Pistol selection help...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by GaryO, Dec 28, 2005.

1. GaryO

GaryO New Member

My daughter is looking for a pistol with the following requirements; 9mm, lightweight polymer frame, minimum 4” barrel length, moderate size grip frame, DA/SA trigger type, no Glock-type triggers. No revolvers. Any suggestions?
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

First the usual advice of trying out EVERYTHING you can, and finding one that “fits” her.

After looking for 6 months, my wife chose a Walther P-99. A “real” Walther, not the S&W version. 3 different size grips to fit different sized hands. Different kinds of triggers, investigate to see which one she wants, because they can NOT be changed after you buy the gun. Different models to choose from, DA, SA, etc.

P.S. In case I missed it.
    Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  3. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Does Para make the LDA in 9mm with the poly frame?

I was thinking that SIG made one too.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for me I have small hands (does it go with other things-I'll never tell). I "manage" to use all sizes of guns but none fit me better than a CZ75B. The first time I picked one up it was like being home. This is in reference to handle size. What about double action trigger reach? CZ's have a pretty long double action reach but the single action reach is excellent. I only shoot single action so it makes no difference to me.

I once helped a lady friend pick out a defense gun. The gun she found fit her best was the lady S&W revolvers. Is it more important that the gun feel right or be a semi-auto? You decide.

LDBennett
  5. RoninPA

RoninPA New Member

What about the Springfield XD's or Taurus 24/7's?
  6. user_error

user_error New Member

Any reason you need at least a 4" barrel? My wife went with the Steyr S9. It's a good poly frame, fairly inexpensive (we got ours for 338 plus tax new at a gun sale) and shoots very accurately, for a 3.5 inch barrel.
  7. offeror

offeror New Member

I'd concur that for light weight and reasonable grip size and DA/SA action, the XD would be one to look at.

I always have liked the newer guns with the light DA triggers -- like the 8-lb. NY trigger on the glock 19 or 26, and others. Safe enough for pocket or holstered purse carry, yet not too tough a DA trigger pull for small females or wounded extremities. I just don't like a 12-lb pull on my guns, and don't recommend them for my female friends.

Once you start considering a 7-8.5 lb. pull on a striker-fired gun as an option, you have the Glock, the Taurus Millenniums, and the Kahr with the polymer frame to look at as well, whether there is a safety lever or not. Barrel lengths between 3.5" and 4.5" will probably get her close enough to where she wants to be.

Frankly, I prefer a gun without a safety lever for idiot-proofing and quickness into action -- keep in mind that revolvers never needed safety levers much. I put the modern 8-lb. pull guns in that category, as long as one learns proper gun handling habits, like holsters which cover the trigger guard and so on.

Excuse me if I'm way off base.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  8. For what it might be worth, Gary, I recently bought one of the Taurus Millennium Pro PT-745s. It's in .45, of course, not 9mm, and it has a 3.5 inch barrel instead of a 4 inch, but I really like the lightness of its DA trigger (about 7.5 lbs) and the slender grip that fits my hand extremely well. Might be worth at least checking out if your daughter is not overly concerned about carrying a larger caliber weapon. Believe it or not, the recoil is not bad at all on this piece despite its more powerful cartridge. My daughter (5' 2" and 100 lbs) doesn't find it difficult to shoot.
  9. flopshot

flopshot New Member

why no revolvers? can't think of an easier, safer handgun. leave one chamber empty, no drop problems, pull trigger to shoot. bought one for my aunt and my mom with no hesitations. both end users were very comfortable with the weapons.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  10. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

My Sig P232 is suprisingly accurate for a 3.6 in. barrel. Although it is a .380 not 9mm. It is very light weight. I carry it almost every day. No complaints.
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

The Model 39 S&W will meet all criteria except the polymer lower end, and will out shoot, in any form, most of the competition.They build guns for all occasions, so, sort thru their catalogue, and decide. Terry
  12. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

the taurus 24/7 is not bad (i have the pt24/7 pro in .40cal...and love it!!), but just big in the grip, mine is a hicap... not wide...but long in the fingers area
  13. cec

cec New Member

My first pistol was a 9mm Ruger KP95D. That or the P89 should meet your requirements.

Even though I have traded the pistol a few months ago, I found it to be a good "first" pistol. Easy to take apart and put back together.

They also will not break the bank (at least around here). New and used are fairly reasonable.

As pickenup said, try to test as many as possible. You never know how it will perform until you fire it.
  14. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Kel-Tec P-11 is the first thing that comes to my mind.
  15. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

cz , springfield xd, taurus, sW m&p model, but i must say i likey the cz best, very smooth , and i like the exposed hammer.