pistol suggestions

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by John'sWife, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Am I missing something? I thought the .38 I shot kicked worse than any 9, 40, or 45 I have ever shot?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

could be the 38 kicked harder . what model were you shooting what was the guns weight ? what type of bullet were you firing ? a nice mid range wad cutter in non +p form doesn't kick much from a smith model 10 but the same round in one of those new fangled air weights can feel aggressive
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Hi Mrs. John, I am not going to suggest a gun to you, 358 pretty much said it best. I just wanted to welcome you the The Forum!!
  4. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

My wife is also in the process of getting a hand gun, she was shown the Ruger LCP and liked the gun but was turned off by the lack of safety features on the gun. She is going to try a Bersa Thunder and the walther PPK next and see how she likes them. I do agree that you need to find what is right for you. When I went to the gun shop with her I walked away from the counter because it needs to be something she likes and is comfortable with.
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I think it's best to try as many models as you can. I like a variety of calibers and can handle them fine usually, but my Walther PPK/S is not easy to rack. That little sucker has a tough spring and needs a thorough breaking in, once I can find .380 ammo....

Shop shop shop!
  6. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have part of the group. I to would advise a nice lightweight revlover to start with like this one on the link I posted.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/725327341093.html

I tried to get my wife to go the revolver route, but she insisted on taking my beloved Glock 23 and that I should go get something else.

Good luck with your choice.:D
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

How do we really know that you are indeed johnlives4christ's wife...and not just johnlives4chirst himself....sitting in front of the computer in his wifes underwear having fun yanking our chains.....?? :eek::eek::eek::D:D

Like...hey...it could happen?? :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  8. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

sig mosquito You will need to be very strong if you make this choice. More than likely you will have to beat your attacker with it, it will be an expensive plastic hammer. The .22 caliber is not where to start-ever!!

.380 minimum
  9. miata55

miata55 New Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of gun preferences :D So since everyone else has one - so do I. For a small hand and needing something that won't kick your brains out - has anyone suggested a 9mm revolver to you? Yes they make them (S&W, Taurus) and mine doesn't kick nearly as hard as my Sig P250 9mm, Bersa Compact Pro 9mm, or Bersa Plus .380. And since you won't be practicing as much as a lot of us old gun nuts - a revolver is a definite plus - open purse, hold grip, pull trigger, problem solved. My wife has small hands and her Taurus 9051CH fits very well. Occasionally you can still find a 9051 for sale and Taurus still makes a Model 905 in 9mm. S&W (You know - $$$$$$$) has a Model 60LS . Just a suggestion. But whatever you get - - practice, practice, practice. Ammo is a LOT cheaper than a casket.
  10. John'sWife

John'sWife Former Guest

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are going to a gun show this weekend and I am going to try out a lot of different kinds of guns. I'm not looking for a small pocket pistol, I want something just for at home. I like the feel of a revolver but I like the way semi-autos look. I might try the 9mm revolver, I haven't thought about that yet. I'm really thinking about a 1911 in 9 mm.
  11. John'sWife

John'sWife Former Guest

You can tell I am not Johnlives4Christ because I use capitilazation and punctuation. He couln't fit in my underwear anyways. lol.
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if i had a nickel for every time i thought about doing this.....

you know mike, how do WE know you're not mike's wife setting in front of the computer pretending to be mike whom doesnt have a wife?

~john
  13. artabr

artabr New Member

Now we're having fun. ;) :D :D :D

Art
  14. DBMJR1

DBMJR1 New Member

While at the gun show, try to handle one of Ruger's new 'Light Carry Revolvers', or LCR. If you can find one in .32 caliber, you would have options on what ammunition you used, much in the same way a .357 can shoot .38 special ammunition.

This would give you the ability to practice with less recoil, and load the heavier stuff for shooting intruders.

While nobody can pick a firearm for you, I highly recommend a revolver for a novice. It is simple to operate in a situation where clear thinking might be a luxury.

With you having stated that you have weak hands, I would also be concerned about your ability to clear a misfeed in a semi-automatic handgun. Especially in a panic situation.

If the .32 doesn't float your boat, then I would look at the .357's for the same reasons.

Many will tell you that a .22 is no good for self defense. They are partially correct. In skilled hands, a .22 is very deadly, and the caliber has probably killed more than all others. IN SKILLED HANDS. I say that, because it requires devotion, and practice to be confident enough to place that little bitty round in the brain pan, in a panic situation. If you are not willing to devote that much time, and effort to this, then stay away from the .22 caliber handguns.

These are just my opinions, and I am in no way an expert.

Good luck at the gun show.
  15. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

get out of my head....get out of my head.....get out of my head!!!:rolleyes: