Pistol for whitetails

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/21/02 9:41:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Pistol for whitetails
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know the .45acp is not considered a hunting caliber, but I'v been shooting a Kimber target for about 2 months now and have been very suprised at the how accurate it is. I hunt every year with a couple of Rugers in 44mag and 45lc. And have done fine with them, but I would dearly love to try this Kimber on Whitetails. I'm just getting into handloading so working up a load wont be a problem. I was thinking about a 200gr. softpoint loaded to +p velocity. But factory ammo wouldnt be a problem either...

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/22/02 8:26:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Pistol for whitetails
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chief, I'm have been working on loads of Speer Gold Dot in 185, 200 & 230 JHP for the 45 Super to shoot from a SA V-16. The V-16 is a 6" ported 1911 setup for the 45 Super or the ACP. I have tried the loads from Texas Ammunition Co., loaded with the Hornady 185, 200 and 230 gr XTP-JHP, but they did not shoot very accurate out of this pistol and they are VERY expensive.

This is what TAC claims from their loads: "muzzle velocity of 1200fps with the Hornady 230 grain XTP-JHP and 230 grain FMJ-FP and a whopping 529 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards out of the Springfield V-16 (6" ported barrel)."

I believe the 45 ACP can be a good round for whitetail deer provided you can obtain the 500 foot pounds of energy most states require for muzzle energy from a handgun.

I have read reports of the Kimber being modified for the 45 Super round.
    See A Kimber in .45 SuperĀ® for under $8?
    Also see, .45 SuperĀ® Handload Data

"They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

anchored
    (8/2/02 2:31:17 pm)
    My best friend just got his first whitetail with a laser-sighted 1911.

'course, it had just been hit by a passing car and was just laying there looking at him, and the shot was at point-blank range, out of season, but it worked.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travelling man, I have chalked up many a mile; read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles.
    -J. Buffett
    {Auction45}{Famous Flying Yen}{my Blog}

hotload
    (8/6/02 8:46:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 45 for deer
    Howdy anchored, See if you can pry some details out of youre friend. That would be a good way to find out about bullet performance. Of course he may think you are some kind of blood thirsty nut.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/21/02 6:51:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 45 for deer
    I found an old leather holster I plan to attach to the side of one of my open deer stands, it stands in such a way that a deer could walk right up under me...so to keep from making any noise I'll have the ol .45 cocked and ready, eased down in the holster, and if I have a shot that close I'll take it...probabally be able to see his ol heart a thumping from that distance so I cant see any way to miss, but if hes far enough away that I can bring a clear image of him into the scope of the 25-06 I'll leave the pistol holstered.

hotload
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/21/02 8:42:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del HANDGUNS AND RIFLES
    I've tried that before, taking my rifle and a handgun with me just one is close enough to use it. Guess what? I had a big fat doe come close enough for me to spit on, and I just couldnt make myself pull the handgun out. I just sent a .308 Core Lock thru her boiler room. This year I am planning to take just my 44 Super Blackhawk to the woods so I dont have a choice.
    GOOD LUCK AND GOOD SHOOTING !!!!!!

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/23/02 6:05:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: HANDGUNS AND RIFLES
    You can shoot 45 super out of the Kimber. You will have to change the recoil spring and some other stuff. I Know that Ace Customs has the information. I am not sure what all must be done to shoot the 45 super in your Kimber. I have the V-16 Springfield 45 super. I have also developed a hunting round with a 230 gr that gives 1000-1100 fps on my chrony.

Ace customs---www.acecustom45.com/gunsmith.htm

Edited by: shooter22 at: 8/23/02 7:07:44 pm

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/25/02 7:58:11 am)
    Well, I did get the holster screwed to the stand, and if nothing else I like the feel of easing my "back up gun" up in the holster before I ever climb the stand, makes for less stuff bumping around while I climb up and sit down.
    Hotload...I always carry my back up for hogs, big cats and the such, and I just worry that bucky may walk up under my stand and stop to look around...if this were to happen, in my opinion I stand a good chance of him seeing/smelling me, after a few minutes, and bolting before he got out far enough to become a feasible, clear image, in my rifle scope.

JackRyann
    (10/29/02 1:30:57 am)
    Why not just use the gun you already own that is designed for the job you want to do?

It just doesn't seem too bright to go deer hunting with a 45 and leave the 44 mag at home?
    Grill it and kill it! Or some thing like that.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/29/02 7:23:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: HANDGUNS AND RIFLES
    I didn't know EVERYONE owned a 44 mag.
    ~"And every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/29/02 9:19:21 am)
    Crpdeth -

I think that he was most likely responding to the original post in this thread, where Chief 101 talks about having, and hunting with, a .44Mag and .45LC.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/29/02 11:41:46 am)
    I know it's illegal to hunt with a 45auto in Indiana

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/29/02 4:35:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: HANDGUNS AND RIFLES

Quote:
    I think that he was most likely responding to the original post in this thread, where Chief 101 talks about having, and hunting with, a .44Mag and .45LC.

Ahhh...Were on the same page now...Been awhile since I read the first post, my apoligies to jack for the confusion.
    ~"And every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)

JackRyann
    (10/29/02 9:10:28 pm)
    No problemo on the confusion. I could'a been more specific. It's all water under the bridge now.

I will tell ya if I'm hungry and ALL I had was the 45, well nothing that taste good better walk in front of me. But it just seems silly to me to go deer hunting with it and leave the "right" gun at home on purpose.
    Grill it and kill it! Or some thing like that.

Ballistic
    (12/17/02 2:16:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del www.magnumreasearch.com
    check out the link above for a nice hunting pistol...
    its called the Lone Eagle, and comes in many calibers, id prefer .308!

www.magnumresearch.com

edited to post and activate link - ruffitt

Edited by: ruffitt at: 12/17/02 10:53:02 am

astute observer
    (12/29/02 7:41:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: www.magnumreasearch.com
    I became very interesred several years ago, when the state of Illinois first announced that we would have a pistol season for deer. "A Contender with a .45-70 barrel......perfect, I thought!" But alas, they have a maximum case length and the .45-70 is way beyond it!

DE44TCN
    (2/12/03 8:18:05 pm)
    I own a Desert Eagle in 44mag, I will be deer hunting this year with it. During gun season in Southern Michigan rifles are not allowed, it's shotgun or handgun for me.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/12/03 10:26:32 pm)
    Welcome to the board, DE44TCN -

Hope you enjoy this forum and will join us in discussions on the many other forums here on the board.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/13/03 1:35:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Pistol for whitetails
    Well Lookie Here willya, we gots a'nother Michigaander on the Board.

Welcome to ya there DE44TCN.

Where'bouts in Southern Michigan y'all call home?

I frum the Grand Rapids area.

DE44TCN
    (2/14/03 4:12:00 pm)

Quote:
    Where'bouts in Southern Michigan y'all call home?

I hold it down just north of Ann Arbor.

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/03 3:34:10 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Pistol for whitetails
    DE44TCN -

Fare e'nuff. I live up around Grand Rapids.

Make it down ta yer neck a'the woods 'bout ev'ry 2 er 3 months fer a friendly visit with the Docs over at U of M.

Again, Welcome to The Firearms Forum. Don't be no stranger and post as much as you line in any topic area you like.

Regards

DE44TCN
    (2/17/03 5:13:04 pm)
    ruffitt

My grandparents lived just outside of Rockford up until the late 80's. I spent some time roaming corn and wheat fields out there in my younger years. I like the west side of the state alot.