Pistols Questions about Comp. Shooting

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Andrewwolf, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Andrewwolf

Andrewwolf New Member

Hello
    First off, I am somewhat new to pistol shooting. I did what was required in the Army, and a little outside, but most of my Shooting experience is Target Rifle(from bolt.22 to 600+meters with 308).
    Here is my question(s) I am looking to purchase my first, and only pistol(I live in California. We voted out the 2 amendment a few years ago..for cheaper gas). I want to use it for home/self defense, but I am also VERY interested in sport shooting(IDPA, USPSA, Steel Target{I live 35 minutes from Piru, CA}) The pistols I am looking at are; FN FNP 45, EAA Witness(Match or P carry in 10mm, then convert to 45acp, and perhaps 40sw/9mm), CZ SP-01 Tactical(since Shadows are impossible to find, and probably more then I can afford..$650 tops), Beretta Storm Px4 45acp, or Walther P99QA in 40SW or 9mm.
    In one case (the EAA in 10mm) my caliber choice is based more on the fact that all but 1(Walther, perhaps the CZ)are on the California DOJ safe list, and since the EAA is convertible I might as well get the most unique of the bunch.
    I realize that I am asking one firearm to be able to perform numerous different tasks, and that it may be very hard to find one that suits all my needs, but as long as it can do some of them I should be fine.
    If anyone has an opinion, creative criticism, suggestion, or helpful idea on the subject. I would be grateful. Thanks
  2. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

my vote goes for the CZ I carry a P-01 almost everyday and shoot it some in competition. granted i dont have experience with many of the others to do a compare/contrast, but i dont think you will be dissapointed with the CZ

ETA: also what i understand is that EAA is a CZ clone, so you may find them to be very similar.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  3. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

I shoot USPSA - Production with my Glock 22 (40 cal). Even though the Glock 40's have a little more muzzle flip than others, I use it because that is what I have. My Colt Commander is 9mm, but is about 50 years old, belonged to my grandfather, so I don't want to use it in competition.

Although, I love the 40 cal, I think a good 9mm will suit your needs. Check out USPSA and IDPA web sites to gather some info before making decisions on guns. I would suggest, you visit a match and talk to members about pistol choices before spending the money on a gun.

Comp shooting is addictive and a lot of fun. Good luck with your choices.:)

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/production_list.php
    http://www.idpa.com/