, with Has-Shefield Bowie knife in original sheath and the gun/bullet belt, and a few rounds of amo. Elaborate & deep engraving in excellent shape. No engraving was done on lower half of the barrel. It is a pinfire revolver. Any help as to approximate value would be greatly appreciated. Hope there is someone that can give me some direction as to where I might go for more information!!
    Thanks, KJLKKBA

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. kjlkkba

kjlkkba New Member

Is there no one that may know where I might find the value of this gun?
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Are you sure it's not Lefaucheux? I found 0 on Lafaucheue, except from a previous thread you made and I used Google.
    Last edited: May 28, 2007
  4. sarzak

sarzak New Member

the pattern looks to be belgium, but the engraving and the "paris" marking scream spanish copy. by the way the ejector rod is missing
  5. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

The Lefaucheux pin fire revolver was developed by Eugene Lefaucheux, the son of Casimir Lefaucheux, the man who developed the first effective pin fire cartridges. The revolvers were patented in 1854 and the french navy adopted them in 1858. The model 1858 was in 10.7mm. or .42 cal. I see that the one pictured is a civilian version (spur on trigger gaurd not present on Navy model). It holds the distinction of being the first metallic cartridge handgun to be adopted by any military power for service use. In 1873, the model 1858s were converted to centre-fire and from single to double action as the Model 1858 "Transforme" but this doesn't apply to the civilian guns. If yours is an original,it was not necessarily made in Paris, many were built in St. Etienne and Liege. Liege is known for beautiful engraving work. In the pics it looks like the barrel is forged as one piece with the lower frame?? If so that would indicate an early piece made at the Paris works itself, otherwise the barrel would be attached by a screw and could have been made anywhere. Also indicating an early model is the rounded stock, many later examples having the "saw handle" style stock which was also used on Belgian copies of good and poor quality. I have no idea of value as I'm reading all this from an old hardback copy of "The Handgun" by Geoffrey Boothroyd. Great reference book but a litle dated. Of course it could be a Spanish copy like Sarzak said and I could be talking out myA#$.
  6. kjlkkba

kjlkkba New Member

Looking through the book on pinfire revolvers, the closest to matching this gun that I have is the one that Jeb Steuart was holding in a photo during the Civil War. Still cannot find help with determining the value!!
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  7. Danny

Danny Member

Hi Ken,
    I'm pretty sure Stonewall used a Lamatt revolver,the one with the shotgun barrel under the main barrel.His mother is buried only several miles from where I live.The first chance I get over there I will dig here up and ask her what pistol he used?Just kidding,your pistol at auction if authenic would fetch around 2k.
    Regards
    Danny
  8. Danny

Danny Member

Ken I am sorry,it was Jeb Stuart that used the LaMatt.
    Danny
  9. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I'll give ya 20 bucks... :)
  10. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I don't know about the pistol, but that Bowie knife is worth a bundle!
  11. kjlkkba

kjlkkba New Member

What is a " bundle "? That is in $$.
  12. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  13. kjlkkba

kjlkkba New Member

If interested in more photos, send me your email a kjlkkba@yahoo.com and I can "share " 2 photo alblums that I have created on Shutterfly.com. Thanks kjlkkba:)
  14. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The gun is acid etched, not engraved.
    The knife is a bowie-style hunter, not a bowie. There is serious damage to the edge.
    Bill
  15. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Sure enough that blade has been ground pretty hard. Also looks like there has been alteration to the original blade profile; possibly shortened. May have been rehafted at some point; the nikel fittings do not color match. Not enough pictures at the correct angles; but, that is what it looks like from the point of view.