Pistol / Rifle cartridges

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rvance, Nov 19, 2003.

1. rvance

rvance New Member

1.)What is the rule of thumb for reloading Pistol cartridges for use in a rifle? IE.. .41 mag
    2.) Does any ammo manufacturer sell pistol caliber cartridges for shooting in a rifle barrel?

I plan to start reloading this winter after hunting season and have several rifles that are pistol caliber, and I was hoping for a start in the right direction.
    Thank You all for your help,
    RVance
  2. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Holding up my thumb...and it says "what are you loading for?

I usually go with a slower buring powder as it will have more time to burn and recoil is less a concern. I load 357 with Win 296 and get high speed. When I shoot my handgun loads it is faster than in the handgun but not much. I get almost 400FPS faster out the long gun using slow powder.

Hope that helps.

Smoky
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Use loads listed for Ruger and T/C ONLY! These are strong actions and can take the pressures of modern rounds. As a rule, I use only 4 powders for the 41, 44 and 45 Colt weapons I own. They are WW296, H110, AA#9 and 2400, in that order of preference. Bullet choice would be a matter of what you want the rifle to do and what are you hunting. Up to deer size game I would reccomend the Hornady SXT or the Nosler bullets. Anything bigger and you will want penetration. For this I would recommend a Super Hard Cast gas checked bullet. I would not shoot pure lead bullets in a rifle when velocity is your objective. Always use a GC and keep leading out of the picture. There are many bullet makers out there that make them.

The major ammunition makers would not do this due to liability. Someone would surely use a rifle load in a pistol and try to kill themselves and then blame the manufacturer. Just look at 45 Colt ammo. It is loaded to very low pressures due to the fact that they have to take into account even the original 45 Colt SAA pistols.

Now, there are custom ammo makers out there that make high pressure ammo. Use the google search at the bottom of this page and you will find many. Corbon and Buffalo Bullets are a couple. However, remember that the 41 mag has a loyal, but small following. You might not find it for the 41. I know Garret makes 310 gr loads for the 44 mag, but nothing for the 41 Mag.
  4. rvance

rvance New Member

Two thumbs

Hunting and paper punching. I get just as much satisfaction shooting a cloverleaf group on a target as I do harvesting a wild animal.

Thanks for your qualified input.

rvance
  5. rvance

rvance New Member

inplanotx

inplanotx,

Thanks for your resonse to my question. I have found that the heavier loads seem to produce good results from the bench.
    Hopefully I can develope some loads that make the A+ grade in .41 mag & .357 mag chambering.
    Thanks again,
    rvance
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Does Buffalo Bore make anything for the .41? You're right that Garrett doesn't
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Buffalo Bore makes three rounds for the 41 mag.

Buffalo Bore