The Firearms Forum banner

pistol suggestions

8K views 67 replies 50 participants last post by  cluznar 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, most of you know "Johnlives4Christ", I am his wife. I'm new to the gun thing and I got on here to see if anyone had suggestions. My situation is I want a self defense pistol but I have really small and weak hands. I can't shoot real big calibers b/c of the recoil. I was thinking about a sig mosquito or a mini revolver for a .22. My husband suggested a 1911 in 9mm. On most semi-automatics that I've tried is was really hard to rack the slide and I can't pull back a double action trigger. I'm looking for a lightweight, easy to operate gun that would get the job done should I ever need it.

thanks,

#2 ·
First, WELCOME!!

If where you are located and it is legal, I would look at the Ruger LCP .380. We can't get them in CA except for LEO's, but it is a very nice personal protection firearm. Personally, I wouldn't go below a .380 for personal protection, but that's my opinion.

If you can own purchase one where you live, I would suggest looking at it. IMHO.

#3 ·
Mrs John's wife,
I have been around some and have helped lots of older ladies and smaller young ladies as well as some handicapped folks find what is right for them.
Now only you and no one else can pick your gun.
I tried at least fifty different handguns with my wife before she made her pick.
She went with a Smith & Wesson model 317 air lite with a three inch barrel and high visible sights in 22 Long Rifle. It was her decision.

Now many people will; tell you that that is to small a caliber or that you shouldn't shoot anything smaller then this or that caliber, I agree with them in most cases! I love a 1911 45 or a revolver in 357 mag. 44 mag or 45 ACP
I own and shoot them all.

Just remember one thing the smaller the caliber the more important shot placement is. A 22 caliber is what I call a doctor gun, it should be placed in the ear - eye - nose -throat before the trigger is pulled. The wife has her custom 20 gauge pump 18 1/2 barrel as well as her M1 Carbine close at hand when she is home alone, nothing beats a pump shotgun!!

Last thing I would strongly recommend a revolver over a semi-auto to start with. The revolver is simple pick it up, point it at what you want to shoot and pull the trigger. With a semi-auto the slide will need to be racked or the hammer cocked back then the safeties checked then you are ready to point and shoot ( takes lots of learning to do all this in a dark room from a dead sleep). The other option is a DAO and the trigger on most is very hard for a smaller lady to pull.
NO ONE CAN PICK OUT THE RIGHT GUN FOR YOU BUT YOU!

#4 ·
Hello everyone, most of you know "Johnlives4Christ", I am his wife. I'm new to the gun thing and I got on here to see if anyone had suggestions. My situation is I want a self defense pistol but I have really small and weak hands. I can't shoot real big calibers b/c of the recoil. I was thinking about a sig mosquito or a mini revolver for a .22. My husband suggested a 1911 in 9mm. On most semi-automatics that I've tried is was really hard to rack the slide and I can't pull back a double action trigger. I'm looking for a lightweight, easy to operate gun that would get the job done should I ever need it.

thanks,
First Welocome to the forum! I'm another fan of .380's for ladies, and men as well. The .308 is really a minimum round for self defence. The recoil is low, and the spring in the slide is not as strong as it is in more powerfull pistols, thus making it easier to rack the slide. Head on down to your local gun dealer and try the feel of a few. .380's can be had in 8 to 20 round capacities.

#5 ·
my suggestion would be a nice revolver perhaps a ruger, smith or taurus. 38/357 caliber. heavy enough to soak up recoil, option of using in single action, no slide racking. fool proof, timeless, reliability is top notch. less costly than most 1st rate automatics barrel lenght from 2 in to 6inch. a 3 inch barrel being in my opinion the best for both home or carry. the newer lite weight guns from smith and taurus pack easy but they have more recoil. my wife has the choice of 50 different handguns to pick from. she has tried most of them and has settled on a colt single action army, in 44 special 4 3/4 in barrel she has small hands and likes the idea of having to cock the gun for each shot. thats her house gun. when she feels the need to toss one in her purse to travel she has picked a colt cobra in 38 spl.

#8 ·
+1 on Winchester's coments.

There are many variations of the venerable .38 revolver - so many that there is likely one for you. I believe you should start there.

I might also say take a look at a .32 revolver. They seem to be scarce though.

Welcome and good luck!

#9 ·
I agree on the revolver post. Simple to operate and always ready. You didn't state if it's for carry or just in the home/car. A S&W Mdl 10 or a Ruger SP101, both great revolvers. Once you get one shoot it often.

#10 ·
Hello and welcome! You have already got some good suggestions. It does take some hands on to figure out what your comfortable with. If you have the opportunity to shoot some different calibers before you shop that might help. Even if you find what feels right, the recoil may not be what you can handle comfortably. There are many lightweight choices but the recoil will be increased. Dont let someone talk you into something your not comfortable with. Take your time.

#11 ·
Welcome, Johns Wife.
It great to see another lady join the forum and shooting. The more the better. ;) :)

I have to agree with Winchester 358. YOU chose your gun.
You have to find something that you are comfortable with.
And practice, practice, practice.

Art

#12 ·
Mrs. John,

You've been getting a lot of good advice regarding the selection of a personal defense weapon. I have no arguments with anything posted so far.

However if you have some physical limitation such as hand size, strength, dexterity, etc., you might want to consider a less conventional option such as a NAA Mini-Revolver in 22 magnum. This is a small, easily concealable, short-range handgun. It definitely has it's limitations regarding stopping power and range but again, if you're not comfortable with a larger weapon, it's better than having no weapon at all. Here is a link to check out:

http://www.naaminis.com/magnum.html

I have a pretty good array of personal protection firearms from 22 to 45 caliber. The 22 is a NAA mini.

Good luck,

John

#13 ·
:) welcome aboard!

i agree w/ the revolver suggestion. our daughter insists on 22s. she has shot my 32 mag ultralite before & does okay. that's actually what i carry most of the time simply bc i love my gun.

like i tell her, shot placement is key, but i would highly recommend the revolver. all you have to do w/ those is point & click.

& nothing substitutes for PRACTICE. caliber means nothing if you cannot hit the broadside of a barn!

#17 ·
could be the 38 kicked harder . what model were you shooting what was the guns weight ? what type of bullet were you firing ? a nice mid range wad cutter in non +p form doesn't kick much from a smith model 10 but the same round in one of those new fangled air weights can feel aggressive

#19 ·
My wife is also in the process of getting a hand gun, she was shown the Ruger LCP and liked the gun but was turned off by the lack of safety features on the gun. She is going to try a Bersa Thunder and the walther PPK next and see how she likes them. I do agree that you need to find what is right for you. When I went to the gun shop with her I walked away from the counter because it needs to be something she likes and is comfortable with.

#20 ·
I think it's best to try as many models as you can. I like a variety of calibers and can handle them fine usually, but my Walther PPK/S is not easy to rack. That little sucker has a tough spring and needs a thorough breaking in, once I can find .380 ammo....

Shop shop shop!

#21 ·
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have part of the group. I to would advise a nice lightweight revlover to start with like this one on the link I posted.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/725327341093.html

I tried to get my wife to go the revolver route, but she insisted on taking my beloved Glock 23 and that I should go get something else.

Good luck with your choice.:D

#22 ·

thanks,
How do we really know that you are indeed johnlives4christ's wife...and not just johnlives4chirst himself....sitting in front of the computer in his wifes underwear having fun yanking our chains.....?? :eek::eek::eek::D:D

Like...hey...it could happen?? :D:D:D:D

mike
gn

#24 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of gun preferences :D So since everyone else has one - so do I. For a small hand and needing something that won't kick your brains out - has anyone suggested a 9mm revolver to you? Yes they make them (S&W, Taurus) and mine doesn't kick nearly as hard as my Sig P250 9mm, Bersa Compact Pro 9mm, or Bersa Plus .380. And since you won't be practicing as much as a lot of us old gun nuts - a revolver is a definite plus - open purse, hold grip, pull trigger, problem solved. My wife has small hands and her Taurus 9051CH fits very well. Occasionally you can still find a 9051 for sale and Taurus still makes a Model 905 in 9mm. S&W (You know - $$$$$$$) has a Model 60LS . Just a suggestion. But whatever you get - - practice, practice, practice. Ammo is a LOT cheaper than a casket.

#25 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are going to a gun show this weekend and I am going to try out a lot of different kinds of guns. I'm not looking for a small pocket pistol, I want something just for at home. I like the feel of a revolver but I like the way semi-autos look. I might try the 9mm revolver, I haven't thought about that yet. I'm really thinking about a 1911 in 9 mm.

#26 ·
How do we really know that you are indeed johnlives4christ's wife...and not just johnlives4chirst himself....sitting in front of the computer in his wifes underwear having fun yanking our chains.....?? :eek::eek::eek::D:D

Like...hey...it could happen?? :D:D:D:D

mike
gn
You can tell I am not Johnlives4Christ because I use capitilazation and punctuation. He couln't fit in my underwear anyways. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.