pistol question!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rosierita, Sep 13, 2004.

1. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

okay ~ i'm a lightweight when it comes to guns. :D i'm in the process now of shopping for a pistol to carry. we were supposed to take the class for CCW this coming thursday, but i think we'll have to wait til later. :rolleyes: (kids are in soccer 6 days a wk!) anyhoo ~ i was looking at a revolver, 38 special, but troy doesnt like the idea of my having a revolver bc there is no safety. the one the guy at the shop says i should buy doesnt have a hammer. what kinda recoil does this gun have? & are there any other suggestions you can make? i dont really like the semi autos w/ a clip, i worry that it would get locked while trying to get a bullet in the chamber & if someone was coming at me, i dont want to take that kinda chance.... anyhoo ~ i'm open for suggestions. this revovler was nice, not too big, felt comfortable in my hand & the trigger wasnt as hard to pull as i thought it would be (maybe that's not a good thing! :confused: ) my main concern is recoil, i dont want more than i can handle. thanks for all of your suggestions!! :D
  2. AlleninAlaska

AlleninAlaska New Member

Kel-Tec P3AT in 380 ACP or a Ruger SP100 in 357 Magnum/38 Special.
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

What gun you carry, as well as the amount of recoil you can handle is a matter of personal taste. My wife, who is not very big (110 lbs.) can handle most caliber pistols. She can shoot my 45 (accurately) but prefers something a little smaller. She liked the 38 and 9mm, but wanted a little more kick, so she settled on a 40. (semi-auto pistol) She carried a Ruger SP-101 for quite a while.

A lot of people feel as you do about the semi-autos. They can be intimidating to some, where a revolver is much easier to get used to. With no exposed hammer to catch on anything, and as long as you have an adequate holster/cover (to cover the trigger) a revolver is relatively safe, and a good choice for some. It has no safeties that you have to take off, no slide to pull back, to put a bullet in (if you do not carry semi-auto cocked and locked) you do not have to worry about keeping your hand “out of the way” it just functions.

In “most” situations where you have to actually pull your gun, the 5-6 rounds in a revolver would probably be enough. Most gun battles are over in 2-3 rounds. The chances of you getting in a “run & gun” battle, where you would have to change mags, would be extremely rare.
  4. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

do ya have a pic allen? :D

one thing that keeps going thru my mind is ~ about 3 yrs ago, a guy was at a shooter's choice here, shooting a 50 caliber semiauto handgun. he wasnt expecting a big recoil (i dont know squat about what that would be like) & the gun recoiled after firing & when it came back, he shot himself in the head! :eek: (i do not know the circumstances outside of what i just stated & i believe this was assumed, for all i know they guy just got careless.) not knowing what to expect (i've always shot a 22 rifle)...... i dont want to blow my head off! (or hurt anyone else!) i'm comfy w/ my 22 rifle, all this other will be new to me.

:confused: i guess, in relation to a 22 rifle, what kinda recoil do these guns have??

w/ the revolvers, i'm kinda leaning more toward the 1 w/ the hammer i think, but that's just for starters! :D i'll more than likely end up w/ more than 1. :p :D
  5. punchie

punchie Member

Rosie
    Karen's (Swwbo) preffered carry piece is a S&W 649 snubbie in 357 but her carry load is 38 +P. All stainless gun that is not particularily light but it has a shrouded hammer so she can shoot it double or single action. Remember the smaller and lighter the gun, the more recoil and more difficult to shoot accurately. Doesn't matter if it is a revolver or auto.

Tell Troy not to worry about the lack of an external safety. ANY gun is only as safe as the operator and you simply cannot beat the reliability of a revolver. The original "point and click" interface.

Karen carries hers in a conceal purse that you would never know carried a gun. A number of leather companies make these and are just about ideal for most ladies. Any number of different styles and colors.
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

SoMo's carry is a Springfield Ultra Compact .45ACP, a small version of the 1911A1. She also handles it well in shooting. She is small, also. Her prior carry gun was a hammerless .38 Special snub nose which shoots very well with very little recoil.

I think that it is truly a matter of personal preference and an intelligent decision should be reached after holding and trying several different kinds and calibres. It took SoMo over a year but when she saw the Ultra Compact she just wanted it. She had shot my 9mm Browning Hi Power over that year, along with my full size .45. She has had no problem with the recoil. The only one she shot that gave her a problem was my .44 magnum due to her small hands.

Don't be in a hurry to decide and, if you need something quickly, start with a .38/,357 wheel gun of your choice and then continuing trying them until you find one that you feel you just/must have.
  7. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I still carry the .38spl revolver at times, depending on the situation. It is "hammerless" and small enough to slip into a jeans pocket. The DAO trigger is a bear, but I just haven't gotten around to getting a trigger job yet.

If you are worried about racking the slide on a pistol, there are a couple of Beretta models where the barrel tips up to insert the first round. My sister in law has one of these and really likes it.

Attached Files:

8. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

As far as recoil, my snubbie has more recoil than my 1911, so don't automatically assume that a bigger caliber will have more kick. There will definitely be more recoil than your .22, but it's nothing you can't handle, I promise you. ;)
  9. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Rosie, take a close look at the Kahr semiautomatics. No safety to worry with, same as a revolver. Carry one in the chamber. Double action trigger, a really nice gun. Get one in 9mm. They will fit a womans hand quite nicely.
  10. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:) thanks for all of this info ya'll! i'll probably have to read it over & over.... in fact, i may just copy off this thread. :D

i dunno how good this is, but the shop i went to had a good sized collection... i felt like a kid in the candy store. :D the part of me that has no sense was saying "i'll take one of these, one of those, one of these, & that one too.... oh yeah, & that one, & that one & that one...." :D

i went in there looking for a jr rifle for the kids for christmas... heehee! :D
  11. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

You should "REWARD" yourself for being a good wife and an excellent mother. I'm sure the other half will understand. You may also use: But honey I really needed it :D :D :cool:
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

You've got the makin's of a true gun person with the insatiable desire.....

The syndrome is characterized by, "I need one EACH of all of those." In addition, you live and breath the fact that too many guns actually is the number in the gun cabinet/safe plus about a dozen more!!!!!!! :D
  13. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:D heehee. we're still renovating our house.... :rolleyes: but! we're making some more positive changes in what we had originally planned. (the list keeps growing :D ) anyhoo ~ one of the "additions" to the addition/ renovation. will be a good sized gun safe in our closet!! :D i had my cousin build troy a gun cabinet for christmas last yr too! (holds 10 rifles/ shotguns.) :D ya know we enjoy firearms, if we're going to decorate our bedroom to match a gun cabinet! :eek: :D we've always liked firearms & always wanted an array of them, we're just now getting into the position (in the next yr or 2) to pursue our "hobby". ;)
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

Rosierita, So Mo said a bit there that you need to consider; the weight vs caliber/ energy ratio.
    My "perfect carry gun" would have the power of a .45 acp, and the recoil of a .22 LR. It would weigh less than 10 ounces, with 6 rounds aboard. And, it can't be built. So I compromise.
    A +P .38 Spl, with a 125gr bullet, is, even in a 2" revolver, an EXCEPTIONAL stopper.
    S&W are building several 5-shot, 2", revolvers, in their Scandium and Ti-Lite lines, which are less than 12 ounces- the trigger lock they send with the revolver weighs more than the gun!
    I find this little revolver in my coat pocket many times more than any other, sometimes when I don't even expect to! So much for ease of carry/ concealment- it even hides from me!
    Recoil is a relative, learnable thing. These little wheel guns have a sharp snap to them, with full throttle loads, but they are not in any way painful; the more you shoot, the less it is an issue.
    Call upon your friends for the "loan" of a similar weapon, to the type you are considering, and shoot before buying. It will save you a bunch of bucks!
  15. offeror

offeror New Member

I always figure an 8-12 pound trigger pull IS the safety on a gun. The only other thing I suppose you might need a safety for is to prevent someone from just picking up the gun and firing it, but a safety isn't that tough to figure out and an empty chamber on a semi-auto can serve a similar purpose, to prevent instant firing by someone ignorant of guns.

I like the new semi-auto LDAs and variable trigger connector springs because you can decide how much trigger pull is safe, without a safety lever. You can get an 8 pound pull on a (hammerless) Glock, and 9 pound pull on a Millenium, or a 10 pound pull on some revolvers (and DAO semiautos) these days that will all give sufficient resistance to prevent an AD with proper education. The 8 pound Glock trigger is the New York trigger requested by the NYPD for safety purposes on their duty Glocks. I think it's easy to pull for accuracy while providing plenty of "road feel" on the take-up. As for recoil, that of the standard .38 and the 9mm are about the same whether you're talking traditional or hi-vel loads in both. I personally find semi-autos to kick less with the same ballistics since the slide absorbs some of the recoil and the slide is often closer to the palm, causing less muzzle flip than in some revolvers.

Besides, for storage in a home with kids or guests, a gun lock or safe is more appropriate than a safety lever.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  16. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

If you don't put your finger on the trigger until you intend to pull it, trigger pull makes no difference unless it is so high it causes you to pull off target! If so, then shame on you.