Pistols thorough time:1858, 1895, 1930, 1990 (132 years)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by sharpie443, Jul 23, 2012.

1. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

I had the idea for this video last night after cleaning out my safe. I discovered that i had one hundred and eighty three years of firearms history. Starting from the 1807 Harpers Ferry pistol to the Jerich 941 introduced in 1990. I put together a shooting vidio of all but the 1807 Harpers Ferry pistol because it is broken, Probably permanently. So here is the vidio hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWREY-goH3I
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

wouldn't let me vote for ya ( YT block for oz and guns ) but cheers to you !! whats up with the harpers?
  3. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

It have a very weak main spring on top of having very bad lock geometry. The frizzen spring is stronger than the main spring. So getting it to spark is next to impossible with even a brand new flint. I only paid about $250 for the gun and it would cost about that for someone to work on it.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

you got a decent gas torch ?? re temper the spring , harpers steel aint bad

take it off and heat the bend , to a nice yellow orange colour and bend out so the tips are now 1/4" farther apart then quench

then re heat to a 80 yellow

i can supply you with a print out colour sheet , print it on some shirt box clear plastic , then you can look through it to match the colour

and oil quench ( lighter oil the better for that )

the 80 yellow is higher than the 70 yellow we would use for modern steels but that to allow for the extra carbon in the metal

but it'll re-tension the spring nice and reset its strength nice ( or should )

let me know if you wish to play , aint hard ..
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

geometry is figuring the where and how much and the counter , a right bloody pain ,

frizzen , do the reverse of above but 1/16 " and test , that should just over halve it if its right on 9 lb at close