Pistol Scopes

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by thomas44, Sep 15, 2010.

1. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I am considering mounting a scope on my Ruger SBH Hunter in .41 Magnum. Any recommendations on a model under $200 ? Any experiences positive or negative using a pistol with optics ? Would a red dot possibly be a better option ? Just kicking around the idea....obviously. Oh, I saw a Millett Buck Silver 2x for about $60 or so brand new. Anyone have any experience with this particular scope ?
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

If you plan on using your Ruger for big game hunting, I would not go any higher than 3x. 2x would be my choice. The field of vision on a pistol scope is very limited. One advantage that a red dot has is a larger field of vision.

It has always been my belief that you don't wear out a scope by looking through it, so I don't mind buying a used scope in good condition. You can find a quality pistol scope (Leupold, maybe) for under $200 if you buy used.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

thomas44:

Pistol scopes of any power other than 1x are hard to use because it is so hard to hold the gun steady enough to find the target. But it really depends on what you intend to do with the gun. Hunting ... scopes are OK if you can rest the gun on something. Off hand shooting ... tough to do as your shakes make the scope hard to use.

Red Dots give you a effective longer sight radius if they are the longer tube type and not the short open frame type. You will instantly see that you shake a lot more than you ever thought. But Red Dots allow you to keep both eyes open (retain 3D vision) with a red dot hanging in space over the target. They instantly reduce group sizes significantly over metal sights due to more precision sighting possibilities.

Cheapy Red Dots are a waste as they eventually fail due to the beating they take from the recoil of the gun. The best Red Dot for the least money, in my opinion, is the UltraDot (Larry's Guns) entry level one inch tube type with NO selectable reticules (dot size and patterns). The selectable reticules add complexity and all choices may not be aligned to each other making re-zeroing with reticule changes a possibility for precision shooting at longer distances (?).

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Ultra-Dot-1-Black__UD1B.aspx

While used scope loose nothing from looking through them, they take a beating from the gun they reside on before you buy them. Reticules get broken, lens elements loosen up, and the zeroing adjustments break. There is no free lunch with used scopes. They are a gamble as much as anything else in the used gun market place.

This is, of course, only my opinion based on my many years of shooting and your opinion may vary. For example, I have bought a 2x pistol scopes and found it unusable, and I have bought cheapy Red Dots and had them break, and I have several Ultra Dots that work very well indeed, and I have had scopes break from recoil.

LDBennett
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

millets are good, but i would recommend a red dot. I bought a 30mm millet reddot scope for a hundred bucks and it comes with the rings. All you need is a base on your revolver.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I put a Bushnell Trophy 2-6 X32 on my Hunter .44. It was well under $200.00. My nephew can hit anything with it and I cant hit the berm. I cant hold it still long enough to hit the broad side of a mountain.:( Getting old.

Attached Files:

6. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Well, I think I am going with a Weaver 2X. I've read really good reviews from others who've purchased this scope at midway. Thanks for the input. At some point in time I may try a red dot on my Buckmark.
  7. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Well, I put the Weaver 2X on my .41 mag SBH. Took it to the range and shot it, and the scope is fine, nice and clear, but I think for hunting and quick sighting I'd prefer open sights. I may still try it for whitetail hunting this season. Thanks again for everyones input.