Pistol Range

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Sep 1, 2010.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

This has been bugging me for awhile now. I was hoping some of you ex military, particularly former Marines might help refresh my memory. For some strange reason I have this vague memory of the pistol range we qualified on in the Corps. I remember it being called a 900 inch range.

That just doesn't make sense to me and I'm wondering if I dreamed it. 900 inches is 75 ft. Seems a bit long to qualify with a .45. Not only that, why would they use inches and not feet or yards. But I could swear that's what they called it.

Can anyone help?
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Don't think it was a dream. It was well over 50 years ago but I fired the .30 Carbine on just such a range because that was what was available at the time. It was the pistol range and was referred to in "inches" also. Why they didn't call it a 25 yard range I have no idea but then why did the military call lots of things by something other than what may have seemed the obvious.

I didn't get instruction on the 1911 back then and it is still obvious today. :D
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Glad I didn't just dream it. It's getting harder to tell these days.:D It's been 44 years for me.
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know the feeling so well......
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Was the KDR 900 yards? That might be the reason - 900 yard rifle range and 900 inch pistol range.

Just remember, above everything else, the military is weird. After all, who else would close their pants with an "interlocking slide fastener"?
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
  7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The Army was ridiculously close, like 7 yards for pistol qualification on a man-sized silhouette target. For the old worn-out .38's and .45's we had that was probably a good idea though. :)
  8. zb338

zb338 New Member

It's been a long time, but the Army shot the 100 inch range.
    That was the range that you could sight an M-1 rifle in for
    and be set up with your battle sights. Much as you would
    set up your deer rifle today. It would be a good start and you
    would be at least on the paper for the other ranges. That's my
    recall. As I said, It's been a while. I was on a post pistol team
    and all our pistol shooting was at 25 yards.
    Zeke
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

OK...Then that would be 900 inches, so that makes sense. But why call it 900 inch and not 25 yards?
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

11. zb338

zb338 New Member

When I shot on the pistol team back in the 50's all the
    shooting was done on what they then called the Army L.
    It was the same target as the Police L. I believe the
    Marines shot on this target as well. http://americantargetcompany.com/pistol_targets.asp

Zeke
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It was the thousand inch (27 yard) range used for M1 rifles where there was not enough range area for a full range or for initial training before firing at longer distances. The short range also had the advantage that the shooter could see the bullet holes.

Due to the trajectory of the .30 Ball, a rifle sighted in at 27 yards would be on target again at 100 yards. The short range zero caught the bullet as it was rising above the line of sight, at the longer range it would be on the way down.

Jim
  13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The thousand inch range was used in basic at Ft. Leonard Wood {1959}. Mo. I remember very well because they made me shoot twice { Standing position, M-1 }, I got lucky and put 3 bullets in one hole and they thought I missed the target altogether with one bullet. I had to shoot again to prove the point. The second time they were touching in a nice clover leaf. Even at that young age I was careful not to laugh out loud where the drill could see me. We had already been to the regular range several times, I believe it was in the 6Th or 7ND week. Does anyone who's been to FT Leonard Wood remember a road with a long sloping hill called A. P. Hill ( yes named after the General ) . That hill was pure hell to reach the top with full gear, but I don't remember if that was the actual name.:D
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010