The Firearms Forum banner

pistol suggestions

8K views 67 replies 50 participants last post by  cluznar 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, most of you know "Johnlives4Christ", I am his wife. I'm new to the gun thing and I got on here to see if anyone had suggestions. My situation is I want a self defense pistol but I have really small and weak hands. I can't shoot real big calibers b/c of the recoil. I was thinking about a sig mosquito or a mini revolver for a .22. My husband suggested a 1911 in 9mm. On most semi-automatics that I've tried is was really hard to rack the slide and I can't pull back a double action trigger. I'm looking for a lightweight, easy to operate gun that would get the job done should I ever need it.

thanks,

#27 ·
How do we really know that you are indeed johnlives4christ's wife...and not just johnlives4chirst himself....sitting in front of the computer in his wifes underwear having fun yanking our chains.....?? :eek::eek::eek::D:D

Like...hey...it could happen?? :D:D:D:D

mike
gn
if i had a nickel for every time i thought about doing this.....

you know mike, how do WE know you're not mike's wife setting in front of the computer pretending to be mike whom doesnt have a wife?

~john

#28 ·
Now we're having fun. ;) :D :D :D

Art

#29 ·
While at the gun show, try to handle one of Ruger's new 'Light Carry Revolvers', or LCR. If you can find one in .32 caliber, you would have options on what ammunition you used, much in the same way a .357 can shoot .38 special ammunition.

This would give you the ability to practice with less recoil, and load the heavier stuff for shooting intruders.

While nobody can pick a firearm for you, I highly recommend a revolver for a novice. It is simple to operate in a situation where clear thinking might be a luxury.

With you having stated that you have weak hands, I would also be concerned about your ability to clear a misfeed in a semi-automatic handgun. Especially in a panic situation.

If the .32 doesn't float your boat, then I would look at the .357's for the same reasons.

Many will tell you that a .22 is no good for self defense. They are partially correct. In skilled hands, a .22 is very deadly, and the caliber has probably killed more than all others. IN SKILLED HANDS. I say that, because it requires devotion, and practice to be confident enough to place that little bitty round in the brain pan, in a panic situation. If you are not willing to devote that much time, and effort to this, then stay away from the .22 caliber handguns.

These are just my opinions, and I am in no way an expert.

Good luck at the gun show.

#30 ·

you know mike, how do WE know you're not mike's wife setting in front of the computer pretending to be mike whom doesnt have a wife?

~john
get out of my head....get out of my head.....get out of my head!!!:rolleyes:

#31 ·
My wife is also in the process of getting a hand gun, she was shown the Ruger LCP and liked the gun but was turned off by the lack of safety features on the gun. She is going to try a Bersa Thunder and the walther PPK next and see how she likes them. I do agree that you need to find what is right for you. When I went to the gun shop with her I walked away from the counter because it needs to be something she likes and is comfortable with.
i just gotta say... the absolute & most effective safety feature on ANY gun is what is in between your ears!

& for home defense, i'd prefer a shot gun any day.

#32 ·
The 9mm revolver is a good idea and often forgotten. They can also be downloaded to 9x18.

While I don`t have it in my hands, and can`t tell you squat about it. If the 1911 platform interest you and 9mm. Look at the LDA Para Carry9, not cheap. Although I got mine for cheap, you might get lucky too.

#33 ·
Welcome to TFF Mrs. John. The gun show idea is a good one. My wife had polio as a child and can't manage an auto. Over the years she has had the opportunity to shoot a number of different firearms and has settled on a 4" bbl. S&W mod. 10 in .38 spec. She shoots it well but cannot reload quickly and can't manage reloaders. Fortunately she shoots well enough she may never have to reload under stress. Her back up is a machete. Hope this info helps.

#34 ·
I agree with 358 on the revolver. They are simple to operate and an added advantage is that all the springs are at rest unlike the magazine spring in an auto. The revolver can lie in a drawer for years and still be ready for instant use. If not a carry gun then you are not limited by barrel length and a 4 inch has good balance. A .38 special with mid range wadcutters has very little recoil or possibly a Ruger 101 in .32 Magnum(Although that has very little recoil it is LOUD)

#35 ·

~john
Here are a couple of pics to prove that i am a man.... :D

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    49.1 KB Views: 190
  • 46.6 KB Views: 191
#36 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are going to a gun show this weekend and I am going to try out a lot of different kinds of guns. I'm not looking for a small pocket pistol, I want something just for at home. I like the feel of a revolver but I like the way semi-autos look. I might try the 9mm revolver, I haven't thought about that yet. I'm really thinking about a 1911 in 9 mm.
If it's possible in your area. Go to a gun shop that has a range with a lot of different hand guns that you can shoot on site to see if you like one.
And welcome to the site.

#38 ·
I am not an expert on guns and what kind you should try. But in your post you stated your hands are weak. I would suggest you go to a sporting goods store or Wal-Mart and get yourself a hand strengthing device to help make your hands stronger. Getting your hands stronger in my opinion will open the door to many more choices for a gun you can choose for self defense.

What I am thinking of is more along these lines:
http://www.gymcor.com/tkoexhagr.html

#42 ·
I tried the walther p22 yesterday and I really liked it. I like the idea about strengthing my hands and I probably will go get me one of those hand strengtheners. I also tried the sig sauer p225 and I couldn't rack the slide but it fit my hand great.
thanks,

#43 ·
I'm late to this thread but even a 9mm if it's a short barreled light semi auto has plenty of recoil. A heavier gun absorbs the recoil better if you are going to a 9mm semi auto.

I still think a revolver in 22LR is a better choice based on what you stated above.

#44 ·
You might look at the S&W hammerless titanium .38 airweight. It's very light and fits comfortably in a women's small hand. With no exposed hammer to catch on purse or pants and the safety of double action it's a near perfect weapon. If you can handle the re-coil of +P ammo, so much the better.

#46 ·
for some reason everyone that suggests a weapon for my wife thinks *double action revolver* but christina cannot pull a double action trigger on most guns. her fangerz are weak. the exception to this that i have found is a worn out ruger security six we looked at. but it didnt suit her fancy much. she likes the look of the beretta px4 so whenever we get the chance she wants to try one. i think she might like some of beretta's other offerings, and she agrees the pictures look pretty, but she hasn't had a chance to hold any yet. anyways. she aint looking for a carry piece, but more of a house gun/general shooting gun. so a good trigger is important.

#48 · (Edited)
I will throw in my 2 cents.

If you like the automatics and 9mm isn't to bad of recoil for you then you may want to try a Smith&Wesson 3914. This is my wifes pistol and she loves it (trust me I have offered her every gun out there for it). The only thing not stock on it is the grips (hogue's) and hammer, I replaced it with a 2nd generation so it would have a spur on it. The slide is really easy to work, and with it being single stack it has a small but comfortable grip.

The new version appears to be model 908 (its spurless also) but they have a model 910 which would give you 2 more rounds and has the spur on it already if you want one with the spur.

#50 ·
Ok, why not a .32 revolver?[/url]
Dear John's wife,

I have severe Rueumatoid Arthritis in my hands. I cannot shoot a 9mm, nor 38, nor Bersa 380. I have a Ruger 327 magnum, it is a revolver. 327 is usually too much for me. I usually shoot a 32 magnum. But, the Ruger also shoots 32 longs and 32 shorts. And these have little recoil. I shoot two handed and single action. I pull the trigger with ny left thumb and trigger with right index finger. This gives me good purchase on my weapon. My fingers cannot shoot most double action guns. It is a 3 inch barrel and weighs 28 ounces. The weight reduces felt recoil. I love it. Try it, you will like it.

Even if I can shoot the larger calibers, I cannot control where they shoot. Win 358 is so right. Shoot what you can use effectively. Your life may depend on it.:cool:

#51 ·
Would have to go with a 327 mag as well, shot one over the weekend and fell in love with it. Give em a try and see what you think, Guns are personal things and it may take you a while to find the one that fits you.Welcome and be safe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.