Pistolenschutze.....Connections

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Xracer, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

PS.....do you remember the old PBS program "Connections"? It showed how happings in the past can lead to unforseen changes to the future.

Well, I was sitting in my easy chair and letting my brain freewheel and came up with this.

In the mid-1930's Japan invaded Manchuria, as a result of which the U.S. cut off oil sales to Japan.

The Japanese, being a large oil user, set their sights on the oil supplies in Indonesia and Indo-China......which resulted in the war in the Pacific.....and the bombing of Pearl Harbor to keep the U.S. Fleet from interfering with the Jap conquests.

In retaliation, and mostly for propaganda purposes, we launched the Dolittle raid......which led the Japs to realize that the home islands were vulnerable.

As a result, they decided to take Midway as a forward base of a defensive perimiter to protect Japan and behind which to consolidate their conquests.

As a diversion, the Japs also attacked the Aleutians in Alaska......as a result of which the U.S. built the Alcan Highway to send military troops and supplies to defend Alaska.

After the war, the Alaskan Highway, being a direct land route, led to the opening of Alaska to commerce and development, and ultimately to statehood. Also it led to the discovery of the oilfields on the North Slope, the drilling, and the pipeline to Valdez......from which most of the oil is shipped to guess where? Why, Japan, of course!

Ain't history grand!!!! :D :D :D
  2. X, yes I do remember "Connections" and in fact watched all the episodes. The guy that hosted the show (I forget his name; it's hell getting old :D ), and apparently did much of the research, was pretty sharp.

The scenerio you deliniated on the progress of Japan toward war is quite accurate, and the connections very real. Japan, early in the 20th century, set its sights on becoming a world power. To do that, it was obviously necessary to industrialize on a vast scale. To industrialize, Japan needed the one thing it simply did not possess in the Home Islands: raw materials, especially oil, iron, and bauxite for production of aluminium. It was lack of these materials that led Japan to its invasion of China in the 1930s. As a nation with a huge economic stake in the Pacific, the United States reacted to the invasion by cutting off critical supplies--particularly oil, but also iron ore and scrape metal--in the hope that such actions would coerce the Japanese into curtailing their ambitions without direct military intervention. Ironically, these actions ultimately had the opposite effect. After the militarists achieved supremacy in the 1930s, the actions of the U.S. were looked upon as an effort to prevent Japan from taking its "rightful place" as the supreme power in Asia. As Japan saw it, the only impediment to its control of the western Pacific was the American 7th Fleet. One connection you forgot to mention is that it was Japan's ambitions in the Pacific which actually led the U.S. to redeploy the 7th Fleet from its base in San Diego to Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, thus making possible a Japanese air attack. History often has its ironies. The very actions we took to prevent war, actually led to it in the end.