Pistol Night Sights

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by dcriner, Aug 1, 2012.

1. dcriner

dcriner Member

My Kimber 1911 came with Meprolight sights that are illuminated by the radioactive decay of tritium, an isotope of hydrogen. (Trijicon sights work the same way.)

Tritium has a half-life of 12.3 years, after which time half the original tritium would be depleted. I called Kimber to verify that. The Meprolight sights are guaranteed for illumination level for 12 years, conincidentally the same as tritium's half-life. At some point, the illumination would become low enough to require replacing the sights (or to just use them as non-illuminated, open sights). (Trijicon sights are also warranted for 12 years.)

At my advanced age, there is a pretty good chance that my pistol sights will outlive me.
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I think meprolights will go on my new Glock, they are supposed to be brighter than anything else.

my trijicons/novak on my TRP are easily 10 years old and they are still bright as can be.
  3. dcriner

dcriner Member

I like my Meprolight sights, but I don't do a lot of night shooting. Even in the daylight they help, and are better than just white dots painted on the sights.

I wonder what sights the Navy Seals used when they took down you-know-who. It was a nighttime operation, so I'm sure they used illuminated sights.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

They're probably good enough that they don't need to use the sights.
  5. A square 10

A square 10 New Member

i have had my ACOG for a long time now , so i supose i shall see those depleted , those on my 1911 are newer but not all that much , im half way there , i have not needed them yet , and i do have crimson trace grip scales so ill probably not replace them
  6. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Most of my newer gun purchases have night sights including my 1911.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

they look good, do u guys put them on or have a gun shop do it?
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Though your math is correct, its an abusive ride on top of a slide. Many night sights dont make it that long.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  9. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

I'm not mechanical. JLA did an install on my 1911 and I am sending a Beretta for a similar installation.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

depends on the gun but if you can have a shop do it, I'd just go that route if they know what they are doing. It's generally not hard at all but if someone will do the work for free, then why not?

Glocks are super easy, 1911's with dovetail sights are are not bad, GI spec you will need some more tools but still not too hard.
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Beth some guns aren't too bad as previously stated. Glocks are easy. 1911's depend on the cut. Kimbers aren't too bad, Wilson fronts are a real pain bc there is no flat surface on the base to use the pusher on. Never use the sight blade as a push connection. If someone is pushing sights for you and they are using the blade to take all the pressure to get it on, hope they have another set of sights for you in stock bc they will either break off or bend. XD and XDm are a real pain to remove factory sights. beretta's problem is their designs don't allow for good clamping surface in the pusher. Kahr arms aren't bad as long as you know what way to push them. M&P are easy except the firing pin safety spring cap is a pain to deal with. Keltec sights are plastic so they go in easy but they will loose surface tension if you have to remove them and put them back in so you only have one chance.
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I'm taking my new RIA 1911 A2 Hi cap to a gun smith next week. He's going to machine dovetails front and rear for Novak (his recommendation) and install night sights. I'm trusting his judgement on what kind. I can't wait to get it back after he's done.
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Its a good choice but also trijicon night sights for GI 1911's will fit. They use a narrow tenion front