Pistol gripped vs Straight stocked levers and Scopes

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by AngelDeville, Sep 17, 2007.

?

Which stock is best for a scoped lever action?

1. Pistol Grip

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Straight Stock

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. No preference

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I absolutely LOVE lever guns, My main rifle for years has been my straight stocked Marlin 1894 in 45-70.

I have planned to get a flatter shooting round for some time now, and I have decided on .308.

My dream rifle has been a Browning BLR, and I recently discovered that Browning makes a Stainless version, unfortunately only in a pistol grip.

I also have never owned a scope, will the pistol grip be preffered to the straight stock with a scope mounted???

OR should I just get the straight stock and quit whining?
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. Personally, I like the pistol grip. It just seems to fit me more comfortably than a straight grip. Still, you should get what feels best to you! Each of us has a slightly different way of holding a rifle.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have always preferred a PG.

Browning makes the BLR '81, which should be readily available, as listed in the current year's catalogue as "BLR '81 Light Weight. It appears to be same works as the PG version on an SG stock and with a straight lever rather than the curved fit for the PG stock. It is a Big Brother to the Browning BL22 !!!!

I shoot left-handed and when growing up only could comfortably shoot a lever, hence most of my rifles are levers, including my favorite big game rifle, a Browning BLR Lightning in .30-06 calibre with a Burris Fullfield II scope. I, too, have a Marlin 1894 but mine is in .44 Magnum, however, I have thought several times of trying to find a PG version of it, which was made for only one of two recent years, and trade my SG off.
  4. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I'm left handed and like lever actions too.
  5. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

I voted for Pistol Grip because, it just feels better in the hand but, the straight stock is a lot sexier :D
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I not a really "big" lever guy but I like 'em and have owned a few of both types. I've owned four with pistol grips (one at the moment) and four with straight stocks (two at he moment). I currently use the pistol grip one most often but man, do I love my old straight grip Winchesters! The other two straight grips I've owned have been BLRs and that's the same style I plan on getting once again not too far down the road. Absolutely love 'em!
  7. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I've never seen a lever rifle w/ a pistol grip. Can someone post a pic?

Makin' me feel like a rookie...:eek:
  8. Here ya go, Bruce. :D

[​IMG]
    Straight Grip

[​IMG]
    Pistol Grip
  9. BobMcG

I have a feeling that you're confusing the pistol grip we're discussing with ones found on actual military assault rifles and their similar looking civilian clones.

Here are examples of both.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Marlin 1894 .38/.357 and a Jaeger M-16 look-alike and I like them both. I have scopes on both. Gripwise, the BLR would be a sort of crossover between the two.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  11. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Is a Browning Lever action in .308 any good? I've had my eye on one for a while. Can you get extra magazines for it?
  12. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I have never owned a Browning BLR, but I can add to the list of things I never should have passed up, a BLR in 243 that I said no to, years ago. It had a "no significance" scope on it and was in exceptional condition, for $279 used and in fantastic condition. From everything I have read over the years, and all the shooters I have talked to, the BLR is an exceptionally well made rifle. It seems to combine all the best features of other high pressure rifles in a sleek and not-bulky lever platform. If the price is right, I dont think you can go wrong with a BLR .308

I have owned and shot many lever action rifles, both with and without a pistol grip stock. I severely miss my Winchester 88 .308 and my Marlin 336 RC in 35 Rem. The 88 is of course pistol gripped and the RC was straight. Both were scoped and both fit me very well, and were very quick onto target, even tho each actually fit "differently" because of the differences in the stocks. I am not sure I have a preference, choosing between a straight or pistol gripped lever action, but I can appreciate those that DO have a preference because they do actually fit the shooter differently. I like the lines of the 94 with a straight grip, and yet I like the 336 with the pistol grip; kinda hard to explain. Why do some people prefer vanilla over chocolate? lol I guess maybe its kinda like THAT. Personal preference............
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Always shot straight grip lever and wouldn't have it any other way. More comfortable.
  14. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I like the English stocked rifles and shotguns. :) Cliff
  15. pricedo

pricedo Member

I like the straight grip.
    Only pistol grip leverguns I own are a Ruger 96/44 & a Rossi Rio Grande in .30 WCF cause that was the only choices available.
    Browning BLR 81 Takedown with straight comb, several 92s ......all straight comb stocks.
  16. BobMcG

I've owned two BLRs in .308 with scopes on both of them and liked them very much. IMO you wouldn't be making a mistake by going with one with a straight stock.

It's gone both ways for me throughout the years; sometimes having more pistol grip levers around and other times having more straight stocked versions. It really doesn't matter all that much to me, I like both styles. Right now it goes three with PGs & five straight.

I see this is an old post so....
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  17. pricedo

pricedo Member

Then again I have a Pedersoli 86/71 with a pistol grip which I like very much.

Winchester has a new Miroku built M71 in the original .348 Winchester caliber which I would buy except the new 71s are all dolled up with lawyers tang safeties & rebounding hammers and other unnecessary stuff that weren't on the originals and they are over $1400 NIB:eek:.

Winchester says it's the lawyers in their legal department that are telling them to do clutter their guns with safety junk.

Funny Winchester has been reduced to a rump company and yet they still retain the old Oliver Winchester arrogance and haven't grasped that the customer is always right after all these years.

Well the Winchester lawyers can buy the saftied up their ying yang guns and I bought a 71 from an Italian maker which would sell me what I wanted.......the beautiful Pedersoli Model 86/71 in .45-70 GVT.