1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

pistol selection questions...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by tbaum, Feb 23, 2009.

1. tbaum

tbaum New Member

I am looking to get a small caliber pistol for varmint control in a residential setting. To that end, I plan on getting a silencer for the pistol.

I would “like” a .17 caliber, semi-auto pistol if it is possible to get a commercially available .17 round in sub-sonic. I do not know if that is possible. I would use the pistil with standard rounds most of the time and only use the sib-sonic rounds for animal control.

I have been unable to local any sub-sonic .17 cal. (HMR family) and so am looking for the groups advice and opinion on this.

I “could” settle for a Browning Buck Mark in .22 but like I said, would rather have a .17. My questions are; is there a .17 sub-sonic round available? If so, what pistols do you use with it? If .17 sub-sonic is out of the question, what is the opinion of the Browning Buck Mark for use with a silencer? Any other related thoughts? Thank you all.
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I would buy an air rifle and not worry about a silencer.
  3. tbaum

tbaum New Member

Well... I also want a silencer (while I can still get one).
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The whole purpose, as I understand it, of the 17 rimfires was to have a small extremely fast (I think they come close to mach 2) rimfire that would work in a 22LR or 22 Magnum size gun. It would defeat the purpose to slow down to below the speed of sound.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Do they even make a 17 rimfire automatic pistol? I know Ruger had their Single Six, and I think Taurus made one, but they are revolvers.
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

Because of the light weight of a 17 caliber bullet it would next to worthless at sub sonic velocities which is about 1,125 fps and I am sure that no one makes sub sonic 17 Mac II ammo much less 17 HMR.
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

Alpo: I think both Kimber and Ruger makes a 17 Mac II in their autoloading pistols but not in 17 HMR.
  8. tbaum

tbaum New Member

Alpo, I would use standard rounds most of the time and only use the sub-sonics in the yard with the silencer. If a sub-sonic does not exist, so be it, case closed...

Excel makes a model MP-17 .17 HMR semi-automatic pistol. There is at least one more that I have come across. Again, I would usually used the pistol un-silenced with standard rounds and reserve the subs for close in work so power would not be as much of an issue. All I need is enough power to take down a racoon or dillo.
  9. tbaum

tbaum New Member

So, for my specific set of needs/wants, would this be the best answer?

I am looking for a small cal. semi-auto pistol that can fire sub-sonic rounds and be fitted with a suppressor to be used for both target practice/blanking and varment control in a residential area (hence the suppressor) as well as wanting to get a suppressor while they are still legal to get.

http://consumermaven.wordpress.com/...k-mark-22-with-gemtech-outback-ii-suppressor/

A Browning Buck Mark .22 with Gemtech Outback-II Suppressor (or similar suppressor).

Any other suggestions? Thanks much.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't understand what you mean by "blanking". Are you sure that shooting varmints with a suppressed gun is legal in your state? It ain't here in Florida.

And, yes, if you want a small caliber semi-auto pistol that can fire subsonic rounds and be fitted with a silencer, you want either a 22LR or a 25ACP. A 22 would be the better choice.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Wow - $500 seems like an awful lot of money to spend just to shoot varmints on the Q T.

If you are going to buy a suppressor, why not get one for a larger caliber weapon?
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know. Mine did come with a gun attached to it (integral), but it was close to 900 dollars. Why spend all that money on a gun if you only shoot it once in a while because the ammo's expensive?
  13. tbaum

tbaum New Member

Sorry bad typing, I meant "planking" also I have been Googling my butt off and can not find any Florida laws or statues that discuss limitations on what you can do with a legal silencer. Can you point me to any source where you got the information that you can not shoot varmints with a suppressed gun in Florida? If there are any restrictions on use I want to know it early. Thanks much!
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on your definition of "shooting varmints". If there is a rabbit in my garden, or a possum in my garage, or a coon in my attic, I'd shoot it. Not worry about the laws - shoot, shovel and shut up.

On the other hand, if I go out at night hunting coon or possum, or go out after rabbit, they are still varmints, but that's hunting, and you have to obey the hunting regs.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/pdf/08-09HuntingRegulationsHandbook.pdf

You want page 16. Prohibited methods of taking game. Fully automatic or silencer equipped firearms.

I think you are still doing bad typing. You mean, maybe, "plinking"?