pistol suggestions

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by John'sWife, Sep 22, 2009.

1. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have part of the group. I to would advise a nice lightweight revlover to start with like this one on the link I posted.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/725327341093.html

I tried to get my wife to go the revolver route, but she insisted on taking my beloved Glock 23 and that I should go get something else.

Good luck with your choice.:D
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

How do we really know that you are indeed johnlives4christ's wife...and not just johnlives4chirst himself....sitting in front of the computer in his wifes underwear having fun yanking our chains.....?? :eek::eek::eek::D:D

Like...hey...it could happen?? :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  3. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

sig mosquito You will need to be very strong if you make this choice. More than likely you will have to beat your attacker with it, it will be an expensive plastic hammer. The .22 caliber is not where to start-ever!!

.380 minimum
  4. miata55

miata55 New Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of gun preferences :D So since everyone else has one - so do I. For a small hand and needing something that won't kick your brains out - has anyone suggested a 9mm revolver to you? Yes they make them (S&W, Taurus) and mine doesn't kick nearly as hard as my Sig P250 9mm, Bersa Compact Pro 9mm, or Bersa Plus .380. And since you won't be practicing as much as a lot of us old gun nuts - a revolver is a definite plus - open purse, hold grip, pull trigger, problem solved. My wife has small hands and her Taurus 9051CH fits very well. Occasionally you can still find a 9051 for sale and Taurus still makes a Model 905 in 9mm. S&W (You know - $$$$$$$) has a Model 60LS . Just a suggestion. But whatever you get - - practice, practice, practice. Ammo is a LOT cheaper than a casket.
  5. John'sWife

John'sWife Former Guest

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are going to a gun show this weekend and I am going to try out a lot of different kinds of guns. I'm not looking for a small pocket pistol, I want something just for at home. I like the feel of a revolver but I like the way semi-autos look. I might try the 9mm revolver, I haven't thought about that yet. I'm really thinking about a 1911 in 9 mm.
  6. John'sWife

John'sWife Former Guest

You can tell I am not Johnlives4Christ because I use capitilazation and punctuation. He couln't fit in my underwear anyways. lol.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if i had a nickel for every time i thought about doing this.....

you know mike, how do WE know you're not mike's wife setting in front of the computer pretending to be mike whom doesnt have a wife?

~john
  8. artabr

artabr New Member

Now we're having fun. ;) :D :D :D

Art
  9. DBMJR1

DBMJR1 New Member

While at the gun show, try to handle one of Ruger's new 'Light Carry Revolvers', or LCR. If you can find one in .32 caliber, you would have options on what ammunition you used, much in the same way a .357 can shoot .38 special ammunition.

This would give you the ability to practice with less recoil, and load the heavier stuff for shooting intruders.

While nobody can pick a firearm for you, I highly recommend a revolver for a novice. It is simple to operate in a situation where clear thinking might be a luxury.

With you having stated that you have weak hands, I would also be concerned about your ability to clear a misfeed in a semi-automatic handgun. Especially in a panic situation.

If the .32 doesn't float your boat, then I would look at the .357's for the same reasons.

Many will tell you that a .22 is no good for self defense. They are partially correct. In skilled hands, a .22 is very deadly, and the caliber has probably killed more than all others. IN SKILLED HANDS. I say that, because it requires devotion, and practice to be confident enough to place that little bitty round in the brain pan, in a panic situation. If you are not willing to devote that much time, and effort to this, then stay away from the .22 caliber handguns.

These are just my opinions, and I am in no way an expert.

Good luck at the gun show.
  10. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

get out of my head....get out of my head.....get out of my head!!!:rolleyes:
  11. rosierita

rosierita New Member

i just gotta say... the absolute & most effective safety feature on ANY gun is what is in between your ears!

& for home defense, i'd prefer a shot gun any day.
  12. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

The 9mm revolver is a good idea and often forgotten. They can also be downloaded to 9x18.

While I don`t have it in my hands, and can`t tell you squat about it. If the 1911 platform interest you and 9mm. Look at the LDA Para Carry9, not cheap. Although I got mine for cheap, you might get lucky too.
  13. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Welcome to TFF Mrs. John. The gun show idea is a good one. My wife had polio as a child and can't manage an auto. Over the years she has had the opportunity to shoot a number of different firearms and has settled on a 4" bbl. S&W mod. 10 in .38 spec. She shoots it well but cannot reload quickly and can't manage reloaders. Fortunately she shoots well enough she may never have to reload under stress. Her back up is a machete. Hope this info helps.
  14. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

I agree with 358 on the revolver. They are simple to operate and an added advantage is that all the springs are at rest unlike the magazine spring in an auto. The revolver can lie in a drawer for years and still be ready for instant use. If not a carry gun then you are not limited by barrel length and a 4 inch has good balance. A .38 special with mid range wadcutters has very little recoil or possibly a Ruger 101 in .32 Magnum(Although that has very little recoil it is LOUD)
  15. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Here are a couple of pics to prove that i am a man.... :D

Attached Files:

16. Michael G

Michael G New Member

If it's possible in your area. Go to a gun shop that has a range with a lot of different hand guns that you can shoot on site to see if you like one.
    And welcome to the site.
  17. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

My daughter has some physical disabilities that made her choose a revolver and she chose the Ruger LCR and we keep Hornady Critical Defense 38+P ammo in it. So far it has been a good gun.

Glock - :eek::eek::eek:

Old Guy
  18. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I am not an expert on guns and what kind you should try. But in your post you stated your hands are weak. I would suggest you go to a sporting goods store or Wal-Mart and get yourself a hand strengthing device to help make your hands stronger. Getting your hands stronger in my opinion will open the door to many more choices for a gun you can choose for self defense.

What I am thinking of is more along these lines:
    http://www.gymcor.com/tkoexhagr.html
  19. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Thats pretty scary!!:eek::eek:
  20. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Hi John's wife try the Walther P22 it is great for a women and it is not heavy at all and u can get it in all colors, i shot one and fell in love, it's a gun i can handle easily