The Firearms Forum banner

Pistol size for home defense?

4K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
What is the ideal size handgun for home defense? I understand a compact, or even sub-compact is necessary for concealed carry, but what about the pistol at your bed side? Would a full size pistol be preferred? I'm having trouble understanding what pistols are best in certain situations. I have little handgun experience... I noly shot a few .22s, a 9mm and .45. :confused:

#2 ·
I am no professional, but this is my opinion.

The pistol that you are most familiar with and can shoot and handle efficiently will be your best bet.

If you are in a panic or high adrenaline situation you want your actions to be automatic and simple, if you don't get the safety off or a round chambered the handgun will do you absolutely no good.

#3 · (Edited)
My vote is also for what you shoot best, but there are limits that you must face, the pistol being the least powerful of all guns. I perfer a 12ga shotgun for home defence, but there is a pistol by my bed, and it's a .45. Yes, the adrenaline will be flowing, you may have tunnel vision, you will probably lose your fine motor skills, and your hearing will deminish! Do you really want a small hand gun with a short sight radius as your primary SD handgun? One that has been proven to not be all that accurate, and is not a one shot stopper? And remember, you may have to shoot thru a wall!

#6 ·
Big bullets make big holes!

#7 · (Edited)
Yes, the adrenaline will be flowing, you may have tunnel vision, you will probably lose your fine motor skills, and your hearing will deminish!
I don't totally agree with this, except in the case where it's a persons first rodeo. Training and experience (military/combat ) can and usually does make a big difference in firefight discipline in my experience. And you often read reports of this in the news. Been several recently in fact involving vets (military/leo) who's training, etc. allowed them to overcome what you mention.

Similar to 'buck fever' in a first time hunt.

#8 ·
ditto what RC said.

I'm no expert.. and whatever gun you are familiar with is a good one.

the wife and I have a good selection of guns.. but we each have a 38spl by the side of our bed. hard to jamb, adn ya got 5 shots each to make it count.

no safety to dink with.. no slide to work.. etc.

mind you i do have a couple backup guns / shotgun at arms reach if the 38 snubs don't quell the tide of invaders running thru the choke point / kill zone at my bedroom door.. but the revolver is my first go-to gun.

#9 ·
I don't totally agree with this, except in the case where it's a persons first rodeo. Training and experience (military/combat ) can and usually does make a big difference in firefight discipline in my experience. And you often read reports of this in the news. Been several recently in fact involving vets (military/leo) who's training, etc. allowed them to overcome what you mention.

Similar to 'buck fever' in a first time hunt.
I understand what you are saying. Proper, and I do mean proper, training will allow one to over come most of these problems. The thing is that most of us have never been in combat of any kind. For us proper training is a must, and most of us just haven't had that either!

#12 ·
If you mean size as in "22 vs. 45", I'd say the biggest you can shoot comfortably and accurately. Since I started keeping a gun by the bed, low these many years, the gun itself has changed often, but the caliber usually started with a 4.

If you mean physical size of the gun, bigger is usually better.

A bigger gun, if you can grip it correctly (since, as the gun gets larger, the grip normally gets larger, and some folks have small hands) has many advantages. It is heavier, so has less recoil. It has a longer barrel, which makes for less noise and less muzzle flash. The extra weight of the barrel hanging out in space will usually improve the balance, making it easier to shot and to hit.

Then you got the bad side. If you are "house cleaning", the longer the barrel, the more gun comes through a door first. If the burglar is both smart and brave, he can stand off to the side of the doorway, and as that long steel tube comes through ahead of you, he can grab it and attempt to take it away from you. The longer the barrel, the easier this is to do - leverage. That, by the way, is why I don't recommend shotguns - 18 inches of barrel sticking out in front gives lots of leverage. But even with a pistol, it would be easier for someone to take a 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk out of your hand, than it would a 1 7/8" Chiefs Special.

For those reasons, my bedside gun is usually a 4" large frame double action revolver, in 41, 44 or 45.

#14 ·
When you don't have to worry about concealing it, then a full size pistol or revolver is more accurate and easier to shoot than a snub nose, compact, or pocket gun.

Take a hint from the uniformed law enforcement or military. Full size handguns!

Like in the Willie Nelson song about Pancho and Lefty...."he wore his gun outside his pants, for all the world to see...." :D

#17 ·
If you are "house cleaning", the longer the barrel, the more gun comes through a door first. If the burglar is both smart and brave, he can stand off to the side of the doorway, and as that long steel tube comes through ahead of you, he can grab it and attempt to take it away from you. The longer the barrel, the easier this is to do - leverage. That, by the way, is why I don't recommend shotguns - 18 inches of barrel sticking out in front gives lots of leverage. But even with a pistol, it would be easier for someone to take a 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk out of your hand, than it would a 1 7/8" Chiefs Special.

For those reasons, my bedside gun is usually a 4" large frame double action revolver, in 41, 44 or 45.
I have no problem with your choice of weapon, or the reason behind that choice. I also like the big bullets. Pick up your hand gun, and take your stance. Now look at how far away form your body the muzzle of the gun is. A shotgun with an 18" barrel, and set up properly, or almost any carbine, doesn't stick out any further. Clearing a room is not recomended unless you have been trained. But with the proper training there is no reason why you could not do as well a job with a shotgun, or carbine, as with a pistol. The first half of this video shows proper technique for room clearing by one person, the second half is for two people. Note the room he is creating. A long gun will work with this technique.

#18 ·
I understand what you are saying. Proper, and I do mean proper, training will allow one to over come most of these problems. The thing is that most of us have never been in combat of any kind. For us proper training is a must, and most of us just haven't had that either!
There's a couple things that life time civilians can do tho, that will at least get them on first base. Lot of info on the net: Posted a couple since I've been here - USMC manuals, etc. Also a number of live fire training courses are available in some parts of the country. Kinda pricey tho from what I've heard.

Most people will never in their lives have to deal with a household shootout, statistically speaking, unless they live in certain high threat areas, so it doesn't always make sense to spend a lot of time and money getting advanced training, any more than it makes much sense for the average commuter to get advanced offensive driving training. We all play the odds.

But some backyard/house simulation can be beneficial. I think that's been discussed in previous threads, tho. :)

#19 ·
There's a couple things that life time civilians can do tho, that will at least get them on first base. Lot of info on the net: Posted a couple since I've been here - USMC manuals, etc. Also a number of live fire training courses are available in some parts of the country. Kinda pricey tho from what I've heard.

Most people will never in their lives have to deal with a household shootout, statistically speaking, unless they live in certain high threat areas, so it doesn't always make sense to spend a lot of time and money getting advanced training, any more than it makes much sense for the average commuter to get advanced offensive driving training. We all play the odds.

But some backyard/house simulation can be beneficial. I think that's been discussed in previous threads, tho. :)
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here where I live, I have access to training that is not cost prohibitive. http://www.greensguns.com/training-i-54.html Last I checked they were charging around $65 for each level of training, plus ammo.

#20 ·
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here where I live, I have access to training that is not cost prohibitive. http://www.greensguns.com/training-i-54.html Last I checked they were charging around $65 for each level of training, plus ammo.
Not bad for decent training :). Here's something most people don't think about. Furniture arrangement. A lot of folks arrange their furniture for ease of cleaning, visual appeal, conversation, feng shui, etc., but rarely think about it as potential cover/concealment. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and furniture placement can offer a considerable advantage to the homeowner. Just something to think about. ;)

#22 ·
more important than size of either the caliber or physical size of the gun, as mentioned first off, was whatever you are most comfortable with and shoot most often.

But I will make one addition, put a light on it! makes a world of difference and gives you a huge advantage (for a few moments anyway) plus allows you to much better ID your target. If you hit 'em with the light, don't wait too long to start launching lead as it obviously gives away your position. Pretty hard to shoot at someone pointing a retarded bright light at you in dark conditions, tried it many times with sim rounds and trust me, the light is very effective!

most defensive gun uses are in low light/night conditions, at least have an illuminated front sight and best yet is to have both sights illuminated and a nice undergun light.

the TLR-1 is pretty much the standard these days and there's some smaller ones out there too. Every night when I cliimb into bed, the Glock comes out of it's holster and my light gets put on and tested. Shotgun also has a light on it, if ya break in when I'm home, good luck. ;):D

#24 ·
I start here:

1. Room, walls, neighbors to worry about?

2. What caliber are you best with? Ideal varies with shooter. I like at least .38
but I have a .22LR snubbie and .25 auto as real BUGs only. Shotguns and rifles in another room.

3. Budget, new gun? A Taurus Judge or S&W Governor is great home defence weapon, not super cheap but .410 with 0-0 or .45 ACP.

Maybe go to a range and try out a few. Most people want some kind of real stopping power but go with your best fit for now.

#25 ·
I start here:

1. Room, walls, neighbors to worry about?

2. What caliber are you best with? Ideal varies with shooter. I like at least .38
but I have a .22LR snubbie and .25 auto as real BUGs only. Shotguns and rifles in another room.

3. Budget, new gun? A Taurus Judge or S&W Governor is great home defence weapon, not super cheap but .410 with 0-0 or .45 ACP.

Maybe go to a range and try out a few. Most people want some kind of real stopping power but go with your best fit for now.
I'm a 21 year old that may be moving out int he next few months. Debating whether to get a pistol or shotgun. Budget would be less than $500... I'm not sure I could trust my life with the low end Bersa and Hi Point handguns... might just look for a short barrel 870. I have a LOT of experience with a 28" Remington 1100, been to skeet and trap shooting events, but have never shot a pump. I've only fired a 9mm and .45 a couple dozen times, if that. I saw the Ruger LCP was in my price range but it's a compact pistol... I think a full size frame would be ideal. I can tolerate a .45's recoil, but I wouldn't mind even a .380. Just no rimfires.

#26 ·
The simplest; S&W Model 60 .38. follow up with shotgun when you launch out of bed.
No safety, no slide, just pull the trigger.
There you go!

It is also a handgun the wife can use without any training!!!!!!!!!
The original Point and Click device.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.