Pioneer Ash Cake

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by ncbelly, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ncbelly

ncbelly New Member

My dad used to make this when I was young....when we would go camping.

This is possible only with wood fires. Great when camping! Make dough as for plain corn bread, and add a little salt. Sweep a clean place on the hottest part of the hearth. Pile the dough on it in a flattish mound, cover with big leaves--cabbage leaves will do at a pinch, then pile on embers with coals over them and leave for an hour or more, according to size. If you have a fire in the dirt, then place the cabbage(or whatever leaves) on the ground, and pile the dough on the leaves, then cover it with leaves too.

Take up, brush off ashes, and break away any cindery bits. If you want to, you can use a damp dish towel to wipe down the ashes off.

Serve with new butter and fresh buttermilk. Great with chili too!

This was sometimes the sole summer supper of very great families in the old time.

Beyond a doubt, ash cake properly cooked has a savory sweetness possible to no other sort of corn bread.
  2. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Ensure they aren't poison ivy leaves...... :eek:..:D

Sounds great.....:)