pistol selection questions...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by tbaum, Feb 23, 2009.

1. tbaum

tbaum New Member

I am looking to get a small caliber pistol for varmint control in a residential setting. To that end, I plan on getting a silencer for the pistol.

I would “like” a .17 caliber, semi-auto pistol if it is possible to get a commercially available .17 round in sub-sonic. I do not know if that is possible. I would use the pistil with standard rounds most of the time and only use the sib-sonic rounds for animal control.

I have been unable to local any sub-sonic .17 cal. (HMR family) and so am looking for the groups advice and opinion on this.

I “could” settle for a Browning Buck Mark in .22 but like I said, would rather have a .17. My questions are; is there a .17 sub-sonic round available? If so, what pistols do you use with it? If .17 sub-sonic is out of the question, what is the opinion of the Browning Buck Mark for use with a silencer? Any other related thoughts? Thank you all.
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I would buy an air rifle and not worry about a silencer.
  3. tbaum

tbaum New Member

Well... I also want a silencer (while I can still get one).
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The whole purpose, as I understand it, of the 17 rimfires was to have a small extremely fast (I think they come close to mach 2) rimfire that would work in a 22LR or 22 Magnum size gun. It would defeat the purpose to slow down to below the speed of sound.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Do they even make a 17 rimfire automatic pistol? I know Ruger had their Single Six, and I think Taurus made one, but they are revolvers.
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

Because of the light weight of a 17 caliber bullet it would next to worthless at sub sonic velocities which is about 1,125 fps and I am sure that no one makes sub sonic 17 Mac II ammo much less 17 HMR.
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

Alpo: I think both Kimber and Ruger makes a 17 Mac II in their autoloading pistols but not in 17 HMR.
  8. tbaum

tbaum New Member

Alpo, I would use standard rounds most of the time and only use the sub-sonics in the yard with the silencer. If a sub-sonic does not exist, so be it, case closed...

Excel makes a model MP-17 .17 HMR semi-automatic pistol. There is at least one more that I have come across. Again, I would usually used the pistol un-silenced with standard rounds and reserve the subs for close in work so power would not be as much of an issue. All I need is enough power to take down a racoon or dillo.
  9. tbaum

tbaum New Member

So, for my specific set of needs/wants, would this be the best answer?

I am looking for a small cal. semi-auto pistol that can fire sub-sonic rounds and be fitted with a suppressor to be used for both target practice/blanking and varment control in a residential area (hence the suppressor) as well as wanting to get a suppressor while they are still legal to get.

http://consumermaven.wordpress.com/...k-mark-22-with-gemtech-outback-ii-suppressor/

A Browning Buck Mark .22 with Gemtech Outback-II Suppressor (or similar suppressor).

Any other suggestions? Thanks much.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't understand what you mean by "blanking". Are you sure that shooting varmints with a suppressed gun is legal in your state? It ain't here in Florida.

And, yes, if you want a small caliber semi-auto pistol that can fire subsonic rounds and be fitted with a silencer, you want either a 22LR or a 25ACP. A 22 would be the better choice.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Wow - $500 seems like an awful lot of money to spend just to shoot varmints on the Q T.

If you are going to buy a suppressor, why not get one for a larger caliber weapon?
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know. Mine did come with a gun attached to it (integral), but it was close to 900 dollars. Why spend all that money on a gun if you only shoot it once in a while because the ammo's expensive?
  13. tbaum

tbaum New Member

Sorry bad typing, I meant "planking" also I have been Googling my butt off and can not find any Florida laws or statues that discuss limitations on what you can do with a legal silencer. Can you point me to any source where you got the information that you can not shoot varmints with a suppressed gun in Florida? If there are any restrictions on use I want to know it early. Thanks much!
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on your definition of "shooting varmints". If there is a rabbit in my garden, or a possum in my garage, or a coon in my attic, I'd shoot it. Not worry about the laws - shoot, shovel and shut up.

On the other hand, if I go out at night hunting coon or possum, or go out after rabbit, they are still varmints, but that's hunting, and you have to obey the hunting regs.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/pdf/08-09HuntingRegulationsHandbook.pdf

You want page 16. Prohibited methods of taking game. Fully automatic or silencer equipped firearms.

I think you are still doing bad typing. You mean, maybe, "plinking"?