The Firearms Forum banner

Pistol Caliber Carbine

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  GilaDan 
#1 ·
Im looking at the kel-tec 2000. Like the interchangable mags. The hipoint 995 is more in my price range though.
Thoughts?
Suggestions?

#2 ·
Yes I had a Sub 2000

The sites are very basic and not terribly sturdy but they work well
the problem I had was it jars your teeth out
I put some pipe insulation on mine and it helped some

It was very dependable and accurate
just not that much fun to shoot

#4 ·
I recently bought a high point 45 carbine used but in good condition. I have shot maybe 200 rounds thru it and I cant complain. For the price they are pretty decent.

#10 ·
I felt a little sick when I saw what they are selling for now.

I bought mine in about 1998 or so, used in a pawn shop and I paid under $200. When I was hard up for money at time and I sold it for $275 and now you just about can't touch one for $500

#11 · (Edited)

Attachments

#12 ·
The JR Carbine is a great little rifle. It comes in 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP. The quality is good and their customer service is fantastic, really nice people that will do whatever they can to help. A little pricey, but worth the spend. They use Factory Glock mags

#13 ·
I personally have the Hi-point 4095… the .40 S&W carbine… I love it.. Took a deer with it (defense ammo) at 45 yards ish.. deer walked 10 yards may be. I put a lot of reloads through this thing ( about 1000 a year). Ill group about 10" at 100 yards…. iron sights. Thats a "hot load" I created for it.
Only issue I have had so far, is the 2 receiver cross bolts bent on me.. Hipoint sent me new ones for free. I think Ill need a firing pin next… thats starting to bend… but this is on un-official "Hot loads".
Good to shoot.. Quite compared to my Xdm in .40 S&W.. and DEADLY accurate up to 50 Yards!
All in my opinion though.

#14 ·
Wow, you guys are all in love with High Point, not too many years ago here guys were dumping all OVER anything High Point...

..changing of the guard?:cool::p;):D:D

Anyway, my latest heart throb that I must buy soon in the pistol/carbine mode is a Rossi 92 carbine in .454 Casull....

Because pistol cartridges are legal for deer in rifles in Indiana now, I always loved lever actions (even though I the only one I ever owned VERY briefly was a Winchester Ranger M94 .30-30 a long time ago,) I have always loved the .45 Colt round, which the Casull will shoot, and will match the Ruger .45 Colt/.45 ACP interchangeable cylinder Backhawk which I ALSO must buy soon....;):D:D

But here I go again, not long ago Rossi had the same reputation here as High Points USED to....:p

#15 ·
With the Hi-point.. if it does fail… you have an eight pound club you can swing! I like it.. bought it so I could "move yard debris around". I got mine before the cool "tactical" stocks… "the ugly stick" days. I keep it as a back up for my "bug out" gun… It shoulders and aims effortlessly. I could shoulder it with eyes closed… open them up and I am all sighted up! fits ME nicely! No real kick, the blow back design absorbs a lot of that. My only complaint.. the trigger pull is heavier than the carbine is (loaded).

#16 ·
I would like a .45ACP carbine. I have more .45 ACP ammo than any other ammo (which may change though with the end of the AR 15 build). I have been looking at those Hi-Point .45 carbines. Just not sure if I really want one so bad as to put it on the top priority or if I'd like something else more instead.

#17 ·
I would like a .45ACP carbine. I have more .45 ACP ammo than any other ammo (which may change though with the end of the AR 15 build). I have been looking at those Hi-Point .45 carbines. Just not sure if I really want one so bad as to put it on the top priority or if I'd like something else more instead.
Before you buy the Hi-Point carbine, know that the magazine holds 9 rounds, and the Hi-Point magazine is the only magazine that will fit the gun. You can order more 9 round magazines from Hi-Point for $20 each.

#18 ·
Before you buy the Hi-Point carbine, know that the magazine holds 9 rounds, and the Hi-Point magazine is the only magazine that will fit the gun. You can order more 9 round magazines from Hi-Point for $20 each.
You can easily modify 1911 mags to work in the Hi-Point 45cal model.

There are a few Youtube videos about the process. It only takes a minute or two to do it, if that..

#19 ·
Hmmm - I really like that Marlin Camp carbine. Think I'll start looking for one of those. Have an empty slot to fill in the rifle rack :)

#22 ·
Today I held a Just Right -JR- Carbine
They resemble an AR platform. The one I held is $799

when and if I'm ready, that will be the one I get in a 45 ACP
The one I saw took Glock mags as well. The thing is built well and apparently they have a great reputation.

#23 ·
The keltecs, marlin camps, and highpoints I have played with all worked. But if I was wanting a pistol caliber carbine I would go for a mech tec ccu. Turn your 1911 or glock into a carbine.
http://www.mechtechsys.com/index.php
Thats cool as hell!.. Hell Michigan… Need to have them make one for the Springfield Xdm!

#24 ·
I recently bought a JR Carbine in 9mm. I took it apart and changed it over from a right-hander to a left-hander in about 40 minutes. I thought the bolt was a little hard to move so I was skeptical about the performance I might have on the first time out with it. I loaded up some mags from my Glock 17 and 19 to use with it and I had previously bought two cheap after market 22 round fake Glock mags from Sportsmansguide so I took those as well. I fired Remington, Federal, Winchester, Sellier Bellot and Wolf through it with no failures of any kind even with the cheap aftermarket mags. I am pretty impressed...... Now I have a bug out bag with my Glock knife, my Glock 17 pistol and a good 9mm carbine that uses the same mags.

One downside ---- it does take a while to break down and clean.

#25 ·
OldCap, I put a JR Carbine-9mm on layaway. Excited to get it out of jail in a month or two. Curious if you reload 9mm and if you have found a specific load that works good.

Also, did I read correctly in one review that you are not supposed to use +P in the JR? Wondering if the manual mentions that. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.