pistol grip on a post-ban AK

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Zigzag2, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

cloudjockey
    (4/3/02 2:18:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All pistol grip on a post-ban AK
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just wondering if it is legal to put a pistol grip (us made) on a post-ban AK (the AK came with a thumb hole stock). This AK does not have a bayonet lug, a bayonet, threaded barrel, nut does accept detachable mags.

Edited by: cloudjockey at: 4/3/02 2:19:46 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/3/02 3:04:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: pistol grip on a post-ban AK
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What Model/Maker? LTS
    T.F.F.

cloudjockey
    (4/3/02 5:33:07 pm)
    It's a Romanian made one, and has ROMAK 1 stampd on it. I belive it's a 1997 made one.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/3/02 7:04:05 pm)
    The ROMAK was the predecesser of the SAR-1. Though it was built here, it did not contain the Amount of US parts and was before this loophole was found by makers, which now allows for the pistol grip. Though, you could change it over by changing out and replacing firing components, gas tube, ect. You would be wise to document it, but even then it could cause trouble......because the name "ROMAK" eludes to the dating and shows it with the butthole stock (nicer wood though). The BATF also in it`s new ruling considers the butthole stock as a "Protuding Pistol Grip", the follows the same logic as flash suppressor, the word "suppressor" was used against us, as BATF heard suppessor, claimed it suppressed.....now illegal and in their eyes is the same as a sonic suppressor. If you must have a correctly configured AK, sell it and get a SAR-1. You should be able to find a new one in the low 300.00 range, then sell the ROMAK. Peace of mind, has no price. Regards LTS
    T.F.F.

cloudjockey
    (4/3/02 8:37:13 pm)
    Thanks for the info., that's kinda wht I thought. I think I'll that your advice and sell the ROMAK and get a SAR-1. Then I will have the pistol grip and not the worries. Thanks again